Sep 09, 2006, 01:00 PM
"Rick.
PS We can sure be a nasty bunch sometimes. Whatever happened to "Good luck bringing this to market. I can't wait to see it"."

You're right. I can't wait to see it. I'm already 70 years old! Besides repealing the
laws of physics make me nasty. I get grouchy with the perpetual motion promoters too.

Have you personally seen the laser cat toy patent?

Ken K5MBV
to remove ads between posts
Sep 09, 2006, 01:15 PM
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by vhoward1122
Xtremelink may not be using copper clad pc boards. I work at K&K Sound Systems where we manufacture pickups, mixers, and preamps for musical intruments. We no longer use copper clad pc boards. Since the price of copper has skyrocketed, it is too costly. The metal used is a mixture of silver and some other metal I can't remember which, but can still be soldered to.
Okay then, any metal, copper or not. My point still stands regardless - there will be metal between the TX antenna and the aircraft.
Sep 09, 2006, 03:04 PM
Boffin
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicetieHave
you personally seen the laser cat toy patent?
Ken K5MBV
Yep. "Method of exercising a cat" #5,443,036. Has little sketches of a guy pointing a laser at the floor with a cat chasing it as it moves. The worst part is, there are about 6 more patents with variations on this theme.

PS There are so many patents involving spread spectrum and remote control, I think I'll just wait for Jim Drew to come back with the number.

PPS The antenna has circular polarisation doesn't it to get away from orientation problems?
Last edited by rpage53; Sep 09, 2006 at 03:22 PM.
Sep 09, 2006, 04:03 PM
I think this will not do well in the market unless they find a way to get a small 4-5 channel rx. The real interest is foamies and parkflyers these days judging by what I see in the LHS and in the air. Hopefully XPS will licence the rx tech to allow someone to make a tiny rx.

Hitec, oh where oh where is your SS system??
Sep 09, 2006, 04:57 PM
Actually, I think a 6-chan rx would be best for foamies. Even reduced range versions would be acceptable for these lesser channel rxs. I can't afford even 2 of these rx at USD99 a pop. Maybe only 1 every half year.

If you can get us 5-6 chan rx for 60 or less than Spektrum, then you would sell tons of them. I am not so worried about the tx modules, even though they are also VERY expensive, since I only need one for my Hitec Eclipse.

I wish Hitec would hurry up and get their version out now!

chewy
Sep 09, 2006, 05:03 PM
6 ch.? Two for ailerons/flap-spoilerons, one for throttle, rudder, elevator.... OK. at least 5. And make them mappable so that you could use one of the aileron channels for something else. And I agree 50-60 bucks is the price point to be at.
Sep 09, 2006, 05:04 PM
Ken, what amazes me more than the patents that the USPTO gives without consdieration to its own rules, is the fact that at 10K per patent, WHAT are the inventors thinking????
Sep 09, 2006, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutat
6 ch.? Two for ailerons/flap-spoilerons, one for throttle, rudder, elevator.... OK. at least 5. And make them mappable so that you could use one of the aileron channels for something else. And I agree 50-60 bucks is the price point to be at.
Small colective heli's need 6 ch. Also, some small models have flaps, camera, retracts or?

Larry
Sep 09, 2006, 05:11 PM
Good point on the helis. Not there (yet).
Sep 09, 2006, 06:25 PM
'cus I fly a long time
very very interesting.....
I have boats, cars, planes and helis. would love to try out this system in all of them
Sep 09, 2006, 07:30 PM
Rutat, what you want ALREADY exists in the Spektrum radio system. What do you want that Spektrum doesn't provide? Seriously, why would Xtremelink really care to penetrate that parkflyer market when NOONE has a 2.4GHZ system for everything else? The nitro/gasser/jet side of this hobby represent a huge, uptapped potential.
Sep 09, 2006, 08:04 PM
Dismembered Member...
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob10000
Rutat, what you want ALREADY exists in the Spektrum radio system. What do you want that Spektrum doesn't provide? Seriously, why would Xtremelink really care to penetrate that parkflyer market when NOONE has a 2.4GHZ system for everything else? The nitro/gasser/jet side of this hobby represent a huge, uptapped potential.
The parkflyer market *is* the larger market these days, and I think that trend will accelerate. E power is where it's at now, and will continue to be. A small Rx would be very welcome indeed.

Brd
Sep 09, 2006, 08:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob10000
Sorry, but the Spektrum does NOT provide what I want

It is severly limited in mixing, programming and heli functions. Just because a model is small does not mean it has to be unsophisticated.

I have several small heli's, foamies and balsa models that use up to 6 chanels and multiple mixes, rates etc AND are weight sensitive. Things the Spektrum cant even begin to do.

Larry
Sep 09, 2006, 08:08 PM
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry3215
Sorry, but the Spektrum does NOT provide what I want

It is severly limited in mixing, programming and heli functions. Just because a model is small does not mean it has to be unsophisticated.

I have several small heli's, foamies and balsa models that use up to 6 chanels and multiple mixes, rates etc AND are weight sensitive. Things the Spektrum cant even begin to do.

Larry
I agree, the DX6 is a low-end, low-resolution TX. Basically, it an old out-of-production JR662. So do this (very easy - in fact, the board was designed for it in the first place) - Spektrumizing a JR6102 with DX6 Radio, or this (a bit harder, but everything you want on six channels) -
Spektrumizing a JR XP9303.
Sep 09, 2006, 08:30 PM
Thread OP
This system is definitely not targeted at the park flyer. However, for $30 more per receiver you get 2 extra channels and a telemetry data interface, extended range, mixing, and other features. We have gotten a LOT of emails from people stating that they can't believe the system is real because it is too cheap.

Quick Reply