Sep 01, 2006, 08:07 PM
My hangar is,... "almost" full
Thread OP
Build Log

Tg-2

September 1st is the beginning of building season for me. Right on schedule, I started the wing today. The kit is from TMRC http://www.tmrcsailplanes.com/schweizer-tg-2-model.html It has a 131"ws, and all built-up wood construction,... yeah baby!
I decided to model a civilian version which is technically called a SGS-2. I found a picture of one that was kept at an airport in Washington State long ago. It started out in life as a TG-2 (military version). It was sold as surplus and recovered. I talked to the son of the owner, and found out it was painted Canary Yellow with dark blue registration numbers. No other markings. So, I guess it's really a SGS-2, but I've refered to it as a TG-2 so much that's what I'm calling it.
The wing construction is going fine except the 3 ply root ribs have the incorrect size holes lasered for the supplied wing joiner rod reciever and incidence pin reciever. It looks like Tom increased the wing joiner to 3/8" as opposed to 1/4" shown on the plan, and the incidence pin from 1/4" to 1/8". Other than that, it's falling together. The parts fit is excellent.
Dgliderguy has a build thread of the TG-3 (also by TMRC) on this forum. The TG-2 is a little different utilizing a midwing and round tail surfaces. I hope mine flies as well as his.

Fred Guilfoyle
https://home.comcast.net/~guilfoyle72/
Last edited by No Step; Sep 01, 2006 at 08:19 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 05, 2006, 10:25 AM
Looks good Fred! Missed you at Soar Utah!
Sep 09, 2006, 11:44 AM
Where's the lift?
Fred,

I'll be following this thread, for sure! My TG-2 (same plan as yours, from Steve Moskal) is getting a little tawdry lately, may have to re-cover it with Sig Koverall and dope for next year. Yours will be looking pristine and right spiffy, if I know you, so I gotta put a new set of clothes on mine if we're going to fly them together!

What a GREAT idea on the 90-degree angle extrusion, for setting washout! Just when you think you've already learned all the cool little tricks...

Don.
Sep 09, 2006, 11:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgliderguy
Fred,

I'll be following this thread, for sure! My TG-2 (same plan as yours, from Steve Moskal) is getting a little tawdry lately, may have to re-cover it with Sig Koverall and dope for next year.

Don.

Oh Don, I kinda like the ornathopter feature that your TG-2 had at Soar Utah

Brian
Sep 09, 2006, 12:11 PM
Where's the lift?
Hyuck, hyuck!

Brian is referring to my TG-3 (not the TG-2), which had an exciting flutter episode at the aerotow event in Soar Utah. I lost sight of it in the blindingly hot sun, and when it reappeared it was WAY past redline, pointed straight down in full flutter mode. The right aileron servo was completely blown, so the starboard aileron was free-flapping, setting up a first-order flutter all the way down final, spoilers full open, for a smooth landing on the runway. Looked just like a bird flapping its wings!

I replaced the wing servos with metal gears, and I don't plan on overspeeding like that again (needless to say!). Glad I got my nice bird back down okay-- it was pretty exciting for a moment there!

d.

P.S. Brian-- good on ya with the L213A maiden, you've got a real jewel there.
Sep 09, 2006, 02:20 PM
Thread OP
Don, glad you made a safe landing OK,... what a pilot! I put you in the same skills catagory as this guy http://media.putfile.com/Wing-Failure
Fred, I just couldn't do S.U. this year maybe, next time. Those long model trips are getting a little hard to do. My second wing is almost done. It'll be finished today. The stab is all framed up as well. Pictures in a day or two. It's rainy day today, good day for building,... Nascar race tonight, fireplace is going, life just doesn't get any better.
I would have been alot farther along on the TG-2 but for some unknown reason, I decided I just had to paint the garage, and part of the house during a few very nice fall days recently.

Fred
Sep 11, 2006, 08:26 PM
Thread OP
The wings are done for the most part. I still need to sand them, face the ailerons, add the wing tips, and spoilers. I'll get to it later, I want to start the fuselage.
Sep 12, 2006, 10:08 AM
Where's the lift?
Beautiful workmanship, Fred (as always!).

Be sure you mount those ball links with the centerline axis normal to the strut centerline, so it doesn't separate during wing flexing. My wing flexes quite a bit in a pull-out, due to the (flimsy) quarter-inch diameter wing rods. The struts don't need to be structural, but you don't want to lose them. Mine are joined at the bottom with a long spring through the fuselage.
Sep 12, 2006, 04:14 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for the tip Don. It seemed like it'd be easier to connect if the ball link was protruding from the wing skin rather than recessed. I think it'll still look good. Tom has increased the fwd wing rod to 3/8" dia. It's made of aluminum,... I think I'd rather have steel, but I'll use the kit supplied rod until something bends . The incidence pin is 1/8" dia steel. The lasered holes in the kit are still both 1/4" dia. Note to any future builders: make sure you adjust these rib and fuselage holes before assembly - much easier.

Stabilizer and rudder are both framed up.
Sep 12, 2006, 05:17 PM
TEAM GORGEOUS
On my TG-2 I made the struts from steel rod and embedded blind nuts in plywood tied to the spar and also tied them together in the bottom of the fuse so they are structural......I have NO wing flex at all.
Sep 13, 2006, 08:27 PM
Scale Glider Guider
I made mine structural as well. Just used cheap fiberglass rods for the wing as almost all of the strength is in the struts.

My struts have a 4-40 rod center with Du-bro strut fittings. Very strong.
Sep 14, 2006, 12:17 PM
Thread OP
Thanks for all the suggestions on strut attachments, much appreciated.

This fuselage was a real challenge. I can't remember when I had to study a drawing as much as I've had to do with this fuselage, lots of lines that I couldn't interpret. A top view of the fuselage and/or detailed pics or additional sketches would have helped greatly. That, and the fact I had a hard time following the magazine construction article included in the kit. That's a reflection of my poor reading comprehension I'm sure. Thank goodness for dgliderguys pics of his fuselage construction of his TG-3, very similar. Pics below with comments:
Sep 14, 2006, 12:28 PM
Scale Glider Guider
Looks like you've got the parts in the right places.
Sep 14, 2006, 12:30 PM
Where's the lift?
Boy, that IS a lot like my TG-3. Apparently, Steve Moskal (TG-2) and Jack Hiner (TG-3) collaborated on their designs, so the similarities are no coincidence.

You did a WHOLE lot of building for one day's work, Fred. Looking really good so far!

Quick Reply