Sep 03, 2012, 05:31 PM
That bust is I believe very close to 1/4 scale it's probably about 1/4.5 scale and per the images I looked at what is shown is pretty close to the full size aircraft. But I did some more searching and it appears in the Model 12s (single seat) the pilot sits lower or the lower canopy line is higher, that or the guy who owns the real Python is a short ass, lol. At the end of the day I wasn't looking for perfect, just something to add a bit of character. To be perfectly scale the the canopy either needs to go forward further to enable a two seat setup or be shortened so as to match the single seat setup. I set up the canopy to simply a position with which I was happy with the line the canopy drew for the aircraft outline, end result is a nice line per my eye but a elongated single seat setup, hence if it was real my pilot would need rather long arms, lol.

These are the pics of the two seaters I was looking at.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2012, 06:39 AM
Well finally started covering fuselage. Rear lower surface and sides completed.
Sep 04, 2012, 12:35 PM
Thread OP
My Bad The Canopy I sent you would be long enough for a two seater. It needs to be cut to fit.
and I probably did not say anything.

If you look at the photo off the Beast you will also note how low the pilot sits.

Dennis
Sep 04, 2012, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C
My Bad The Canopy I sent you would be long enough for a two seater. It needs to be cut to fit.
and I probably did not say anything.

If you look at the photo off the Beast you will also note how low the pilot sits.

Dennis
It's all good i wasn't referring to the canopy you supplied. It was perfect for the job and as you say can be used for either a two seat or single seat setup. Just needs to be trimmed as required. Was referring to the length I ended up trimming it too, I just went with what looked good from an outline perspective which has ended up as a 1.5 seat length.

I might have to ask Kevin Kimball over in Krazy Karl thread on the FG forum about the pilot seat height in the single vs. two seat.
Sep 05, 2012, 12:33 PM
Thread OP
I would be interested in knowing, let me know.

Dennis
Sep 05, 2012, 06:15 PM
more power=almost enough
Well regardless of what/where the pilot sits, I like your plane and cockpit. I can't wait to see the finished results.
The weather here is finally starting to cool off some in the mornings so I am excited to get out and fly again. I am planning on going out this Saturday morning. Getting batteries charged up as I type this..... Whoohoo!!
The only consolation to not being able to fly is that it has made more time for fishing, and fishing has been awesome. Just went to Silver Creek again yesterday Dennis. This is no fish story I caught well over 25 fish yesterday.

Kerry
Sep 05, 2012, 07:49 PM
Custom airplanes and boats
The seat design is the same in all the model 12 fuselages. The carbon seats we make are the same or the single seater and the 2 seater. The canopies are exactly the same shape at the front of the turtle deck. The edge of the canopy along the sides of the cockpit are exactly the same height. Turtle deck is exactly the same on both versions. The differences I see in the photos you show are pilot size and with or without helmet. Bryan was over 6ft tall and a big guy. Some of the others are smaller. Some like to sit low and some high and can use 2" or 3" seat cushion as they see fit.

Kevin Kimball
Sep 05, 2012, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjkimball
The seat design is the same in all the model 12 fuselages. The carbon seats we make are the same or the single seater and the 2 seater. The canopies are exactly the same shape at the front of the turtle deck. The edge of the canopy along the sides of the cockpit are exactly the same height. Turtle deck is exactly the same on both versions. The differences I see in the photos you show are pilot size and with or without helmet. Bryan was over 6ft tall and a big guy. Some of the others are smaller. Some like to sit low and some high and can use 2" or 3" seat cushion as they see fit.

Kevin Kimball
Thanks Kevin! Didn't even realise you were a member over here as well.
Sep 05, 2012, 08:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetTech
Well regardless of what/where the pilot sits, I like your plane and cockpit. I can't wait to see the finished results.
The weather here is finally starting to cool off some in the mornings so I am excited to get out and fly again. I am planning on going out this Saturday morning. Getting batteries charged up as I type this..... Whoohoo!!
The only consolation to not being able to fly is that it has made more time for fishing, and fishing has been awesome. Just went to Silver Creek again yesterday Dennis. This is no fish story I caught well over 25 fish yesterday.

Kerry
Was just going back through the thread and realised your pilot is the same as the one I was going to fit but my wife didn't like it, lol! So I got my current figure which is supposedly the same scale but in reality he is a bit smaller, my wife still doesn't like my current one she just doesn't dislike it as much, so that meant he's fine in my books.
Sep 06, 2012, 01:44 PM
Thread OP
thanks for stopping in Kevan

Luke you are one wise person, It is the wives job to make the rulls, it is the mans job to know the rules and the wife may change the rules with out prior notice.

Dennis
Sep 07, 2012, 08:03 AM
Quote:
thanks for stopping in Kevan

Luke you are one wise person, It is the wives job to make the rulls, it is the mans job to know the rules and the wife may change the rules with out prior notice.

Dennis
HAHA.

Well current covering progress below.

So far the fuselage is coming in at 2.75 lbs as it sits there. All 4 wings come in at 2.2lbs without servos. I'm pretty happy with that.
Sep 08, 2012, 07:05 AM
Today's effort, I fitted the fin and fin supports and worked on the covering. You can see how the stripe meets up with the fin leading edge, the idea was to give the impression it continues up the fin. I'm thinking of doing a stripe down each side aswell that meets up the Leading edge of each stab side. But a bit worried it might be a bit too much.
Sep 08, 2012, 10:25 AM
Thread OP
I used Krylon spray paint to paint the cabaines to match the covering, they have very close to the red.

That is going to be a good looking plane

Dennis
Sep 12, 2012, 11:42 PM
Quote:
I used Krylon spray paint to paint the cabaines to match the covering, they have very close to the red.

That is going to be a good looking plane

Dennis
I don't believe Krylon is available in available in Australia, but i'm sure i'll figure something out. I had considered using heat shrink on the cabane struts if I could find a reasonable match.

My next question would be you mentioned not requiring any support struts for the stab, I'm a little concerned as the balsa that came from the laser cutter was a bit on the soft side for the stab. So i'm considering making up a support strut for each side of the support strut using some carbon rod.
Sep 13, 2012, 07:22 AM
Elevators and associated control linkages fitted. The elevator horns are almost exactly the same length from hinge centreline as the servo arms ensuring good resolution whilst maintaining plenty of throw.

Quick Reply