Aug 14, 2006, 09:25 PM
The dude...
Thread OP
Build Log

CA Models Funky .40 - E-Conversion!!

Aug – 8th:
Well – the kit has arrived!! Came home to a fully intact Funky .40 kit lying by the front door…

I’ve finally got around to starting the build on my first .40 size glow to electric conversion. I wanted something other than today's ARF's and a plane that is different from the rest. I went with the Funky .40 by CA Models for a couple of reasons. It has a pretty cool style and the control surfaces are a blend of 3D and pattern. It kind of reminds me of a Cermark Banshee E3D to tell you the truth… I wanted a kit that was laser cut and nothing by the US distributors that you see every day at the field. This plane was around about 3-4 years ago, so it’s not the latest must have – and I’ve got room to do my own finishing touches.

It’s pretty hard to locate any sites that carry it, and the only domestic site is http://www.aero-works.net . It’s imported from Argentina if I remember correctly and comes with plans for the wing and tail section, but not the fuse. I was happy to see that the cowl came with a clear plastic former and I can actually build new cowls from this which was cool at a later date. I was really on the fence and thought a YS .63S would be the ticket, but naaah – E-power is the way this time around…

Right now I'm headed towards a Hacker B50-13S with 5S ~4000-5000mah packs. I’ve been undecided on the newer outrunners vs. the inrunner with gearboxes so we’ll see. The AUW should be in the 4-5lb range depending on Motor and Lipo pack, so I’m still scrubbing the E-Zone looking for the perfect combo…

Here is a link to a thread from 2003 with a pic... LINK

Here is the thread itself

Jason
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2006, 09:30 PM
The dude...
Thread OP

Aug – 9th:

I had the box opened up last night and started getting all of the pieces set aside and pulled out of the laser cut sheets. The fuse had a strange warp, so I did some soaking in water, compressed it a bit and let is sit overnight. Today I pulled it out and it was much better, but still a tad bit damp. I decided to fit the fuse sides and formers together (dry fit) and tape them to let the pieced do the final drying. So far, everything is straightening up and looking really good. The instructions on the kit are lacking to say the least; there is something to be said for good translations. I feel like a scratch build with some guidance, but man it takes reading several times on a few areas… Some pics are attached and a build thread has been started on my web-page, I’ll get one going soon on RCGroups while the build progresses.

HERE IS A LINK TO MY BUILD PHOTOS

I did get a motor and ESC lined up today for this thing. The motor is a Hacker B50-13S with a 6.7:1 gear ratio (planetary GB) and a Castle Creations Phoenix-80 ESC. I still need the servos, BEC, and a Lipo pack to support this – so there is still some $$ to be spent… Anyway, here are the pics:
Aug 14, 2006, 09:36 PM
The dude...
Thread OP

Aug – 12/13th:

I was able to spend some time this weekend working on the kit and made some pretty good headway. I got the fuse glued up on Sat am and started working on the sheeting for the fuse and turtle deck ( I had to butt some sheets together and create a larger sheet). This had to dry for a day, I was pretty much stalled out as I needed to setup a building board. We had a BBQ to head to for the wife’s B-day, so I was pretty much done for the day.

Sunday was another productive day… I grabbed a ceiling tile from Lowe’s for 54 cents and started on the tail feathers. The directions for this plane are horrible and I find that I am customizing many things that I just don’t understand in the directions. It really is a matter of translation to English and some very odd terms are used. I needed to get the balsa covering on the turtle deck formed and glued to the foam core so I had to shift priorities for a bit. I had some UHU Hart that I used for butting the sheeting together and then since I was gluing to Styrofoam – I had to use some thing that won’t melt the foam. I had some UHU Por which is made for foam and it’s basically a contact adhesive. I brushed some on the balsa, brushed some on the foam and centered the foam on the balsa. Flip it over and spray the balsa until it is wet enough to be pliable – and fold over and tack to the foam. It was great that they sent a mold so you just drop the turtle deck into the foam mold, tape up the edges, weight it down and then wait for 6 hours.

