Sep 08, 2006, 11:52 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Show your Slow Stick wings

I'd like to see some pictures of ppl using wings on the slow sticks that are not the stock ones.

I'm mainly interested in seeing wings that are great for use in aerial photography and that cut through the wind better.

Also, if your wings are commercially available, I would appreciate you posting a link on where to purchase them.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2006, 03:30 PM
The black wing is a standard magpie wing and works pretty good. Does not float as well, but smoother and cuts through wind.
Sep 08, 2006, 03:49 PM
Thread OP
Hi lvspark,

Is that a magpie tail also?
Sep 08, 2006, 10:15 PM
American MoonMan
SSV2 custom wing as setup for easy breakdown. 60"X8" polyhedral custom foam with modified Clark Y airfoil. Strong, stable, and great penetration.

Joe
Sep 08, 2006, 10:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvspark
The black wing is a standard magpie wing and works pretty good. Does not float as well, but smoother and cuts through wind.
Are you using the standard SS LE and TE wing brackets?

I decided there was too much angle of attack and went with two LE brackets. I was using a MP AP wing at the time. Just curious as to what you had found.

R/E
Sep 08, 2006, 10:51 PM
Studies the wind
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvspark
Those are beautiful airplanes, but gosh, they do look naked to me when they don't have cameras on them.
Sep 08, 2006, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the kind words...
The tails are 2mm coroplast and I use the standard brackets. I tried the 2 LE brackets but it flew to fast in glide mode so I put the standard brackets back on and added some downthrust. Now I can run both the standard wing and the magpie wing on the same airframe and just change them depending upon conditions.

They do have cameras... The black one has a video camera on the landing gear with a video downlink on the tail boom. The red one has and Olympus 3.2mp @ CG, out of sight..

I have changed them a bit since then, but those tail feathers have lasted forever.. Lasted longer than several planes!

Edit, proof of cameras : Both planes on a vineyard job.. Red on took the stills, and black one took the video.. http://www.rsnw.com/lcv12.wmv
Sep 09, 2006, 05:26 PM
I have been flying an AeroBird Extreme wing on the standard mounts. It cuts the wind well, and is much more durable. I will have to get some pics of it sometime.
Dec 17, 2006, 07:49 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
I will be cutting the STEELHEAD SS wings again in mid January. They will let you fly with up to 36 ounces of payload, with the right setup.

We are also working on some newer wings for different AP applications.

Website is WWW.STEELHEADPRODUCTS.COM

Dean
Dec 29, 2006, 08:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelhead
I will be cutting the STEELHEAD SS wings again in mid January. They will let you fly with up to 36 ounces of payload, with the right setup.

We are also working on some newer wings for different AP applications.

Website is WWW.STEELHEADPRODUCTS.COM

Dean
Are you going to cut a larger wings for the SS ... like we see on the SSV2 or the Magpie AP? I'd be interested in a wing larger in area than the Magpie AP.
Can you tell us more about these newer wings?
Dec 30, 2006, 01:46 AM
Look! Up in the sky!
Cuts through the wind SO much better than the flimsy, fluttery, stock wing.
Still manages to slow for hand catches.

Making wings like this is practically free.
Dec 30, 2006, 10:38 PM
eBird,
Love the wing. Did you cut it yourself? Can I have some specs. .. AUW .. length .. chord and how does it handle? The over all area looks to be larger than the Magpie AP I have. It might be just the size I'm looking for.
Thanks Jazz
Dec 31, 2006, 01:10 AM
Look! Up in the sky!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzman2
eBird,
Love the wing. Did you cut it yourself? Can I have some specs. .. AUW .. length .. chord and how does it handle? The over all area looks to be larger than the Magpie AP I have. It might be just the size I'm looking for.
Thanks Jazz
This was my first attempt at building a wing from scratch, and it really was pretty easy. I just fashioned a wire cutter out of scrap wood, used a 12v transformer for power, then made a jig for the airfoil. Band saw comes in handy for cutting in the dihedral angle.

The 5x8 sheet of EPS foam from Home Depot was really cheap, and you can make lots of wings from one sheet.

Chord 10", span 58"

10° dihedral, 5° sweep on outer panels

AUW on this wing was 9.4oz, although it could easily be built an ounce or two lighter by going easy on the covering.

Here's the orig thread on this wing:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=371012
Dec 31, 2006, 07:25 PM
Well, if you can call it a Slowstick- it is really a SA 'Stik', non-ap version. used to be a true Slowstick. Normally used to carry an Aiptek 1.3sd. Once I get the heli AP setup (want to be able to fly in small areas, tight areas), then I will probably get the AP wing.
AXI 2808-24
jeti 30 amp ESC
HS 55 Servos
Hitec rx
Optic 6 tx
Flies Great!
-J
Dec 31, 2006, 08:07 PM
TROUT OR THERMALS
JAZZMAN2-
We are working on several different airfoils and aspect ratios/ tapers at the moment.

We will be offering the 11.5" chord STEELHEAD SS cores, and have them in different span panels.

Still working on a 55 inch tapered panel wing.

The question on tapered panels is the increase in performance on the tapered panels compared to the constant panels. There is less drag (and therefore less lift), and less wing area (higher wingloading) So the tapered wing results in a faster plane vs. a constant chord wing with the same span. If you increase the wing span of a tapered panel, you get less drag and lighter wingloading = BETTER SLOW FLIGHT, and Good overall speed range.

We also have a couple of wing planforms for AP specific planes that will be released only after thorough testing. These wings will not be new ideas, just new twists on old technology.

Wingsets are already offered with 60 inch spans, in either 8 inch or 10 inch chord. We have been cutting these for years as "custom cut cores" on the website. Many people have used these for their SlowSticks or AP work, but I have not yet advertised these wings specific for the SS or AP. So, to answer your question- "Are you going to cut a larger wings for the SS"? Yes we do.

We are currently not cutting cores for at least another week during our "Holiday Shutdown" but will have the CNC back up and running in a week or two. Please email any questions

Thanks

Dean

Quick Reply