Aug 14, 2006, 07:23 PM
Discussion

Lipo fire at home yesterday...

I want to stress both of these issues were my fault but I had 2 issues, both happened yesterday...

1. TP780 in my IFO. Wires on the JST connecter shorted out. (Pins on the connecter broke loose) Puffed the batteries & got very very hot & very puffed, but no flames.

2. TP900 in Gymallo. Charged on incorrect battery setting of 2000ma instead of 900ma. (bad me) After 2 hours it flamed up in my basement & scratch one Gymallo & all brushless components. Rats, now how do I replace my 15T LensRC motor?

But.. Thank God.. we were home and my alarm caught the fire early & no damage to my house other than alot of smoke. If we were not home, it would have kept going...

P.S. The Gymallo wing burns very well & very fast...

Reminder: Keep it safe when using your batteries & stay home when charging.

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2006, 07:38 PM
Thanks for informing everyone. Glad the damage was contained.
Aug 14, 2006, 10:02 PM
The Great Santini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimklein

Jim
You are lucky your wife doesn't have your nu*s in a vice by now for charging unattended in the basement and assuming all will be fine. That smoke is corrosive by the way.
Aug 15, 2006, 12:30 AM
Glad your house and family are ok. Apparently "they" got it right; it's a bad idea to charge a lipo while it's still in the plane. Get a battery vault.
Aug 15, 2006, 08:51 AM
I think we are all adults here and it is apparent that jimklein is well aware of some bad choices that he made. He certainly didnt have to come public with this and admit his shortcomings. I believe he is doing this for our benefit. It serves no purpose to further critisize him for actions that he already admited were not wise.
Aug 15, 2006, 08:59 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Most of us have to go through a like experience before taking the proper precautions. I now use a lipo sack - don't ask.
Aug 15, 2006, 09:06 AM
Frequent Flyer
Thanks for posting that, Jim. Reminders of what could happen are good.

How bad is the smoke damage? Any corrosion of metal in your basement?
Aug 15, 2006, 11:33 AM
dst
dst
I am going to put a smoke detector above the area where I charge my batteries.

dt
Aug 15, 2006, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimklein

2. TP900 in Gymallo. Charged on incorrect battery setting of 2000ma instead of 900ma. (bad me) After 2 hours it flamed up in my basement & scratch one Gymallo & all brushless components. Rats, now how do I replace my 15T LensRC motor?

Jim
Jim,

Can you provide any more details on the above such as charger used?

I wouldn't expect a fire if the only issue was a charge rate slightly over 2C. Even with a serial charger and a bad cell imbalance it's pretty surprising.

Any guesses as to why the charge didn't terminate? The vast majority of charge related LiPo fires seem to involve specifying the wrong chemistry or cell count issues (charger or operator).

Thanks,
Mike