Jul 14, 2008, 09:31 AM
Permanently Signed Off.
ParkZone is sending me a new Rx. They acted annoyed with me, what the heck.

Somone wants it, come on:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=892997

You are getting the whole kit without the charger and Lipo. Spare parts included! 2 Rxs! Extra Servo! 3 days old!

Moth + Elf + Swamp Craft + Vietnam Era jet nose = STRYKER!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 14, 2008, 09:39 PM
A FB gave me this Stryker several months ago and I've been looking at it wondering what to do with it. After much contemplation, I decided to shorten the wingspan to accomodate a Wicked Jr. motor I had. I cut out the fuselage and a couple of inches off the wingtips to make it 30". I maidened it tonight and was very impressed. It's been several months since I've flown a wing and I had forgotten how the adreneline starts pumping at wot
Anyway, I am going to re-position the servos so that the pushrods are parallel to the airflow for less wind resistance and I think I am going to glass it. My question is this, how much weight will glassing add? I don't want to add much weight, so I may just cover it with Econocote instead. Any suggestions?
Jul 14, 2008, 10:17 PM
Permanently Signed Off.
FB? Gave you the stryker? Thats saying something there! GAVE it to you (screw this thing take it!)

Just kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatulator
A FB gave me this Stryker several months ago and I've been looking at it wondering what to do with it. After much contemplation, I decided to shorten the wingspan to accomodate a Wicked Jr. motor I had. I cut out the fuselage and a couple of inches off the wingtips to make it 30". I maidened it tonight and was very impressed. It's been several months since I've flown a wing and I had forgotten how the adreneline starts pumping at wot
Anyway, I am going to re-position the servos so that the pushrods are parallel to the airflow for less wind resistance and I think I am going to glass it. My question is this, how much weight will glassing add? I don't want to add much weight, so I may just cover it with Econocote instead. Any suggestions?
Jul 14, 2008, 11:16 PM
Overlander
omg that is beautiful

its like a wild wing/stryker/ritewing/devil's toy

well glassing should add around 1-6oz depending on how much resin you add

but there's the benefit, you get a much stiffer fuselage

glassing + carbon spars + thin carbon/aluminum winglets = a very fast stryker airframe
Jul 14, 2008, 11:26 PM
zoom zoom
I did something very similar.

just my 2c but
Its a waste of time doing winglets if you dont have them setup above and below the airfoil.

Jul 14, 2008, 11:45 PM
Overlander
you could probably buy carbon or aluminum winglets online

those extend to the bottom too

i never liked the ones that were for the top only
Jul 14, 2008, 11:55 PM
Flatulator,

Another option is C.F. tubes (hollow), and/or C.F. strips (solid rectangular cross section).

I do not know how to go fiber glass work and dozens of us have built 1200+W 120-130MPH (level flight with no wind) full profile Strykers with just C.F. work and 3m Extreme tape.

If not adding a lot of C.F. for extreme speed, it should weigh less and be easier than glass work (I guess).

See what others think, you should get the best advice from a guy who knows how to do it both ways, C.F. or glass work.

Pic shows how close I could get to center of fuse due to compound angle on Leading edge. Each wing half has a single piece of film covering the top and bottom.

Since that was my first attempt and I did not prep anything or spray any glue, etc....whatever...I just Ironed on ULTRA COAT, I did have some issues of having to re-heat it from now and then.

Good luck,

Gryphon
Last edited by GryphonRCU; Jul 15, 2008 at 12:06 AM.
Jul 15, 2008, 01:27 AM
this is my 610gr F27B striker (parkzone) with 55mm EDF and LSJS and FlycamOne 2 onbard camera fixed onto EDF

Caméra embarqué Jet Striker F27B Parzone (4 min 2 sec)

My lipo (polyquest 2200mah 25c) was only half empty

loud vibration sound is all because a rubber band that I use to fix camera onto EDF...
Jul 15, 2008, 04:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6
I did something very similar.

just my 2c but
Its a waste of time doing winglets if you dont have them setup above and below the airfoil.
I've got the winglets extended about an inch below the bottom of this wing and it is very stable. I think I will just add one more cf spar and cover the battery and esc and then just use lightweight spackling to smooth everything out. A little sanding and some covering and she should be good to go.
Jul 15, 2008, 10:36 AM
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"

My New Stryker Fuse...

