This thread is privately moderated by Doug Sipprell, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Sep 06, 2006, 11:07 AM
Elfi Flyer
Thread OP
Discussion

New member of the fleet!

Latest addition to the fleet: a Wendy.

Almost complete, needs some electrical measurements (amps, watts, etc.) and a spinner. Will fly it initially on a 2S1P TP 2100 lipo, then probably go to a 3S1P 2100 pack. This would require some modification of the battery shelf I built into the plane.

Power: MiniAC 1215/20
Direct Drive
Prop: Graupner CAM 6x3 Folding Prop
Servos: (4), all Hitec HS55's
Receiver: FMA M5V2
ESC: CC Phoenix 25
WS: 44"
Full 4 channel

If this drive system is overloaded, I might swap it out for a Mega 16/15/5 if it will fit. Could also run gear drive on the MiniAC motor but I understand that can get real noisy.

Won't maiden the plane till the spinner is obtained and installed.

Stay tuned if you are interested.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2006, 04:53 PM
Elfi Flyer
Thread OP

Wendy, the maiden

The Wendy flew for the first time this past Sunday. I was surprised to find that the motor and prop combination pulled better than expected, and would have flow with sufficient power on a 2S1P LiPo. However, I had it in my mind to use a 3S1P to be sure sufficient power was available for launch. Basically flew the plane at 40% throttle, one burst at very short duration. A problem with some binding of the rudder linkage and subsequent lack of complete self-centering. Easy to overcome with a little bump of rudder. However, the MiniAC was just not up to handling the juice. It failed 8 minutes into the second flight.

So, the entire motor mount arrangement will have to be cut off, as has been done by others, to accommodate a "400" size motor or, more specifically, a Mega 16/15/5. I fly this motor with 3S1P TP 2100 ProLites on T-Hawk #2 and the combination works fine, with a 25A CC Phoenix ESC. Will try to get the motor change out done 1st week in Oct. Should make for a very quick Wendy, knowing what the 16/15/5 has done for the T-Hawk.

Interesting to see how the Wendy handles like Elfi #2 but and lands like the modified Speedy 400. I expect it will thermal very well, make a great mini-warm liner.

RD
Sep 24, 2006, 10:10 AM
Elfi Flyer
Thread OP
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Sep 24, 2006 at 10:12 AM. Reason: repeat report
Nov 05, 2006, 09:45 PM
Elfi Flyer
Thread OP

Back up and Flying

I was able to change out the motor on the Wendy, from the Mini AC brushless to a Mega 16/15/5. Had to shorten the nose slightly, then install a suitable firewall for the Mega motor. With a TP 2100 3S1P LiPo, the plane flys very well on 40-50% throttle. Problem with tight linkage for the rudder has yet to be resolved. Can't recall if I took any picture of the modifications, if not, will get some taken.

RD
Nov 27, 2006, 11:34 AM
Elfi Flyer
Thread OP

Successful Motor Change Out

The Wendy is flying quite well now, using the Mega 16/15/5 and a Graupner 6x3 folding prop with 30mm spinner. Easy to hand launch and surprisingly easy going on both the 2100 3S1P TP LiPoly packs and Mega motor. No heat related problems as yet. Getting some glitchy servo action while on the table, but all smooths out when in flight, and also smooth when returned to the table after flight. Nervous preflight jitters with the servo's??

I need to get some upclose photos of the Mega motor installation. Several flights this weekend, one around 18 minutes. Looking for some thermals to really test the Wendy's sailplane characteristics. A mini-hotliner is ain't, but a smooth and quick flyer it is. I'm almost tempted to try a Mega 16/15/4!!

RD
Last edited by Doug Sipprell; Sep 16, 2007 at 09:48 PM.
Apr 21, 2008, 07:43 PM
Elfi Flyer
Thread OP

Wendy Update

It has been some time since I posted anything in the blog concerning the Wendy project. Nothing has changed since the Mega 16/15/5 was installed. The plane flies very well with the Mega/CC ESC/TP2100/6x3 folding prop powertrain configuration. Many flights since the last post. Amazing to see how the clean design of the Wendy allows longer flight times and less amperage draw from the LiPo pack. This exact power train system, except for the prop, was transfered from the T-Hawk #2. 8-10 minutes flights with this system in the T-Hawk really taxed the 2100 3S packs. Obviously, the T-Hawk was never designed to be so clean to the wind (aka drag), but the results in flight time and ease of pull on the LiPo packs is really amazing. Now I am wondering about going to a Mega 16/15/4 in the Wendy. Sort of a mini-hotliner approach.

It's a great plane, too bad it's out of production, as is the Elfi.

Quick Reply