Sep 07, 2006, 04:06 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Lookout RED BARON !!New Sopwith Camel 60 Arrived!

It is a happy day , but somewhat bittersweet . I have recieved my Hanger 9 Sopwith Camel 60 . , but thanks to surgery I'm not going to be able to build it for a while. With the help of Mrs Coastie , I have a few pics to share with those who may not have had a chance to see it yet. First impression was WOW!!, what a heavy box ...... feels like lead??? Well... turns out there is a big ol chunk of lead in the box ! That would be the nose balance/balast assembly.

It can be built gas or electric ......... My choice of course is electric.

Appears to be a first class ARF !!!

Freddie
Last edited by Coastwatcher; Sep 07, 2006 at 05:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 07, 2006, 04:20 PM
Old School E-Flyer turned FVP
If it needs that much nose weight then put a soundbox in it!!

keep posting your updates. i want to see this one step by step.

,mike
www.bigerc.com
Sep 07, 2006, 04:50 PM
Thread OP

The Weight

Here is the mystery box........ It contains a HEAVY 15.5 oz ( elecrtonic scale) rectangle of solid lead. That is WITHOUT the plywood box and hardware. Probally another 1-2 ozs. I may opt for a bigger battery load myself to relieve this dead weight.

Impressed I am with the gaint wheels with soft rubber tires . High grass here we come.

The wing spars are first class , heavy thick carved hardwood and finished in a clearcoat.

The PILOT is painted rubber figure and is high quality.

The Pilots Fuselage HAtch is a nice fiberglass assembly . it is painted, this is the BATTERY access for this plane. it is made to release to gain quick access to batteries.

The cowl is painted fiberglass .
Sep 07, 2006, 05:04 PM
How much and where did u get this kit? I'm serious if this plane needs that much nose weight then i'd consider putting a sound box in it.

After hearing this one.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...97#post6028678

and this one

http://media.putfile.com/H9-Hellcat-with-Sound

I am sold on doing this to one of my future planes. This camel looks like a good candidate.
Sep 07, 2006, 07:08 PM
Let er Rip
Wow,

How cool are those sound boxes, If I may, where would one purchase these sound boxes?

Going to need a couple of em. thanks for any help..

Jim
Sep 07, 2006, 07:31 PM
Check this thread for lots of info on building sound boxes.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=499371

www.benedini.de is where the electrical hardware comes from.
Sep 07, 2006, 07:35 PM
Thread OP
Mcharles13.

I got this kit from my local Horizon /Eflite dealer , he special ordered it a good while back when he first heard of its comming.

If I ageed to take the first one ( guinea pig ) , he cut me some slack .......200.00 ........I think the normal price is about 250.00

The sound thing is one option .

To use up some of that spare tire.......I would like a PAINT BALL GUN ...HEE HEE HE
Sep 07, 2006, 10:42 PM
MN WATTS Master
Hey awesome. I've looked at this one too but right now I'm short on large fields to fly the bigger birds from. Perhaps next year though.

Steve
Sep 08, 2006, 03:06 PM
Pickin' an a Flyin'
WOW, I want one of these. Alot of Hangar 9's at the field on any given weekend, they are a nice kit. Finally... something they make I'm actually interested in.

"Oh, look. Another P-51...."
Sep 08, 2006, 04:12 PM
Sure looks nice, is there room for lots and lots and lots of batteries to replace the lead?

Steve
Sep 08, 2006, 06:13 PM
Thread OP
Steve,

The weight box is designed to go on the front side of the firewall above the motor mount. It is held in with three screw , so you could remove it and add weight elsewhere.

The pic of the inside of the fuselage from the firewall to the second former , or the area of flat ply where the four large holes are .is where you can mount the gas tank or batt. pak. Nothing but batteries. The instruction manuel ASKS you to put the speed controller INSIDE the fuselage in this area . I will put mine under the motor area for cooling and weight reasons. The battery is just on the other side of the firewall. Anyway... It is HUGE area . The two TP 4200 2S Paks in the instruction manuel to power the Eflite 46 Take up a tiny little spot on that big flat ply section behind the firewall .

The kit comes with a metal frame mount for the electric motor....... a recomended... Eflite 46

It could be that bigger motor hung out front would give a better weight/power result without alot of hassle. Not sure if the next size eflite motor will work on the provided mount. But a larger motor just to add weight is something to consider . There is battery room to power about any motor you could want.
Sep 08, 2006, 06:23 PM
Thread OP

Motor Mount

Here is close up of the factory provided electric motor mount. It is a steel three piece deal. Not sure if it will mount to the next size Eflite motor or not. Will check.
Sep 08, 2006, 09:09 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
Walked into the LHS looking for a .40 tail wheel. Almost walked out with this kit! Man my GF would have killed me!!

Tommy D
Sep 08, 2006, 10:33 PM
That is a cool plane but why in the world would anyone go electric on a plane that big? It costs a fourtune! ( am I wrong? ) I can't understand electrics on planes over a couple of pounds.
Sep 08, 2006, 11:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy43
That is a cool plane but why in the world would anyone go electric on a plane that big? It costs a fourtune! ( am I wrong? ) I can't understand electrics on planes over a couple of pounds.

The costs of building larger electrics is coming down. The most expensive component is the battery packs. BUT as i have mentioned before there is a solution for large planes and battery packs. EMOLI'S!! They are a little heavier of lipo's of equal mAh, but cost between 50%-60% less, are a safer chemistry (not nearly as volatile, thermal runaway and combustion are almost non-existent), much more rugged and can be charged up to 3C.

This is more than sufficient for large planes who can take the weight penalty no prob and then some. I am seriously considering building this plane and using emoli's as power. It should balance nicely since it likes lots of nose weight.

Emoli's can be gotten in pre-made packs here. www.bigerc.com

Yes it's my site but the reason i started this company was to further large electric flight.

,mike
www.bigerc.com

Quick Reply