Royal ASW 28-18 "not a let but not a letdown either" - RC Groups
Aug 16, 2006, 11:37 AM
Not a Let, but not a letdown.

I flew my Royal (Czech, from Northeast Sailplanes) ASW 28-18 for the first time this weekend. It was my first model aerotow and I have to say it was a real thrill.

I left half my brain home, due to nervousness cutting into my ability to think clearly, but the plane handled beautifully on takeoff, tow and cruising around. I will have to say the landing could have been better, but the only damage was to my ego.

After some minor revisions to the installation on the advice of Steve Richman I look forward to trying it again, this time with less nervousness.

This version is 4.09 meters span and all molded. I've got a Picolario in it and though I found no lift, I have to say it's really nice to get a voice report from the glider. Years ago I had (and still have) Walt Good's original Thermic Sniffler, but I only used it once on a dull day. The Picolario is, as it should be, lightyears ahead of Dr. Good's pioneering effort.

I have a picture or two of the ASW 28 on my blog, but I am at work, not on my own computer, so I can't post one here.

I also can't comment on the kit, since it is the first plane of it's type that I've put together. Seemed quite nice except for a broken hinge in the rudder that I had to make, since NES didn't seem all that anxious to get a replacement for me. Not hard to make, the first try was okay, but I made a second that is a very good hinge, and that's what's in there now.

Pete
to remove ads between posts