Thread Tools
Nov 13, 2006, 12:51 AM
Heloo again Jim Drew next they might think i can get a bigmac with it.HEHE but seriously wwhat kind of time frame are we looking at trying out this new setup.
Thanku
Scott
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Nov 13, 2006, 12:59 AM
Registered User
IBbob31's Avatar

68 Days Old!!!!


Quote
The planned release date was about two weeks ago. We are now going into production of plastic and will be getting everything together hopefully by the end of the month for assembly, testing, and shipping.



This thread is 68 days old, if the Chineese were waiting on a plactic case for this thing it would have been on the market 60 days ago!! If you keep dragging your feet on this thing the big radio MFG's are going to roll over you and eat you up by Christmas. If it works market it, ASAP. Who cares if the Szabos flew with it. Get it to us at the local fields around the country, we are your best advertiseing. And also your worst nightmare if it dose'nt work as advertised!




BOB
Nov 13, 2006, 01:07 AM
Totally concur with that Bob
Scott
Nov 13, 2006, 01:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
I stated that we got the radio module technology from MaxStream. I never said that it was something you can buy off of the shelf.
OK, are you saying that you don't buy any hardware from MaxStream?

Ken K5MBV
Nov 13, 2006, 03:07 AM
Registered User
Geoff_S's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicetie
OK, are you saying that you don't buy any hardware from MaxStream?
I believe Jim is saying that Maxstream have customised an existing module to suit his specific requirements for RC usage, eg trading off bitrate for improved latency and/or redundancy. So, while they are Maxstream hardware, they would not be available to the general public (nor competing radio manufacturer's I would expect).

The modules he is using are probably derived from the ones I looked at in this thread: DIY Spread Spectrum
Nov 13, 2006, 05:48 AM
Indy3D flyer
The only big rush to get these out is just because we want them. I doubt anyone will see anything comaprable to Jim's module based package for at least a year. Big companys like Futaba and JR give you several levels of teaser products before they have what we all ultimately want. Jr/Spektrum are on their second product with the DX-7. Futaba will likely start with a more entry level system as well. It will then be followed by something with more capabilities but still not something with mass appeal like a module package. I would imagine it to be at least 18 months before we see either JR or Futaba with a module. Hitec would possibly be first besides XPS to bring out a module based system but I'd bet that is at least 10 or 12 months off.
Just my opinion.
Still waiting on the functioning order button on XPS' site!!!
Matt
Nov 13, 2006, 10:18 AM
And You're Not
I don't see Futaba coming out with a module.

Right now, what could you use it in? The 9C or lower radios. That's it. So all Futaba has to do is make a radio equivalent to the 9C with 2.4Ghz onboard.

All the other radios that it might be used in are radios that Futaba recommends you send in to them to have the antenna changed. I doubt they'd be thrilled to have you send in your radio so they can remove the antenna. It's been mentioned here that it's not hard to get the antenna out, the hard part is putting it back. If you remove the antenna, you will be locked into the 2.4Ghz until you decide to pop the case open and attempt an antenna re-install. This alone would be enough of an incentive for Futaba to steer clear of a module, all they need is hundreds of radios returned due to botched antenna jobs.

Aside from that, these radios also have something in the case with enough shielding that the radio cannot perform a range check with the antenna collapsed. Jim has stated the reason the antenna must be removed is because of signal attenuation by the collapsed antenna, yet there appears to be something in the case that's at least as detrimental to signal attenuation as the antenna itself. So it's unknown if the XLS module would even work in these radios even with the antenna removed.
Nov 13, 2006, 10:24 AM
who dares wins
like2fly!'s Avatar
i really can't wait to try 2.4Ghz ss, looking forward to the module!

my current club field gets glitches in the far corner occasionally. The place were i used to fly alot, the scrubs (wormwood scrubs) next to the prison has a Eurostar(intercity train) garage( tons of highpower cables ,all sorts of burst testing, and god knows what else) running right along the length of one end of the flying field, i'd say on a 'popular' day on average at least one plane goes down 'due to no pilot fault' . i for obvious reasons dont fly their anymore, once i get 2.4Ghz system that'll be a place ill try for sure, like an 'ultimate' test, as glitches at the scrubs are kind of a given! im serious the place eats planes!

Alex
Last edited by like2fly!; Nov 13, 2006 at 10:31 AM.
Nov 13, 2006, 10:33 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gedaso
I believe Jim is saying that Maxstream have customised an existing module to suit his specific requirements for RC usage, eg trading off bitrate for improved latency and/or redundancy. So, while they are Maxstream hardware, they would not be available to the general public (nor competing radio manufacturer's I would expect).

