Aug 29, 2006, 04:54 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

PTS owners, got a q 4 u

PTS owners, got a q 4 u,

How did the plane fly AFTER you took off the droops, i am gonna try it this weekend, but i wanted to get an idea of the new characteristics...

Landing speed?
Roll rate?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 29, 2006, 06:25 AM
crashinator
the pts gets a little "hotter" when removing the droops, the roll rate slightly improved but she can snap roll a little sooner than with them. just remember to come in a little faster and it will be fine, youll enjoy the plane more once it gets "cleaned up"!
Aug 29, 2006, 08:27 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashinator
"cleaned up"!
looks?
Aug 29, 2006, 08:39 AM
S.A.D. member
I recently put together a P-51 PTS ARF for a friend using his radio and engine from the RTF he crashed. I used a 2-blade prop (MA 11x6 G/F-3), installed a flap servo and initially did not put the wing droops.

Accelerates better for takeoff ROG, climbs with authority. Much better roll, inverted flight is a no brainer. Will do almost everything in standard pattern (no 3D stuff). Has very good wind penetration. Will tip stall when slowed down and the flaps are retracted. Will benefit from using flaps to slow her down on landing, but still needs to be flown all the way to the field and then drop the power to idle for final touch down. You need to stay on the sticks all the time - she tends to continue to roll in the direction of the bank.

Good 3-rd plane (introduction to warbirds and a flap trainer) in this configuration.

Ivan
Aug 29, 2006, 01:31 PM
crashinator
cleaned-up as in no "stuff" causing parasitic drag, flaps up, no air brakes etc.
Aug 29, 2006, 03:13 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc
I recently put together a P-51 PTS ARF for a friend using his radio and engine from the RTF he crashed. I used a 2-blade prop (MA 11x6 G/F-3), installed a flap servo and initially did not put the wing droops.

Accelerates better for takeoff ROG, climbs with authority. Much better roll, inverted flight is a no brainer. Will do almost everything in standard pattern (no 3D stuff). Has very good wind penetration. Will tip stall when slowed down and the flaps are retracted. Will benefit from using flaps to slow her down on landing, but still needs to be flown all the way to the field and then drop the power to idle for final touch down. You need to stay on the sticks all the time - she tends to continue to roll in the direction of the bank.

Good 3-rd plane (introduction to warbirds and a flap trainer) in this configuration.

Ivan
cool thx, i am using the same prop on mine, (same brand and all) is there any other or better prop i should look at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashinator
cleaned-up as in no "stuff" causing parasitic drag, flaps up, no air brakes etc.
ahhh gotcha

Can't wait to see some nice inverted passes w/o the droops
Aug 29, 2006, 04:21 PM
Just Plane Going To Heli
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanc

Ivan
That is my experience exactly. Oh, and if you have a grass field, so much the better. I believe the forward-raked gear causes a higher-than-normal tendency to ground-loop on pavement, and the higher landing speeds without droops only make this worse.
Aug 30, 2006, 07:47 AM
crashinator
i also had good results with the MA 11/6 G/3 on the stock evo. I also tried an 11/7 apc sport, i think the extra effeciency or the apc allowed for the extra pitch. I believe top end increased. give an apc a "whirl" ha ha

Quick Reply