Aug 20, 2006, 01:22 PM
-plancks only-
Thread OP
Build Log

Kyosho Calmato Sport .40 conversion

Hi,

working on a Kyosho Calmato sport .40 conversion.

Motor BM3520/7 with APC 11*5.5
6S1P 3300 Lipo
Towerpro 65A 6S controller

AUW = 2500 gram

Slightly modified the controller with additional heatsink (i just do that with controllers )

Still needs servos with pull/pull, good motorhatch and wheelpants.
Last edited by Franck; Aug 27, 2006 at 05:21 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 22, 2006, 04:25 PM
Nice but... what about the all-important battery acces mon ami? :-)
Aug 22, 2006, 04:30 PM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Hey Armengol you're like god my friend you're everywhere...

Franck let's see some more detailed pics please looks like a nice flyer

Alex
Aug 22, 2006, 05:24 PM
-plancks only-
Thread OP
a su servicio !

Changed rudder (and _to do still_ elevator) to pull-pull. Replaced the original "hinges" with dubro ones. Much smoother movement.

Also made an opening for the battery's. Used paint sticks as compartiment floor. Compartiment still needs some padding, to prevent battery damage.

Aiming for maiden next weekend.

Regards,

Franck
Last edited by Franck; Aug 22, 2006 at 05:48 PM.
Aug 23, 2006, 03:31 PM
-plancks only-
Thread OP
Elevator ready pull/pull, als controls are functional.
Only thing left is the battery compartiment
Aug 23, 2006, 03:53 PM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Nice going

Any numbers from the setup (A/V/W).

Going to use similar setup only 5S.

Please, some video from your maiden (if you dare )

Cheers,

Peter
Aug 23, 2006, 04:33 PM
-plancks only-
Thread OP
Tnx Peter,

No, no real accurate numbers yet, else then 12000 rpm with a 11*5.5 at wot wich is close to 750 watts.

This is my first (close to) 1000Watt electric. Just putting this setup to WOT scares the h**ll out of me Sounds and feels like runnning a .46 (indoors) at full throttle. Ill do more measurements this weekend when my ofb is around.
Last edited by Franck; Aug 23, 2006 at 04:42 PM.
Aug 24, 2006, 03:39 PM
-plancks only-
Thread OP
Battery's are tight with some velcro. Battery's are protected from denting with some soft balsa and foam. The hatch and wheelpants are all that remain.
Aug 25, 2006, 05:12 PM
-plancks only-
Thread OP
Hatch is done (a la " LOST" ), need some blue covering. Wheelpants are epoxyed to frame on lg.
Aug 26, 2006, 08:26 AM
-plancks only-
Thread OP
ready for maiden !
Aug 26, 2006, 08:59 AM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Nice looking finished bird that one Franck...wish you the best on maiden flight and if possible do some recording of the event

I'll try and maiden mine tomorrow morning.

Alex
Aug 26, 2006, 01:58 PM
-plancks only-
Thread OP
Tnx,

We have (at lease) two calmato maidens in europe tomorrow then ?

Good luck with yours! (buena suerte ?)
Aug 26, 2006, 03:56 PM
MG ZS180 proud owner
Franck mine's not a Calmato but a Cessna 182...anyway thanks and best of luck...I'm still finishing the linkages...want everything to work nice and smooth on maiden

Alex
Aug 26, 2006, 07:22 PM
Account closed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franck
Tnx Peter,

No, no real accurate numbers yet, else then 12000 rpm with a 11*5.5 at wot wich is close to 750 watts.

This is my first (close to) 1000Watt electric. Just putting this setup to WOT scares the h**ll out of me Sounds and feels like runnning a .46 (indoors) at full throttle. Ill do more measurements this weekend when my ofb is around.
Excuse me but, according to the place that most people are buying this "BIG KAHUNA" ...BM3520/7 Brushless motor:

http://www.gorillabobsshack.com/cata...products_id=69

Most notably:
Do not exceed 700 watts with this motor!

It clearly states that you must NOT surpass 700 Watts on this motor! I have witnessed one particular Orlando, Florida RC Flyer that over-extended and stress a very well known Model Motors AXI 4120 in his Great Planes 60 size Lancair and the motor windings shorted out causing a wicked chain of events that his model's Opto Jetti 70 AMP ESC shorted out along with his expensive Li-POLY pack. The model did have a UBEC but, that did not help things as his flight pack was drained/shorted because of the type of in-flight failure and the model was a dead duck before hitting the ground and causing a large crater.

I have NO PROBLEM with certain people here pushing the limits of new found Brushless motors as they are your models to do your bidding but, lets disclose at least what the distributor is disclosing as maximum limits so, everyone here can realize that you all are on a no return flight of sorts

I would caution those pushing the limits of these motors if you are flying in a private sanctioned AMA field (USA) and if the purposeful setup causes a crash and hurts someone your AMA may not cover the personal damages as this is viewed as will-full endangerment of those at the club and private property that the model may cause on the way down.

I have seen just too many of these setups in these forums without accurate measurements and I respectfully recommend a change in this practice.

For those seeking dare-devil thrills with their power systems, I would recommend at least one separate battery pack for your receiver such that you will still have control over this large model should the "HIGH ENERGY POWER SYSTEM" causes an ugly in-flight failure such as a thrown magnet or shorted winding.
Last edited by guapoman2000; Aug 26, 2006 at 08:15 PM.
Aug 27, 2006, 02:39 AM
<- Balsa flies better ->
Franck,

Carlos (guapoman2000) has a point here, I don't think it's very wise running at those rpm's.
On 5S it seems holding up nice running at 750W, Milton, Spadkun has been running there's for a long time @~750W (Milton actually around 6 months now).

//Peter

Quick Reply