Aug 21, 2006, 04:10 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

MicroRacers flying in high wind - try it!

A bit of a plug here, but I feel strongly about this:

I just got back from holidays, and had some great flying with the MicroRacer P-51 - it blew me away!

Check this beach out - surreal!

I had previously never flown on a beach before, but these planes can handle big big wind - particularly the type of wind that comes off of the water - so I want to encourage you guys to try flying these 10" wingspan planes in the wind - I loved it! Great penetration with these profile kits - so don't think that these planes are only for the gym - even at 12 grams AUW you can penetrate big wind!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2006, 06:25 AM
A&P Mechanic
reminds me of the island in the movie 'Willow'
Aug 21, 2006, 04:11 PM
Realtired User
Bud,

Wow, where is that? Is that up in B.C. somewhere?

Mark
Aug 21, 2006, 05:19 PM
Had my Shoestring out in the wind last night, man these things move. Still having trouble trimming it but it is a rush to fly. It seems to be nose heavy and wants to turn left. Broke my motor off so will try some more right thrust, and a little weight in the rear.
Aug 21, 2006, 05:31 PM
Nice photo.
I'll second that a 12g 10" span plane can handle some wind.
I havent flown the plantraco racers but have flown a 10"span 10g plane in some wind.
My 10"span profile guided mite could handle quite a bit of wind. This is kind of coicidental but I was in va over the weekend (not at a beach nor on vacation but near an old strip job drainage pond that has recently been drained) flying my square9 with landing gear. Suprisingly it can take a little wind with the landing gear. I'm afraid to fly it higher than 30ft or so when the wind is blowing but it is flyable in a light wind.
I would imagine that the microracers are quite fun flying at the beach I wouldnt dare try to fly a butterfly or square9 at the beach unles it was dead calm but I dont ever remember a calm beach. Is there such a thing as a beach where the wind doesnt blow? All my memories of sitting at the beach are windy even at sunrise when the wind is calm everywhere else.

Billy
Aug 21, 2006, 06:43 PM
Mack

Beach Flying

We have just returned from a trip up the east coast of Australia to Hervey Bay (Queensland) where the whales cavorted nicely for us. I took along a 14 inch span 16 gm low-wing profile model, of mostly 2mm and 1mm (sanded down) Depron, powered with a KP00 direct drive motor (with the geared pager I originally used it was underpowered). The cell was from an Aero Ace and Bitcharger RC was used. The model survived the trip snugged down in a compartment of our camper trailer. It was flown on numerous beaches along the way sometimes in a very slight breeze but mostly in the almost still morning and evening lulls. An unfortunate nosedive into very fine sand at Emerald Beach led to the demise of the KP that now whines like a banshee but delivers little thrust. Lots of interest from fellow "grey nomads" as we caravan park denizens are known over here. No flying on the day of the photo!

Peter
Last edited by Peter Mack; Aug 21, 2006 at 07:32 PM. Reason: Omitted picture
Aug 22, 2006, 02:33 AM
Thread OP
Yes - that beach shot was on Vancouver Island, BC.

DD is better for beach flying if you crash in the sand (gearbox get's messed up with grit). Note that sand is also bad for Bahoma - lots of black crap on the magnets if you land in the sand - so there are some challenging landings sometimes - but overall, flying at the beach was a lot of fun.
Aug 22, 2006, 04:03 AM
That beach looks like something directly out of World of Warcraft (an MMORPG).. It reminds me of the haunted islands near Southshore. - For those of you who know the game.

-Kyle

Quick Reply