F-27C Stryker - Beyond the Parkflyer - Page 501 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Feb 02, 2010, 03:45 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
moparmyway's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse
moparmyway, my Striker with all FPV gear is 33.6oz (954g) Would you consider this being heavy for a Stryker?

Cheers !
Not really, but I would still toss it like it was from short stop to first as you will probably have a "nose heavy" setup and alot more drag than a normal 34 oz Stryker would. To compensate for all of the cameras drag, what prop are you planning on running ?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2010, 04:56 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
saucisse's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway
Not really, but I would still toss it like it was from short stop to first as you will probably have a "nose heavy" setup and alot more drag than a normal 34 oz Stryker would. To compensate for all of the cameras drag, what prop are you planning on running ?
Here's the setup I have right now, I only did stactic tests with the stock 6x4 prop.

Turnigy 2836-2350kv outrunner
Turnigy Plush 40Amps
Lipo: 3s1 20c 2200mah Zippy
Prop: 6x4
Amps: 34.05
Watts: 357.8

My goal is not to get the fastest setup but to be up in the air as long as possible without being ''boring''

What do you suggest as for which prop to use?

Cheers!
Feb 02, 2010, 05:35 PM
Registered User
Philld's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc
I got my Scorpion HK3026-1400kv motor mounted up this weekend to see how a big outrunner does on a Stryker.

I've been having an issue with the ESC timing using my Supersimple 100A on 7S, leading to a stuttering motor at high throttle settings. The motor has 10 poles, so it's a task for any ESC to pull all those magnets by that at high RPM.
So I got around that timing problem by just backing the throttle down in my travel adjust in the transmitter. So no stuttering in the motor for the flights. It was probably running about like it would on 6 cells.

I took it easy on the motor until I can get it running on the right type of ESC, but HOWWIE!!! It was still rippin'! I can only figure it'll be absolutely awesome when I'm able to run wide open on 7S or 8S!

I have a Castle Ice 100 on the way, as I figure it'll have the best chance of any for timing the motor correctly.

The other major To Do list project is to mount the motor so the shaft is coming out the end of the motor with the fan in it, so the part of the motor that's currently facing aft will be facing forward, allowing air to enter those holes and exit the fan end.

I want to say this is an awesome setup and I'd recommend it to anyone looking for big power, but it's a little premature at this point. I still have to fly it some more to make sure it doesn't burn up or throw magnets by the bell flexing with the prop spinning on it.

I'll keep us posted on the setup.
Stryker 2010 (1 min 55 sec)
Feb 02, 2010, 06:37 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
moparmyway's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philld


HOLY DOG SHAT !!!!!!!!!!!
Murd...........................youre getting closer !!!!
VERY VERY NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Feb 02, 2010, 06:41 PM
Why the dirt on the wings?
moparmyway's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucisse
Here's the setup I have right now, I only did stactic tests with the stock 6x4 prop.

Turnigy 2836-2350kv outrunner
Turnigy Plush 40Amps
Lipo: 3s1 20c 2200mah Zippy
Prop: 6x4
Amps: 34.05
Watts: 357.8

My goal is not to get the fastest setup but to be up in the air as long as possible without being ''boring''

What do you suggest as for which prop to use?

Cheers!
If you want a little more thrust with a little less speed, and a little more unloading in the air, try a 6.5x3.7 by APC. You will like the awsome thrust @ launch, and flying time will probably increase just a little.

NOTHING boring when flying FPV !!!!!!!!!!
Feb 02, 2010, 07:57 PM
Registered User
How many layers of fiberglass should you have on your motor mount area? I just put one layer on extending as far forward as the back of the hand-launching slots (wrapped around the back and goes that far forward on the top as well, will trim it later). Will the 1 layer be fine?
Feb 02, 2010, 08:03 PM
Don't disturb the pilot !!!
saucisse's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway
If you want a little more thrust with a little less speed, and a little more unloading in the air, try a 6.5x3.7 by APC. You will like the awsome thrust @ launch, and flying time will probably increase just a little.

NOTHING boring when flying FPV !!!!!!!!!!
Where do you get these 6.5x3.7 ? All the shops I'm use to order at don't have them

Cheers!
Feb 02, 2010, 08:39 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
murdnunoc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparmyway
HOLY DOG SHAT !!!!!!!!!!!
Murd...........................youre getting closer !!!!
VERY VERY NICE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hee! Thanks, Mopar. I was trying to keep the motor reigned in till I get my better ESC and data logging, but it just reached out there and beat my personal best without my permission!

I figured a 4mph tailwind on that pass based on consecutive passes in opposite directions to determine wind. So that would get 164 as the speed.
Feb 02, 2010, 08:41 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdnunoc
Hee! Thanks, Mopar. I was trying to keep the motor reigned in till I get my better ESC and data logging, but it just reached out there and beat my personal best without my permission!

I figured a 4mph tailwind on that pass based on consecutive passes in opposite directions to determine wind. So that would get 164 as the speed.
How is your stryker built up? Full Glass?
Feb 02, 2010, 08:57 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
murdnunoc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123
How is your stryker built up? Full Glass?
Yep, but it uses the method you've read about in the Ritewing thread with Henry's roofing fiberglass cloth bonded with 3m-90 adhesive. My last three planes have been glassed this way, and it is stinkin' tough. I don't think it is quite as rigid as equally weighted traditional fiberglass and epoxy, but I believe it is more impact resistant.