The tail feathers were pretty straight forward and it appears to be a box with no airfoil… Hmm, should I take the time to bevel and create an airfoil? Not sure yet, so time will tell. This bird will also have dual elevator servos since it is split in the middle. I’m debating a pull-pull on the rudder, but not sure yet – we’ll see. I grabbed some photos of it so far and man this is going to be huge compared to my other park fliers!!! I also ordered a motor mount and heatsink for the B50 so they should be in next week too. I have 2 batteries that will be on the way – one is a Thunder Power 5S2P – 4000 mah stick and the other is a MaxAmps 5S1P – 4000mah slab. I’ll need to grab a UBEC and build a test stand to run some #’s on amperage and props… I’ll be in San Diego this weekend, so I’ll probably make some more progress on that the following week. THis should get the ball rolling though...
Aug 14, 2006, 09:42 PM
The dude...
Thread OP

Aug 14th

When I arrived home today I found a box sitting by the door. My new Hacker B50-13S had showed up with a Castle Creation Phoenix 80 ESC. The motor mount isn’t here yet, so it’ll be a few days before I can fit it up and continue on the fuse… This evening I’ll try sheet the elevator and work on the tail some more – I’d like to wrap that up and have it built before I leave for this weekend.

This is the first electric I've done that will pull greater than 35 amps - any suggestions on motor connectors or will the standard 3.5mm bullet connectors be fine?

Hope to have props and UBEC this week so I can start bench testing my power system. I'll also need to look at servos as well. I was thinking a 6v UBEC, but that will rule out digital servos - so maybe a 5v UBEC and digital on the rudder with maybe some 3102's everywhere else - any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jason
Aug 14, 2006, 10:50 PM
Involuntary Beta Tester
I've got the exact power system in my Great Planes Venus; B50 13s, 6.7:1 with heat sink, Hacker Master 70 3p Opto ESC, 16x10 APC, TP 5s4p 5300. AUW is about 5lbs 9oz. I use Futaba 3102 all around. This is a reliable and sweet sounding power system. I get about 9 minutes flying and put back about 4000mah. However with your model it looks like it will be much lighter. A 15x10 is what I started out with but later as the battery technology improved I moved up to a 16x10. I'm pulling about 62-65 amps static. Since I fly more pattern like maneuvers I chose a prop with more pitch speed. You may want to try a 16x8. I've pulled out of a short hover and the 16x10 stalls. As previously mentioned in the other thread another option is the B50-11s 6.7:1 and a 4s pack, with a 16x8.

I'm not sure why you need dual elevator servos. May a metal U joint and join the elevators. I used a similar setup in a Seduction Freestyle successfully. Also with the dual elevators your TX must support dual elevators. One servo has to be reversed. If your TX doesn't support this feature don't use a servo reversing Y connector. The are inaccurate and don't hold their settings. It's best to resolder the motor and pots leads to reverse the servo and then use a plain Y connector. I just went through this on my Funtana 90.

Keep up the good work. Finding a thread where someone is building rather than assembling is rare these days.

Kelvin
Aug 14, 2006, 11:18 PM
The dude...
Thread OP
Thaks Kelvin!

I'm starting with the B50-13S and we'll go from there... I think the airframe alone will be around 25oz, so pile the rest on top ~ 5lbs. This plane is a fun fly so a blend between the two (though I enjoy pattern quite a bit, I ocassionally want to huck one around...) The Dual elevators are just by design - I was thinking of something similar to secure the two halves... My xmtr is a 9C so no worries with duals - though I'd like to keep her light where I can.

It's so hard to find anything to build (that everyone doesn't have) that I started looking back a few years at older planes. I was looking at the Venus and a local guy ran his E-power (I think it had a B50 geared, but not sure which one..) up a weekend back and it was a great flier. Decided on this as it was a good looking plane and it gave me a chance to tinker instead of a 4-8 hour call it complete assembly... ARFs are great and have their place in my hanger, but I was in need of a "kit' fix this time around...

