Sep 15, 2006, 06:49 AM
The SEFF telescope guy.
I have been looking for a Cub in this size. I was interested in the Fly RC plans for a 48" cub but I would much prefer laser kit from MM. I have built a couple of their planes already. I would like to see this kit offered with flaps also.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 15, 2006, 07:08 AM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes

J-3, Clipped Wing, Super Cub, and L-4, Oh My!

In the spirit of Mountain Models plane versatility, we are probably going to do all 4 planes, though spread out slightly.

I am thinking it would be nice to have the fuse kits and wing kits available separately as well.

J-3: Stock Fuselage, Stock Wing, Stock Cowling
Clipped Wing: Different wing kit (basically just the spar, struts, and maybe loose a couple ribs)
Super Cub: Different Wing Kit and Cowling.
L-4: Different Fuselage Kit.

I was planning on the L-4 or Clipped wing version next, as there are very few of these available, and I donít think ANY in this size or smaller, but I may have to move the Super Cub up. It just depends on what people want.

Brian
Last edited by Mountain Models; Sep 15, 2006 at 07:18 AM.
Sep 15, 2006, 07:09 AM
Super Cub fan
I too vote for a PA-18 Super Cub and another option would be the military style green house windows. That way military fans could do something other than a yellow Cub. This kit looks great and is a good size, about the same size of my other liason plane, the L-19.
Sep 15, 2006, 07:37 AM
pray for our troops
I would second the L-4 Grasshopper (greenhouse windowed Cub). That would really be great. I'm wondering if decal sheets would be available for order or if we would have to get them special from somewhere like Callie Graphics?
Sep 15, 2006, 10:35 AM
pray for our troops

Aviation Art

I just wanted to share some Cub (L-4 Grasshopper) art as I really love the stuff. One that I have loved for quite some time is The Civilian and the Draftee by Mike Newcomer. I have had to have a Grasshopper since I first saw itbut didn't see a chance unless I kit bashed a Hobby Lobby Super Cub or a Herr Cub and I don't think my building skills are to that point. Looks like there's some hope now. This is truely great news.
Sep 15, 2006, 11:37 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
I'll throw in a vote for the L-4...
Sep 15, 2006, 02:33 PM
Eberwein:

L4 please!
I shall have an L4 in my stable (gonna put a silhouette of Henrey Fonda in the back seat). I have been considering a number options including a SIG kit. Anyway -- the size of your J3 is just about perfect.

Please make an L4 version -- pretty please?! You make it and I'll buy 'n build it! ;o)

Joe
Sep 17, 2006, 11:42 AM
Obviously I'm a "Minus Member"
Thread OP
I finished putting the Cub together Thursday night, including the graphics.
Friday morning, early, I was on my way to NEAT. I got back last night. Here are some pics of the completed MM/LA Cub sitting on the NEAT flightline.

Mark
Sep 17, 2006, 12:01 PM
Thread OP

J-3 Cub flies!

I decided not to fly the Cub at NEAT. Just too much traffic for me to fly a maiden there.

So, I took her out this morning, and the J-3 flew just fine. My final AUW, without battery, is 13 oz. With battery, it's 15.5 oz. This gives me a wingloading of right around 6.75 oz/sqft. The model flies very slowly, and is still very manueverable. Slows to a crawl to land (although I did tip her over on landing, but in thick grass). With my 400XT, most of the flight was at 1/3 power, maybe 1/2 power at take off. The 400XT is probably twice the power needed to fly this model.

I do have a wing warp issue I need to take care of, caused in part by one of the wing struts being a little too long. Brian has advised me that he has already adjusted the strut length, as he found a similar issue. As a result of the wing issue, I did need some left aileron trim to get her to fly straight and level. But after that, it was just a blast doing lazy 8's around the soccer field. I can envision flying this model 3-4 feet off the ground, doing just circuits and 8's for the entire flight. I'm no Cub expert, but I do think this model looks very scale just cruising around.

My setup for the maiden was:
Esky 400XT
Phx 25 (not necessary, but I had it on hand)
Hitec 05S receiver
PQ 3S 1100 battery (old, heavy 8-10C)
APC SF 8x4.3 prop

In terms of other set-up, I did put in aileron differential at a 60% level, and I put in 15% rudder-->aileron mix. After the flight, I decided to increase the R-->A mix to 20%, and I don't think 25% would be excessive, but I'll work up to that level, just to see the effect.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the way the model flew, and with its performance. Once I sort out the wing issue, it should be a hands-off flyer.
The wing issue, btw, is my fault, as Brian had told me I would need to adjust the strut length, I just didn't take out enough, which caused excessive washout in the right wingtip.

I also have to say that at the 48" wingspan, this model has a wonderful presence in the air.

I hope Brian will be able to get this model into production soon, so other builders can enjoy the J-3.

Mark
Sep 17, 2006, 02:32 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
Wow, they definitely captured the lines of the Cub.. That thing looks really nice..

I can't wait to see the Super Cub and the L-4!
Sep 17, 2006, 02:52 PM
Thread OP
Tram, Brian told me he is altering the vstab/rudder to be more scale. Also, depending on where you install the servos, height-wise, you could probably even put in a shallow cockpit, a pilot, etc. Add a simple instrument panel, some lights, and you'd have, I think, a pretty scale J-3.

Mark
Sep 17, 2006, 03:22 PM
Leave me alone!
Congrats, Mark! She looks great. Any chance of getting some video?

Martin
Sep 17, 2006, 04:20 PM
Thread OP
Thank you, Martin. Praise from the Master, indeed!

Unfortunately, my camera is a 7-8 year old generation 1, back when was 1.2MP was state-of-the-art. No movie function, and I don't have a camcorder (too much disposable income spent on modeling ). I'll have to check with some flying buddies and see if any of them have a more current camera.

Btw, for those who have an interest, the N numbers are the ones of the J-3 hanging in the Museum of Flight in Seattle. And Callie did the graphics for me, and they are perfect, as always.

I can't wait to see what you do with the MM/LA P-51, Martin.

Mark
Sep 18, 2006, 08:37 AM
The SEFF telescope guy.
I already voted for the next Cub version to be the Super Cub (looks like I may have been out voted) but just to show that I am a good sport I will take one of these as soon as it is available! I have 2 of the 400XT motors and will save the second one for the Super Cub when it is ready. Until then I will be enjoying this little beauty.
Sep 18, 2006, 08:42 AM
BYOP - Build Your Own Planes

Cub mods and expected release

OK, so for some stupid reason, I left out the balancing tab on top of the rudder... I have absolutely no idea why. That got put back into the design.

I had to increase the wing incidence by 1.2 degrees and increase the down thrust to 7 degrees. (After the latest build I'm working on, it might get 1 more degree of downthrust)

I do have an unformatted video of the first version before the added incidence and down thrust. I'll try to get it formatted and posted some time today or tonight. I'll get a new video shot of the latest version as soon as it's done.

Even with a whopping 3 degrees of dihederal total, it recovers quickly from ANY unusal attitude I could put it in, with 0 throttle and neutal sticks. It has a fairly large CG range so far and I haven't managed to find the aft limit yet because my battery tray is a bit short.

I have to finish building up the modifid fuselage, test fly it, build up the tweaked wing (only added a different servo mounting option), take pictures, shoot video, re-layout cut sheets, finalize plans, and make some kits. It should be out by Monday the 25th.

Brian

Quick Reply