Aug 12, 2002, 11:42 AM
Thread OP

Eco 8. Up and Down. Up and Down.

I've been able to succesfully log around 10 hovers on my Eco 8. I've noticed that holding the same altitude is a chore. Saturday I started hovering in Idle Up 1. With a flat throttle curve of 85. I'm just wondering what I should do to help stay at one altitude. I know wind will cause this. I'm not sure of my pitch curve at the moment. But I'm hovering around 6 deg's with -2 to 10. Would Exponential help? Or should I just try to deaden the pitch change around hover(hope that makes since)? Or do I just need a lot more practice?Thanks.

10 CP2400's
MMR
Stock Blakes
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2002, 12:11 PM
Hi Foxtrot,
I noticed that on my Eco too. I have noticed that one "click" on the throttle means the difference between a 5 or 6 ft hover and 20+ ft hover. My throttle curve is only 3 points and set at 0 85 100. It has not caused me that much bother, I just learned to deal with it. I will revisit it again when I get a better radio. I have to see if I can use the governor mode on my speed controller and see if I can fly only pitch. I think that would take care of my problem. With a MMR I don't think you will have that option. Wind does have a big effect on the light Eco. A strong gust can make it rise quite fast. A constant blowing wind is not a big problem. I fly in the wind most of the time without any trouble.

Mike
Aug 12, 2002, 01:12 PM
Powered by ThunderPower

Hello guys,

Quote:
I noticed that on my Eco too. I have noticed that one "click" on the throttle means the difference between a 5 or 6 ft hover and 20+ ft hover.
I know exactly what you mean. This is where a smoother ratchet will help. Those "clicks" are limiting your throttle/pitch management which makes it more difficult to maintain a steady altitude. Try and get a smoother ratchet (or detent? Can it be called both ways?) and you'll notice the improvement. You will be able to use the "space" in between the clicks.... very valuable.
Quote:
Or should I just try to deaden the pitch change around hover(hope that makes since)? Or do I just need a lot more practice?Thanks.
I like keeping my pitch curve linear, you will get used to it at that pitch range. The problem is that the wider your pitch range is, say -10 to +10 degrees, the more sensitive your helicopter will be to collective input. I have only gotten to pitch ranges of about -6 to +10 degrees, which I learned to deal/fly with. So I think that you can get used to it.

My Eclipse7 offers exponential only to channels 1, 2 and 4 so I don't think that's an option, unless I'm missing something or you have a better Tx.

The pitch curve can help you deaden your pitch change at the center. But you will need to be very cautious as this will increase your pitch sensitivity at the extremes. Please, let us know how you do.

Anybody else have any comments?

Chachin..
Aug 12, 2002, 02:28 PM
Thread OP
Not sure about Expo on CH 6. I'm using an RD6000 Super. And for some reason I think it does. I'll have to check it when I get home. It's got Expo on the tail so who knows.
Aug 12, 2002, 02:48 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
You should remove the detents for heli flying. I really like them for planes, but they are a pain for helis!!!!

You should ahve have a hover pitch adjustment on one of the dials, I do on my 8U.

The ECO is light to, so small inputs do more.
Aug 12, 2002, 03:32 PM
Thread OP
Nope no Expo on pitch. Don't know why I was thinking that. That would be nice though. I'm going to smooth out the pitch curve. I had some large gaps. Like going from -10,20,50,75,100. The jump from 20 - 50 might have a little to do with it. So I smoothed it out too. Let's see what it does.
Aug 12, 2002, 05:16 PM
Chachin,
I had taken out about 90% of the detent feel on the stick but wanted to have some feedback as I learned. I was concerned that I might be moving the throttle too much and I was. What is left allowed me to detect that small change and its very large effect. I might not have noticed it otherwise. It is soft enough that I can use the space between the clicks and it doesn't bother me now. I do want to figure out how to set up the Schulze 45Ho to run in governor mode with a JR XP-652. I don't have a pot or slider to assign it to, any ideas?

Mike
Aug 13, 2002, 12:15 PM
Thread OP
Well after 2 flights yesterday I seem to have it hovering at a steady altitude. I widened the pitch range from P1-3. Now I've just got to get that darn GY240 working right. Off to the search function........

Quick Reply