I also have four .30" carbon arrow shafts running as a tip-to-tip spar, a nose-to-tail fuselage support, and two in the stock rod locations near the leading edge.

This combination is keeping the plane straight at high speeds, even after two moderate crashes and countless high speed plops for landings.
Feb 02, 2010, 09:13 PM
The Kid
Thekid3418's Avatar
Murdnunoc, AWESOME SPEED! Congrats man, you are very very close to Mopar now

This outrunner thing is very intriguing, and appears to be working at least in the short term. It makes me interested in a couple tests that could be entertaining

1) Flipping the outrunner around. You already mentioned flipping the shaft. It would be cool to see you flip the motor behind the trailing edge to get the prop further away from the wing. Might get you a little higher prop efficiency, at least theoretically. Not sure if it would give you balance problems though?

2) Comparing efficiency (RPM). Not sure if either of you want to release your figures, but it would be very interesting to compare with Mopar prop for prop on power and RPM to determine whether the outrunner or inrunner is more efficient. It wouldn't be too difficult, run the outrunner up to max, see what kind of rpm you can spin the prop you have on it (assuming 6.5-7"?). Then see if Mopar has any close data figures with any of his inrunners...

Seems like a good learning experience. I can't wait to see how much you can wring this bad-boy out. It should be a party!

I might bring this to peoples attention. Some new Hyperion Outrunners released. Most notably is a 3032-4 (1545kv, .0065 resistance ). It should take HUGE power, and might just fit in the new customrc 28mm mount. If not im sure Murdnunoc can make it work
Feb 02, 2010, 09:35 PM
Victim of C.D.O.
murdnunoc's Avatar
TheKid,
I played with the idea of the motor hanging off the back end and snapped a pic just in case someone brought it up. It hangs it REALLY far back there. Almost behind the fins!

I stuck the batteries in and it balances out fine with the motor way back there. That's the benefit of huge batteries. You can't have too big a motor!

The thing that concerns me about it is the leverage the prop and motor have to tweak the motor mount around. With the motor mounted more traditionally over the mount, the forces are more balanced out. If I get bored with the hacksaw, I may get a hybrid type mount going on that would move the motor back but still balance out the forces well.

I don't have all the tools necessary yet to make my power and prop figures too useful. I'm still kind of shooting from the hip .
I will be getting a data logger very soon. Tax refund! So that should get my data to the point where it could be shared to make meaningful comparisons.
Though, it's really going to come down to which outrunner and which inrunner. If we could find each type with the same KV and resistance, that would be a good test to see which one is better at whipping the prop around.

That Hyperion 3032 sounds nice! And huge! I was looking at the ZS3025-6, with resistance of .008. That's better than my Scorpion, but the Scorpion came up as a good deal, so I snagged it.
The 3032-4 should smash both of them, though. Maybe as my next outrunner project! Where are they available? I didn't see them on All-E-RC.
Feb 03, 2010, 12:56 AM
Registered User
ender707's Avatar
Great video Murdnunoc.

In less Exciting Outrunner news; The Turnigy 2836 series Outrunners will fit Gary's Mount with no modification!

After looking at it a little harder, I saw that I could cut my 3.5mm Bullets off the Motor wires and pass them through. Now I just have to solder new ones on and its ready to go.

The ARC 28-47-2170kv has kept its shaft intact after a few flights now, and I really like it on 4s with the Graupner Speed 6.5x6.5.
Feb 03, 2010, 04:27 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by feefo
Yoshgixer... I was looking at the Scorpion 2221-10 and 2221-12 too, but I bought the Turnigy 2836 2350kv and the 3200KV (cost thing). But I'd still be interested in these motors for future projects. Will you let us know how it performs and what you think once you've had a few flights. Cheers
FYI

Running in my Skyfun Funjet 2221-08 scorpion with 6x4 prop full throttle 73 amps with fresh battery 203 km per hour, 2550ma 40c rhino 3s lipo

Samste
Feb 03, 2010, 05:58 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ender707
Great video Murdnunoc.

In less Exciting Outrunner news; The Turnigy 2836 series Outrunners will fit Gary's Mount with no modification!

After looking at it a little harder, I saw that I could cut my 3.5mm Bullets off the Motor wires and pass them through. Now I just have to solder new ones on and its ready to go.

The ARC 28-47-2170kv has kept its shaft intact after a few flights now, and I really like it on 4s with the Graupner Speed 6.5x6.5.
Good to know ender707.

Will I need a prop adapter for the Turnigy 2836 shaft to a APC 6x4 E or will it fit straight on?


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Parkzone F-27C Stryker That can fly?!? Parkflyers 109 Sep 26, 2012 10:54 PM
Discussion Parkzone's New F-27C Stryker itspat Parkflyers 1 Nov 08, 2011 07:56 PM
Mini-Review F-27C Stryker Review That can fly?!? Parkflyers 27 Jul 29, 2010 08:25 PM
Discussion Parkzone F-27C Stryker 3S 11.1 V Balance Plug WDP Batteries and Chargers 12 Oct 26, 2009 08:44 AM
Discussion Coming soon! F-27C Stryker RTF with lipo and brushless Solcat Electric Plane Talk 0 May 31, 2006 12:34 PM