Jason
Aug 16, 2006, 04:18 PM
D.G.B.
Jason here is two pictures of mine .All framed up for 1 1/2 yrs The second picture is where and how I made a battery hatch.enjoy,
KOMET44
Latest blog entry: phasor 15-4 old skool
Aug 16, 2006, 05:57 PM
The dude...
Thread OP
Komet-
Thanks for the photos!!

I like the way you did your hatch and was trying to think of a way for me to do that or whether I would have to insert my lipos from below. Once I get the motor mounted and the wing framed up I'll be able to tell a bit better where the packs will go to get the CG close - I might have to give that a try!!

Cheers,
Jason
Aug 17, 2006, 12:01 PM
And You're Not
I run a B50 13S on a 4 1/2lb 3D plane and don't like the 10 pitch props. You give it throttle and you can hear the motor rev, but the plane doesn't move. With a 16X8, it hooks up a LOT better and will pull out of a hover much quicker.
Aug 17, 2006, 01:18 PM
Real Men Fly Pink Planes...
I have always liked this plane and kept wanting to do this or a Sig Somethin extra...niether has ever happened of course...

Kirby
Aug 17, 2006, 04:05 PM
The dude...
Thread OP
I grabbed a 16x8 today and figured that would be a good prop to go with anyways. The 10 probably isn't bad for pattern, but I want a mix and I'm willing to compromise on speed... We'll see once it's airborne - I always try several to get the one that suits my flying style

Making some headway and most of the components are here already. I have the Aero-Model motor mount (the black aluminum cage) and it gets very snug near the nose of the cowl with it... With the prop adaptor, I should be fine - if not, looks like the dremel will come out and I'll glass some scoops on the side to cover the cutouts and improve airflow... I looked at a couple of other's B50 mounts and I don't see any that will solve my narrow cowl problem. I'll grab some photos soon to post - maybe tonight since the wife is away and I'll have an evening to work on it.

Strangely enough, I was talking to my father this week about a Sig Somethin' Extra conversion...

Jason
Aug 18, 2006, 12:01 AM
The dude...
Thread OP
So here are a couple of pics so far. Turtledeck mounted, fuse built up - still debating how to deal with lipo packs... Time to start on the wing when I get back next week. Looks like it will be 3102's for servos all the way around with a 6v UBEC. That should be sufficient for torque and at a weight of .7 oz each - almost half a std. servo.

I have the heatsink for the B50, but since I'm just fitting right now - it's not on there... I checked tonight and I'll have to extend the fuse about 1" farther forward to mount the cowl and I don't think I'll have to cutout the sides - that should be easy

Here you go.
Jason
Aug 18, 2006, 03:35 PM
D.G.B.
Jason forgot to mention this before.My plane weight at this stage is 26.2 oz.Another thing ,How are you going to deal with no reference line for the motor thrust line? Left to right should be easy but the up and down has me worried.I wish the fuse had a datetm line.Looks good so far.
KOMET44
Latest blog entry: phasor 15-4 old skool
Aug 18, 2006, 03:56 PM
The dude...
Thread OP
Thrust lines have been long standing problems with these kits since there are no fuse plans - I don't have the right answer yet so I'll have to do some more research to make sure it is close.

Off the cuff I'd say it's close to the center of the cowl when mounted flush and I'll need to carry that line back to the tail and make sure it makes sense before I get everything bolted up. I'm as concerned as you are

Jason
Aug 21, 2006, 03:29 PM
Jasosn:

A very stupid question:

What thickness are the tail feathers?

and another:

Are the tail feathers only balsa?

Thanks,

JL
Last edited by JLSalas; Aug 21, 2006 at 04:04 PM.

Quick Reply