Aug 24, 2006, 03:12 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

16in Wingspan Guillow's P-40 Warhawk E-Conversion

I just finished framing a Guillow's P-40 Warhawk with 16in wing span. I have been plotting on a 3CH (A/E/T) E-conversion with a brushless /lipo power system.

Here is my brainstew...

CustomCDR 16.5mm motor 12g
CC TB9 (lightened): 7g
CSRC 500mah 7.4v pack: 26g
Spektrum AR6000 rx: 7g
2x GWS Pico servos: 10.8g
GWS 5x3 prop 2g
Balsa Airframe 26g

Total 91g

My scale doesnt have sub-gram resolution, so I will probably come in lighter than above. As it stands now, 3.25oz before tissue covering and control surface hardware, etc. I believe with some slight alterations, I can come in at +/- 3.5oz. I plan on using thin carbon rods for the pushrods. Maybe a pull-pull system for the elevator.

Before you say it, yes I know I could go lighter, but I am not a micro junkie, and I like my power systems to be useful in other projects, so I am going a bit heavy on my components to save money and have versatility. I also think that a plane this small with 3-4oz AUW can handle wind, especially when I intend on having 6+oz of thrust. The pitch speed should be respectable to boot.

Has anyone else gotten a small Guillows to fly, or done another project in this size range?
to remove ads between posts
Aug 24, 2006, 04:19 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Sounds like a nice project. I think it can work. Landings won't be floating in but I think it will fly fine. Monsoonrc makes a small wing called the Lil Thunder thats 16 inch wing span and uses radio gear very close the your specs. I have had a few of these and they fly well at that weight. I know these are to different projects but it shows planes this small will fly and fly well.

I also have a Guillow's Spitfire I picked up off Ebay at 16 inch wingspan. I have it all framed up and I have thought about a small setup for it. To many projects though so it's on the back burner. I was thinking of a DD brushless. We fly that on a Ace littlest Stick at 19 inch wing span and it does well on a TP 480 2 cell.

Jim
Aug 24, 2006, 04:28 PM
Thread OP
Im pondering sub 4g servos atm...dont know if the small weight savings justifies the purchase...in a 4 servo 3D setup, it makes a big difference, but I am only using 2 servos...decisions decisions.
Aug 24, 2006, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle
Has anyone else gotten a small Guillows to fly, or done another project in this size range?
The 16" Guillows models do make nice electric powered R/C conversions. I have a 16" Guillows Hellcat that is a very nice flyer at 72 grams. I am using lighter equipment but your weight will work fine with your chosen power. A number of years ago I did the Hellcat before micro gear and small brushless motors at 4 ounces. It handled the weight just fine.

If you sort through the Guillows conversion thread you will see many examples discussed including the 16" series.

Paul Bradley
Aug 24, 2006, 07:37 PM
Thread OP
Thats a monster of a thread...I got about 8 pages in before my skull developed a nice throb

Im glad my power system is on target...
Aug 24, 2006, 08:21 PM
Electric Coolhunter
A flying buddy has the 16" P-40 flying very nicely on GWS Pico gear, DD GWS 12mm brushed motor with 3/2 prop and a 2 cell 250mAh Etec lipo.

If your motor draw allows it, consider the Etec 250 2 cell lipo...works great on small models.
Latest blog entry: My 2022 event schedule.
Aug 25, 2006, 05:24 PM
Thread OP
I am holding out for some smaller cells from Common Sense RC, been trying to get the owner's ear on making small packs. We shall see!

I agree though, a 250-300mah pack would be ideal.
Aug 25, 2006, 11:55 PM
A GWS pico receiver and around 3-4 gm servos would be much better. The Pico servos are 5.4gm, and the Spektrum receiver is a tank, for a plane like this.
The 12mm Feigos direct drive work well in these planes, with a lightweight ESC like a CC Tbird 9. I actuall got the FW190 to fly with that setup, at 5oz with the fuse sheeted, but its to difficult to fly at that weight. Really need to keep them at 4oz and under.
Also need a batt that will meet the current demand of the motor. Many of the 250-350mah range start to fall off at 2.5-3A. I have a Hyperion Velicity Lite 3s-350 that is 1.25oz, a bit heavier than most that size, but can output an easy 7A, and is rated at 9, I believe.
Bill
Aug 26, 2006, 03:03 AM
Thread OP
I only have a spektrum tx, so I am stuck with it =/ Be nice if they made a 4CH version.

My motor is going to be much lighter than a Fiegao. My batteries will put out 5A continuous, which should be fine.

I am hoping for a thrust to weight ration of higher than 1:1...should make things a bit more managable. High alpha "plop" landings might be possible.
Aug 26, 2006, 05:01 AM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Did you build the airframe with the kit wood or did you build from the plans using your own wood?

Mike
Aug 26, 2006, 04:12 PM
Thread OP
I built with the kit wood...I am no balsa expert, but the wood seemd fine, with lil or no fraying, reasonably light, and durable. Again, no expert...
Aug 26, 2006, 06:49 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle
I only have a spektrum tx, so I am stuck with it =/ Be nice if they made a 4CH version.

My motor is going to be much lighter than a Fiegao. My batteries will put out 5A continuous, which should be fine.

I am hoping for a thrust to weight ration of higher than 1:1...should make things a bit more managable. High alpha "plop" landings might be possible.
That RX is a big one to get in that little airframe.

The Feigao is actually only 5 grams more than the little CDR.
In any case, the model is overpowered with a 12mm GWs brushed fan motor and 2 cells,already. The Feigao would be maximum overkill.
Latest blog entry: My 2022 event schedule.
Aug 27, 2006, 09:31 AM
The smalles Feigo short can is quilte light, but the plane would probably have to be 2oz or less, for it to work.
Bill
Aug 27, 2006, 07:35 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
The 12g CDR is going to be amazing for these little planes... the reason why I'm on the bandwagon for this motor too!
Aug 27, 2006, 08:50 PM
Thread OP
Update: Lightened my airframe 8 grams with a dremel. I am going to shoot for 3.25oz or less.

Quick Reply