The modules he is using are probably derived from the ones I looked at in this thread: DIY Spread Spectrum
Hi gedaso, Thanks, this is what I thought.
Ken K5MBV
Nov 13, 2006, 10:35 AM
You can call me FANBOY!
Quote:
Aside from that, these radios also have something in the case with enough shielding that the radio cannot perform a range check with the antenna collapsed.
To my knowledge the only radio Futaba has that they recommend having the antenna not completely collapsed is the 9Z. This one has to do with the fact that the antenna swivels and until its been pulled out one section and locked into the swivel is supposedly not grounded. I havent been able to confirm that but it really doesnt matter. I have had the Tx apart and didnt see anything other than lots of circuit boards.
Nov 13, 2006, 10:43 AM
Registered User
It is amazing for a company to claim such technological advances to be dragged down by “plastic cases”. It is certainly no small feat to manufacture 2.4G circuitry (since Jim declares that he is not using off the shelf products) but good Lord “plastic cases”. Since Jim owns a battery factory in China he must have a lot of contacts there. If not I can connect him with one that can chunk out Ks (if not Ms) for him 48 hours after order confirmation.

May be IBM could use the same excuse for delays in introduction of products for lack of supply of 74 series ICs.

Anyway I have not yet come across any XPS product that is “in stock” in the XPS web site.
Nov 13, 2006, 11:07 AM
Buyin', Tryin' and Flyin'
hilgert's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ycchu
It is amazing for a company to claim such technological advances to be dragged down by “plastic cases”. It is certainly no small feat to manufacture 2.4G circuitry (since Jim declares that he is not using off the shelf products) but good Lord “plastic cases”. Since Jim owns a battery factory in China he must have a lot of contacts there. If not I can connect him with one that can chunk out Ks (if not Ms) for him 48 hours after order confirmation.

May be IBM could use the same excuse for delays in introduction of products for lack of supply of 74 series ICs.

Anyway I have not yet come across any XPS product that is “in stock” in the XPS web site.
Agreed on all points...

I would think "we have decided to extend out testing period to ensure the release of a quality, safe product" would sound much better than "we did not plan ahead enough to get plastics cases on time". There is also a related thread started on September 21, 2006, about getting screw for the cases that can be found below:

Source for screws?

There WAS a time when they had Blenderm tape on their site - take a look at this post #212 in this thread for some other interesting items that were up at one time.
Nov 13, 2006, 11:09 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew
JR has used the same module since they first introduced the removable module. This is also the case for Futaba (both ground and air). I think Hitec is also the same. Airtronics has had numerous different case configurations over the years.
Futaba has the FP-TF-AM/FM modules which are crystal modules for the older G-series transmitters I believe. They also make the FP-TK-FM crystal modules for the 9V and 9Z series TX's too. The crystal modules to fit the 9C and 8U and others are the FP-TP-AM/FM modules. Then there are 2 synthesized versions of the modules, one for the 9Z and another for the 9C, 8U, 7U etc.

I don't know how they compare dimensionally but I believe there are some pin-out differences between the early TF modules and the more recent TP modules.

The 12Z and 14 MZ modules are physically much smaller than any of the ones mentioned above.

Buzz
Nov 13, 2006, 11:41 AM
And You're Not
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisf testpilot
To my knowledge the only radio Futaba has that they recommend having the antenna not completely collapsed is the 9Z.
And the 12Z and 14MZ:

Is the radio a 9Z, 12Z or 14MZ? If so, do you have antenna collapsed with only the base section of the antenna exposed? If not, you will not get an accurate range reading.

Quote:
This one has to do with the fact that the antenna swivels and until its been pulled out one section and locked into the swivel is supposedly not grounded. I havent been able to confirm that but it really doesnt matter. I have had the Tx apart and didnt see anything other than lots of circuit boards.
Either way it's a PITA to swap the antennas in and out of these particular TXs. We can only hope that, after removing the antenna, there is nothing left behind that would degrade the XLS signal. We don't know.
Nov 13, 2006, 11:44 AM
Team Futaba
Silent-AV8R's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfour2
The 12Z and 14 MZ modules are physically much smaller than any of the ones mentioned above.

Buzz
And Jim has stated more than once in the past week that he has tested his module in a 14MZ and that it works. I have asked him to post a photo or to at least describe it, but that has not happened. I am curious if it is his normal module with a protrusion to go into the small module plug on the back of the TX or if his module is actually the same size as the 14 stock module.
Last edited by ArestiMan; Nov 13, 2006 at 12:30 PM.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion XtremeLink™ - 2.4GHz for all radios (continued) JimDrew Radios 4867 May 10, 2007 01:22 PM
Discussion Futaba announces 2.4GHz for Parkflyers... Rudy Vienna Radios 106 Mar 26, 2007 07:09 AM
New Product Futaba announces 2.4GHz for Aircraft with superior full-range technology! Jim T. Graham Product Announcements 29 Mar 19, 2007 10:18 PM
Discussion New 2.4GHz Spektrum modules for Futaba and JR radios underh2o2long Radios 3 Mar 17, 2007 09:41 AM
Discussion XtremeLink™ - 2.4GHz for Futaba, JR, and Hitec radios JimDrew DIY Electronics 31 Sep 25, 2006 11:32 PM