Sep 04, 2006, 06:59 AM
No Guts No Glory
Thread OP
Discussion

Foamy Pusher

Here is my latest funfly foamy pusher. Typhoon 6/3d with 3s 1250mah Lipoly and a 7*6. All up weight of 390gr. That puts the airframe weight t about 200gr. 90 cm Span with a eppler 197.

The plane glides very well, handels beautifully and is pure enjoyment to fly. The low wing loading permits very low speed handling and tight turns. I just like pushers and electric flying permits to use the pusher concept much more than in big planes, since engine cooling is not such a constraint.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2006, 11:20 AM
I have two 480 brushed motors/ESC/prop and batts in pusher mode from HZ Fredom firebird. Hows about plans and build log for this plane using this motor. Also is the wing on your plane folded foam?
Sep 04, 2006, 11:40 AM
No Guts No Glory
Thread OP

With two you could build a skymaster...

or try this :

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ghlight=pusher

or

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=484841

The wing is cut with a hotwire from a block of styropor.
Oct 29, 2006, 05:56 PM
No Guts No Glory
Thread OP

MK2 is on the way

Now I am building 2 new planes of the same design .
Oct 29, 2006, 06:06 PM
JAM
JAM
MaxAmps CMO
"OOOOH MY GOD" What are you putting on the sides of that poor foam? This has to be a Holloweeny Trick cause it just ain't right........this is what wood is for.............

Trick or Treat.......

JAM
Jason
Oct 30, 2006, 01:55 AM
No Guts No Glory
Thread OP

Its called making a composite...

No trick or curse, just plain sandwiching.... In all up weight less then 1% balsa should still qualify as a foamy....What you do not see is that under the wood is a layer of depron.
Oct 30, 2006, 09:37 AM
Very cool! I've been wanting to do something like that.

A little bit of wood along with your foam is no problem. Bamboo, balsa, spruce/pine/fir, whatever works for you.

Good Luck!
Jan 04, 2007, 03:51 AM
No Guts No Glory
Thread OP

New engine

I change to a eflight park 370. The typhoon was getting a bit old. The new engine is slighly weaker, but the plane still works very well.
Jan 04, 2007, 07:57 AM
Where's the plans?
Jan 04, 2007, 07:59 AM
IWC
IWC
plans
Jan 05, 2007, 02:51 AM

Foamy Pusher

Kestrel2003

That is a lovely build - is it A/E only or do you have rudder connected ?

Also love the way you have activated the outboard ailerons - had a good look at the pictures but can't see enough detail.....would appreciate some more details.

Nigel
Jan 05, 2007, 04:41 AM
No Guts No Glory
Thread OP

Thanks for the compliments

No rudder is needed. Keep ist simple! The ailerons are not very special, bit I will post some close ups. I will be posting the plans as they get drawn up over the next few days. The plane is mostly cut from styropor. Some dimensions still have to be added to this plan. Good luck and get cutting!
Jan 05, 2007, 04:44 AM
No Guts No Glory
Thread OP

Step 1

The first working step is to produce the 3 wing profile templates you need to cut the wing. You will need 2 templates for the middle section, 19cm, and one outer wing template 12 cm.

I usually make the templates out of 2 pieces, so that the can both stand on the floor while cutting.

Print the document and make sure that the big template is 19cm long. Cut out and stick on 2mm plywood. Then cut out template.

The outer template must be higher then the inner one, 1.4 cm. The top of the wing must be flush over the whole length.
Last edited by kestrel2003; Jan 05, 2007 at 08:36 AM.
Jan 05, 2007, 10:36 AM

Foamy Slowflyer

Ahhhhh - now I see, servo's buried in the wing! - thanks. (thought you might have buried torque rods)

Don't have a hot wire cutter so will probably make a thin semetrical / semi symetrical wing profile out of depron.

I look forward to the full plans, thanks,

Nigel
Oct 23, 2013, 04:17 AM
No Guts No Glory
Thread OP

2013 Rebuild

So after a few years and a nasty accident with the prop in this layout a few years ago upon launching , I decided to rebuild the original design. Now I launch by flinging the craft by the wing.

A well balanced design, enjoyable to fly and easy to build. All in all my favorite own design.

Despite the bad press the Eppler 197 airfoil gets, on this design it works very well. Any comment about the design or airfoil selection would be appreciated.

Quick Reply