Aug 11, 2002, 08:15 PM
Thread OP

Looking for info on Lockheed U-2 to make foamie

I'm putting together a foam cutter right now and am going to make my first project the U-2 spy plane. I have been gathering info all over the net but I still need a couple of things.

1st- I'm looking for some cross section views of the fueslage.

2nd-I am looking for a really detailed 3-view of the U-2 that can be blown up in size. I will use a overhead to increse its size.

Or if anyone knows of a free program that I can use to blow up the size and print it out I would use that. I don't know anything about CAD or DXF programs or even what you use them for I just see them talked about all the time here on the E Zone.

Thanks

Lucas

PS: I do plan on putting updates on this forum on the progress. The first U-2 will be a pusher prop. IF that one works out well I might try and make it or a second one a DF.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2002, 09:09 PM
Ascended Master
Find an F-104... the fuselage for the early U-2 ws the same..
Here's a 3-vu..
Aug 11, 2002, 09:36 PM
Ascended Master
The U-2CT was made from two crashed airplanes, with the second cockpit grafted into place..
I recall seeing the first one testing from Plant 42. One day it did a high-performance takeoff, spiraling up directly
over the field.. The commercial aircraft flight path into the Van Nuys/Burbank area also passed directly over the
field.. and at this time, a Hughes DC-9 was flying over, and the U-2 went right past it, going vertically.. The DC-9
did a hard evasive manuver, no doubt seriously disrupting the passengers. And putting white-caps in the captain's
martini.
Lockheed did a similar mod to Douglas A-4s for Singapore, taking two surplus C-models, cutting one in two just aft
of the cockpit, and inserting a complete cockpit from another fuselage, resulting in the two-distinct-canopy
variation unique to the Lockheed/Singapore A-4.
Here's the prototype, operating out of Plant 10 in 1975.
Aug 11, 2002, 10:05 PM
Ascended Master
A U-2CT in flight.. landing at Plant 42, probably 1974-75 time frame...
Aug 11, 2002, 10:08 PM
Ascended Master
and this colo(u)r scheme is guaranteed to vanish way below the usual altitude for the all-black planes.. Special paint to keep the Limeys happy in the late '70s..
Aug 12, 2002, 01:51 AM

U2 drawings

Hi!
Clicking link below you will find quite good drawings of U2 and TR1 drawings, with some fuselage cross sections. Download zip file clicking green link with below pictures.
I used these drawings to make my own plans for depron sloper. Try to download and figure out how to use TurboCAD, really simple and effective tool to prepare your plans. Just insert downloaded picture to the screen and draw new lines on it. When completed just delete picture and you will have drawing ready to scale. It's great (and free!) software.
I can send you my already drawn picture if you wish. It is in dxf format.
Regards,

Wiktor

http://www.aviacherteg.narod.ru/avia...SA/U-2/U-2.htm

Quick Reply