Aug 14, 2006, 04:43 AM
Electric Helis is my game
Thread OP
Discussion

CC HV 85 - Need help!

Can anyone explain the CC HV 85 to me.

Im running it on my E-Raptor with Stock gear (10/85)

First, how is the softstart thought to work? I am currently running Fixed Heli mode, Slow start set to 2 (SLOW).

Went out and spooled up on normal to just 50RPM or so, then flipped the idle up, thinking that it would spool up slow the rest of the way.

Nope, Zap and it left me with a maingear without teeth left.

My Target RPM is at 75% of my throttle (-110/+110 endpoints on throttle), So according to manual I should try Govenor Low, which I did, No luck, got 1500 RPM max, so I switched to Govenor High, Now I reached my target RPM (2000ish) at 50% throttle.

However, It was not flyable, each load change the heli twitched like hell.

If I went up to 65% throttle the twitching went away, but then the RPM was way to high.

Now I am back on Fixed heli mode, which would be OK if I had a soft spool up, because I have a habit of switching the idle up directly, it will happen again..

So, two questions.

1. Is the softspoolup working for anyone? If so, how should it be used?
2. Is it just to give up on the govenor or? Dont want to gear down the heli.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 14, 2006, 04:53 AM
Maybe once you have started the spool up and have a constant motor speed, although slow, the ESC assumes the heli is spooled up, if you then hit the idle up it will rapidly increase motor speed to that required depending upon the throttle response setting you have. If you flip the idle up from the start then you should get a slow spool up.

The Align 75A ESC is very similar, it also has variable throttle response mainly to help bail out of a failed auto, if I do the same as you I get the same sort of result, I'm now in the habit of placing the heli down and flipping straight into idle up 1 or 2 until the flight is finished, then I land and hit throttle hold.
Aug 14, 2006, 05:06 AM
Thread OP
I guess the Throttle Response setting takes over, gonna try that, and cross my fingers and pray.

However, under Spool Up section in the manual it says:
"This setting controls how quickly the power is ramped up from zero or low head-speed to the throttle level given from the transmitter"

That "low headspeed" dont seems to work...
Aug 14, 2006, 05:17 AM
Thread OP
Did a test with only the motor and yep, it was as you said.

If the motor is turning (even slow) and you ramp up the throttle (to idle up) it goes right away to that RPM.

If you start from zero it spools up according to the spool up speed set in the program.
Aug 14, 2006, 09:19 AM
So you are plugging the battery in in Norm mode and switching right to Idle 1 with good results?
Aug 14, 2006, 09:37 AM
Thread OP
Yes, from zero throttle to 75% with Spoolup speed set to 2 (Slow) is a perfect match for my E-Raptor with the Z50T Motor.

Just make sure its from ZERO throttle, not low throttle as stated in the manual.
Aug 14, 2006, 10:34 AM
Having seen the same issue with the 85HV I wonder what is going to happen if you really do bail on an auto.

It's apparent that the motor will strip the main gear if you flip the hold switch back on if it's stripping gears on you by not imediately going from zero to desired HS.

I have everything concerning startup turned to it's lowest settings in fixed mode, I still have little doubt it will peel the main gear in an instant if you were to bail an you HS was down to where you can see the blades which is where it is likely to be done.

I have stripped 2 main gears while the slow start was in operation in Gov mode and the motor was oscillating back and forth so hard the main couldn't take the stress. This was on 12S

I can't get satisfactory operation with this ESC on Gov mode at higher cell counts. That's why I'm trying to get the Fixed throttle mode working. The ESC and the motor both run hotter and you can hear the Gov trying to keep the speed constant while fighting the Gyro when not under much load IE hovering.
Aug 14, 2006, 10:38 AM
It shouldn't be that bad with a bail-out as you should still have a reasonable rotorspeed at least, you can vary the throttle response to give a fast pickup without stripping gears.
Aug 14, 2006, 10:55 AM
Thread OP
Al,

Do you have lowered the Throttle Response setting as well? Thats the speed how fast it will change between 2 diffrent throttle %
Aug 14, 2006, 12:04 PM
Right now I have everything as low as it go and it's still scary if you add throttle too quickly. I now understand that is because I haven't been going right into Idle 1 or 2 on start up. This is on a 90 sized heli running 11S.

After already peeling 2 main gears with it I'm leary to even think about it.

If you've got decent HS why would you need to bail?

I only do if it's the last option because even a glow heli stresses the transmission when flipping out of hold.

They'll piro like crazy until the tail gets some authority but stripping gears isn't likely.
Aug 14, 2006, 02:46 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In gov mode I can go to idle 1 or 2 and it doesn't affect the soft start at all. I switch it as soon as the blades are turning, but no where near full HS.

FB
Aug 14, 2006, 03:01 PM
A man with too many toys
I was just playing with the latest version of software that came out late last month. It seams to do better on my ORK-Raptor. In the governor mode I can run more governor gain without getting into a fight with the gyro. For any setup less than 12 cells the governor mode is the way to go.

It was a bit overcast early in the morning and I could actually see the LED on the ESC in flight. Thatís really a cool way to set the maximum headspeed. I set it so the LED only comes on during hard 3D. I found that setting it up that way I could actually get another minute of flying time over the throttle curve mode. The governor does a very efficient job of managing the throttle.

I have not tried the latest governor on my 12s Raptor so I donít know if the governor problem when running at limit voltage has been solved or not. Anyone tried it?

RC
Aug 14, 2006, 03:32 PM
I run Gov High on 12s eMoli in my eR50 with HV85 with no problems. However, 12s Emoli is a little milder than 12s lipo.
Aug 14, 2006, 03:56 PM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Bronk
In gov mode I can go to idle 1 or 2 and it doesn't affect the soft start at all. I switch it as soon as the blades are turning, but no where near full HS.

FB
This is on an Ork motor also.

FB
Aug 14, 2006, 04:27 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerazor
I run Gov High on 12s eMoli in my eR50 with HV85 with no problems. However, 12s Emoli is a little milder than 12s lipo.
What is you governor gain setting?

What motor are you running?

Thanks,
RC

Quick Reply