I know, I know, it does look a LOT like another Stryker here.
Just remember, "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

After beating my first fuse to death I was looking for a more visible color scheme to help these old eyes keep orientation on my second one. These colors are awesome! Thank you.

FWIW, I sprayed the unpainted white foam with Minwax Water-Based Polycrylic finish. I think it keeps the plane cleaner as we still play rough in the dirt from time to time.
Jul 15, 2008, 02:18 PM
Just an update

I finally got to maiden the 2K Fun Stryker today...unfortunetly nobody to get it on vid...Every thing worked great...atleast until it left my hand...CG was set to far back so it kinda did a wheelie across the yard totally out of control until I did a panic landing after about 5 seconds...but it landed flat and in one piece...The small winglets didnt seem to do much of anything without speed so I replaced them with larger ones...I moved the CG forward 1" and tried again...Now the CG was to far forward but it was flying...had the hold the stick back almost 3/4 to keep it level so I think the sweet spot is 1-1/2" back from funjet CG points instead of 2"...I was useing the 25% 75% method of finding center of gravity which was close but yet then I did it by eye instead of 1" grid patern...incase your confused the 25% 75% refeers to the wing area...if you was to have a grid of 1" squares and lay it over wings then change the square inches into percent % the front of wing would have 25% and the back 75% and the CG would be at that mark between the two...I better end it here cuz this could get real deep

Its to windy to fly rite now but maybe later it will calm down for another test flight...
Jul 15, 2008, 05:37 PM
What smoke?
Hi, I just Re-maiden my Stryker with a E-Flite Six-Series Brushless 2700Kv Motor. I gave it a quick test then into the air it went. I did a few passes at no more then 1/2 and then I let it rip.

WOW it took off like nothing else, I almost hit a tree way on the other side of the field as this thing must of been going somewhere near 100mph when I was pulling up to get some air. I brought it around for a high speed pass & yah I think somewhere near 90 or 100 it was doing. I slowed down, loops rolls and so on then full power and it climbed way passed 400 feet and still was going strong.

After about 8 mins of flying time I came in motor and battery warm but not hot, think I need to change the prop back to a 6-4 (running a 6-5.5) Did an amp and watt test - pulling 47amps and 412 watts. Good thing I change the ESC to a bigger CC Thunderbird.

I guy at the field has a funjet and with the stock motor he was faster but today I passed him much like he would pass me. Love all the new power it has.

Lostlad
Jul 15, 2008, 05:44 PM
zoom zoom
Looks like fun..

That motor is good for 85mph in a stryker, it takes 550-600 watts to do 100mph. if you use a larger lipo yo uwill get the volts needed to do 90-91. i would say 3500 mah would do it
Jul 15, 2008, 05:55 PM
What smoke?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gotboostedvr6
Looks like fun..

That motor is good for 85mph in a stryker, it takes 550-600 watts to do 100mph. if you use a larger lipo yo uwill get the volts needed to do 90-91. i would say 3500 mah would do it
All I know it was fast. I do have a Thunderpower eXtreme V2 Series 3 Cell 3300mAh but it's kinda big to fit in the frame. I never really checked what's the wats on the stock motor?

I ordered an Great Planes Slinger going to place the Strker motor in it.

Lostlad
Jul 15, 2008, 06:40 PM
perhaps best solution to place 4s large lipo like 3300 is to create area under fuselage into foam to install those big lipo.

It's ideal way to find best CG and keep original internal place for RC eletronic...

My F27 is almost 1 year old, perhaps I'll buy an other one barebone (like my first) and will do this idea... I'm only waiting to find best thrust with EDF (and my first F27 will test twin 55mm EDF for fun :lol: )

Quick Reply