Aug 18, 2006, 08:30 AM
SG Talon... Super Genius.
Thread OP
Build Log

V-22 Tiltrotor Scratch Build

So i have been thinking about this project for a long time.

I bought a couple of motors off my favorite ebay seller
2410-12Y Brushless Motors

And started designing with Autodesk Inventor.

My main concern is controlling the vertical thrust. If my thrust is not matched it will be hard to keep a hover. I plan on using a single speed control to control both motors so they are matched. I plan on building a wiring harness that just ties the poles together into a single set to plug into my esc. Does anyone know if this is the right way to do it? I have never built a twin electric and i am not sure how to do it correctly.

Anyhow. I am tying my engine nacelles together with a carbon tube and using a standard size servo to tilt my motors. Horizontal to 10 degrees back. I may limit that to vertical but i am not sure yet.

I added thrust vectoring vanes to the back of my nacelles to give me some control there. - Thanks JetSett44! Got that idea from his X-31 I plan on mixing that as an elevon channel. We will see how that goes. I may need to leave it as a standard aileron channel.

My model does not have any of the corners rounded off so i could use the parts as my cut pattern. I plan on building this over the weekend and test flying Sunday - I hope.

In the event that it is even marginally sucessful i will release the plans here for you guys to try out.

Some specs:

25" wingspan - not counting rotor swing
25" long
9" tall
Airfoil Wing
6 servos needed for controlling everything
2410-12Y brushless motors
GWS ESC15A speed control
7.4v 1050 mah Li-Po
11" props - for initial testing

Here are the Renders of the model.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2006, 12:06 PM
Sussex, UK
There's a lot of people trying this in the helicopter forum, it's not as easy as you'd think but several people have succeeded. I'd strongly suggest doing some reading before you go much further.
Aug 18, 2006, 01:33 PM
Thread OP
I have looked at a lot of them. The one that is MOST successful is staying completely away from the helicopter side.

He uses vanes on his motor pod to control the plane. Mine is using a slightly different approach with the motor thrust being seperately controlled and using thrust vectoring vanes to direct it.
Aug 18, 2006, 01:55 PM
INDORUS EXPARAMINTO
Most people have a problem with getting the rotors rotated for forward flight.
The problem occurs when you try to go from vertical flight to horz. flight your planes fuselage rotates upward instead of the motors/rotors tilting down.
Good luck
Larry
Aug 18, 2006, 02:03 PM
Fly it like you stole it..
If it works, I'll build it..
Aug 18, 2006, 05:30 PM
If it ain't broke...break it!
as long as it's got more power than weight
Some where there's a thread on running two brushless motors on one ESC. Ahh, here https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=531001
Aug 19, 2006, 01:36 AM
Robots... robots everywhere
Quote:
The problem occurs when you try to go from vertical flight to horz. flight your planes fuselage rotates upward instead of the motors/rotors tilting down.
You need a very low center of gravity in the fuselage, and preferably have the props on the rotation line. I've always wondered about doing this, pusher style instead. It should be more stable.
Aug 19, 2006, 02:08 AM
Don't try to use one ESC... you need differential something to control roll in the hover, and if you don't have variable pitch proprotors, it'll have to be throttle.
Aug 19, 2006, 07:32 AM
Sussex, UK
Thrust vectoring should work - just like hovering a pizzabox flyer.
I wonder if you'll need more leverage for them to work as elevators though?
Aug 19, 2006, 07:45 AM
3d and EDF, some scale
good luck,one thing i can tell you is u need a few gyros,on my VTOL i had to have them to have any chance of controlling pitch and roll in order to sucessfully fly that thing. I finally got it off the ground with both motors set to about 60 degrees fixed and it flew for a few minutes before crashing due to a quick 180 degree turn that stalled the wings.use the set-up that VToLman reccomends and u should something workable. It takes time and is very complex but can be very rewarding,mine was at events i showed it at while it was still alive,ill post a link to my thread
Aug 19, 2006, 07:47 AM
3d and EDF, some scale
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=471820 thats the link
Aug 20, 2006, 07:32 PM
Thread OP
I am going to see what happens with no differential thrust. I am sure i can get it to take off and then quickly transition. I agree that counteracting any roll condition is going to be interesting.

At this point i am a bit limited in my hardware. 2 matched motors, 1 speed control, and a computer radio.... I will keep you guys updated.
Aug 20, 2006, 08:46 PM
Don't try to transition quickly! The only way transition works is to do it very slowly...

You really need that pitch gyro, at the very least.
Aug 21, 2006, 08:42 AM
Thread OP
Gyro Schmyro!
Aug 21, 2006, 12:25 PM
Sussex, UK
I suppose another way to do it would be like a 3D plane, hovering with the nose in the air and using the rudders and elevator for control.

Or just an ordinary fixed with, with the motors only going up a maximum of about 45 degrees so the tail always has some air over it..

Otherwise I really think you'll need two ESCs

Quick Reply