This thread is privately moderated by RAY GWS, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 28, 2018, 03:35 PM
Gator's here to see you:)
Well they're back... Since you mentioned this little P-38 I'll add that my heavily modded P-38 flies unbelievably sweet and it tears a hole in the sky w speed on 4s 2200 lipo. Landings are super easy and this little gal flares in very predictably. As it turns out all my concerns about tip stalls or folding in half at speed were for nothing.

It did have a near disaster when one of the firewalls tore loose in-flight at full speed, which is well over 60mph. In an unreal ending it just did an upright flat spin like a maple or pine tree seed and gently plopped down in some tall grass completely unharmed.

Maybe I'll do a quick hatcam video and a once over of my build highlights for anybody who might want to make something special out of an otherwise rather weak kit. It was a lot to get it strong and fast but the figuring is pretty much done if others want to try. Couldn't be happier with the final product.

Good luck to those who add this kit to their collection. Mike
to remove ads between posts
Feb 28, 2018, 04:54 PM
5,200 Led Lighted Bike-Bob P.
Hi Gator.
Glad to hear you went that extra mile with the Munster P38. Those flights sound like mine. Sure is fun with the performance. Barely have to toss the plane. It just aggressively flies out of my hand on rails.I love the unlimited verticals. My grass is mowed and rolled. The plane slides in like on ice. So now you are getting what sounds like a similar experience. Careful on the big loops. I have to throttle back on the downside because of the torque. So darn much fun now.
**Neons** Bob
Aug 06, 2018, 10:49 AM
Smish-smash
Bought the kit version of this 38 here on RCG a couple of summers back and finally got it built. Maidened it yesterday and put two additional flights on it. What a plane! This model without AS3X is just as stable as my E-Flite P-51 with AS3X. I was truly amazed at how stable this model is, and it goes exactly where you point it.

My power train setup is 2 Suppo 2217/7 1250KV motors spinning counter-rotating APC 9x6E props; 2 Suppo 30-amp ESCs mounted in the booms. I glassed the whole plane with silk and WBPU and put the R and E servos in the inboard radiators. I flew with 2200 3S batts and will try an 1800 later today. Power is 435 watts at 43 amps and flying weight is 1025 grams or 2.26 lbs. I left out all the injection-molded plastic and glued the whole plane together. It will fly out of my hand and climb straight up until further notice. I can feel the weight (which is odd since 1000g for a 1200mm warbird is light) but this thing flies so well it doesn't matter.

Gripes? Acetate - all of it.

Thanks to all here on this thread for their advice. I stuck to it, for the most part, and I'm glad I did.

Cheers, all!
Aug 06, 2018, 01:50 PM
Congrats,
These planes perform well when beefed up. Unlimited verticals. Just do not do a high speed dive with not enough ground clearance. They do a slow pullout at a lot of , "g's". But it is quite a nice performer with extra power added. What a shame they are not still produced.
**Neons** Bob
Aug 11, 2018, 01:02 PM
Smish-smash
You're dead right about the high-speed dive and long pullout. I put 5 batts through it yesterday to test the limits of the envelope and had a lot of fun doing it. What great presence this model has.

Its stall is quite interesting: slow flight is not a problem but when one does hit the limit the stall is quite vicious and the plane has a tendency to want to enter a spin inverted - the stalled wing falls fast and the other comes up and over and next thing she's almost on her back. Today I'll do some spins from altitude and see what I get; once the lift is lost she drops like a rock.

I found that she'll balance and fly on a 1300 3S! I got 6-min flights on those batts. Mind you, I flew rather sedately, but still... That brings my AUW down to around 950 grams. Nice. I will have to devise some cooling for the batt compartment, as they came down very warm. Engine cooling is not a problem, since I channeled from the firewall all the way back to the radiators and cut cooling holes outboard (servos were inboard). The cowls themselves are crap and need beefing up.

Loving this plane right now.
Aug 11, 2018, 01:13 PM
I always back off throttle some on dives or loops on the downside flight. I found that built in washout on the ailerons helps stalls on the low end speeds. I fly mine with a degree up on the ailerons. Really helps landings also. I do that on many of my warplanes. I like the positive pull /pull control on the elevator. Another thought is if the plane has a lot of speed I change the foam control surfaces to balsa for a more positive control.
**Neons**Bob
Aug 11, 2018, 09:46 PM
Smish-smash
Agreed re: killing the throttle on dives and downlines.

I'll reflex the ailerons a couple of mm and see what effect that has.

Cheers, Bob.

Quick Reply