Sep 10, 2006, 03:16 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Hot motor after 10 mins of hovering

I have a HB FP2 with everything stock except the super landing gear. There are several couple seconds of break during the 10 mins hovering. No FF or anything else, just hovering with the canopy.

I touched motor with my finger and it burns. Is this normal? I know the super landing gear is heavy, but it keeps the heli stable and it handles well on hard landings.

What should I do to reduce the motor temp low? Switching back to the stock landing gear is one option, is any other?

what about lower voltage of battery? Would it keep the motor running cool? I have a 8.4V stock NiMh 650 MAH battery. I may want to upgrade it to Lipo 1250Mah 7.4V.

Probably a flat buttom main blade to reduce the drag? Any comments? Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 10, 2006, 03:24 PM
An easy way to cut down heat would be to actually cut out the vents on the HB canopy (on the FP, they're just stickers) and to add a heatsink to the motor. BPHobbies has them for $1.23.

Oh, and I'd stay away from flat bottom blades...they won't do much of anything on a fixed pitched heli like this.
Sep 10, 2006, 03:37 PM
I experimented with flat bottom blades (modification to the stock blades) and it would barely fly with them. They just don't make enough lift, unless you go to 3 cell lipo packs. Mpatton has the right advice. Cut out the fake vents on the canopy and add heat sinks. The motor will still get pretty warm, but you won't leave skin behind if you touch it.

Incidentally, hovering makes the motor work harder than forward flight. It'll stay cooler when you get to the point of actually flying it around.

-Chris
Sep 10, 2006, 03:51 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the advices. I glad I didn't buy the white flat buttom blades from HeliDirect. I already cut an opening on both sides of the canopy. But the motor is still like a hot potato. I probably need to get the heat sink.
Sep 10, 2006, 04:14 PM
The Great Santini
Yes, get a heat sink. Even with a heat sink, you may need to take a couple of minute break every five minutes or so if you are just hovering. Check after a few minutes. Your motor will last longer if you do not overheat it.
Sep 10, 2006, 06:14 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Santini
Yes, get a heat sink. Even with a heat sink, you may need to take a couple of minute break every five minutes or so if you are just hovering. Check after a few minutes. Your motor will last longer if you do not overheat it.
Would the heat sink universal? What if I am going to upgrade my motor to a brushless motor? would the heat sink still fit on it?
Sep 10, 2006, 08:25 PM
Discusman, the heat sink for the stock motor probably won't fit a brushless, which will likely be a bit smaller in diameter. We're only talking about a couple of bucks here. Buy the heat sink.

See my reply to your other thread about the brushless upgrade for your FP2.

-Chris
Sep 11, 2006, 12:27 AM
Remove the canopy and you will be amazed at how much cooler the motor runs! It gets air cooled by the rotor wash. The canopy blocks a lot of the air flow when hovering so the motor tends to get hot. The heli doesn't look as cool, but the motor should last longer and stay cooler. I didn't fly mine with the stock Nimh batts more than a couple of flights, but that is also why yours is heating up. Couple the 8.4V battery with the heavy super landing gear WITH the canopy on and only hovering....all these things add up to a hot motor.

Get a heatsink, remove the canopy for hovering and install the stock landing gear. When you can afford the 2s lipos, get them. If you are having trouble breaking the landing gear, then my advise would be to get the training gear as it will help protect the landing gear and likely be lighter than the super landing gear (just a guess there).
Flynfrfun
Sep 11, 2006, 01:16 AM
Failure Is Not An Option.
Chris, do you know how hot your little Faigeau (sp?) brushless motor gets? Mine is at 150 to 155 right after a 15 minute flight (Before the latest changes to my heli.) Not sure if that is about normal or high. With all the extra weight I just added I'm real curious how hot it will get now.
Sep 11, 2006, 08:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynfrfun
Remove the canopy and you will be amazed at how much cooler the motor runs! It gets air cooled by the rotor wash. The canopy blocks a lot of the air flow when hovering so the motor tends to get hot. The heli doesn't look as cool, but the motor should last longer and stay cooler. I didn't fly mine with the stock Nimh batts more than a couple of flights, but that is also why yours is heating up. Couple the 8.4V battery with the heavy super landing gear WITH the canopy on and only hovering....all these things add up to a hot motor.

Get a heatsink, remove the canopy for hovering and install the stock landing gear. When you can afford the 2s lipos, get them. If you are having trouble breaking the landing gear, then my advise would be to get the training gear as it will help protect the landing gear and likely be lighter than the super landing gear (just a guess there).
Flynfrfun
I am not sure if this is true or not. I noticed the heli is much stable with the canopy and the superlanding gear on. There is a tail heavy issue with stock battery holder on the stock landing gear. I heard ppl add quarters on top of their 4 in 1 to keep the heli balanced.

I had trainning gear with my stock landing gear before. But the landing gear was still broke left and right. However my skill is much better now, but I get hard landings once a while still. So removing the super landing gear probably is not a good idea.
Sep 11, 2006, 08:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilotSmith
Chris, do you know how hot your little Faigeau (sp?) brushless motor gets? Mine is at 150 to 155 right after a 15 minute flight (Before the latest changes to my heli.) Not sure if that is about normal or high. With all the extra weight I just added I'm real curious how hot it will get now.
You know, I really don't know the temps. I tried to buy an IR temp gun at Harbor Freight a few weeks ago and they were out of stock.

It gets pretty warm, but not hot enough to leave skin. I'm running an E-Flite heat sink (the 3/4 round kind from the Park 400 motor). I'm really impressed with this little motor. And it seems to still have good punch, even with the weight you're lugging around. (which is pretty cool looking, btw)

-Chris

Quick Reply