Aug 12, 2006, 07:39 PM
Husband, Dad, Skydiver, RC'r
Thread OP
Build Log

Footy - Kittiwake Build

Just thought that I would throw up a few pictures of the Footy kit that I'm building from Scale Sailing the Kittiwake. This is my second sail boat, but my first sail boat build.

My other sail boat is a Victoria that I bought from a local club member.

Anyway, down to business, my kit came on Thursday and other than pulling the instructions out I did not do anything else with it until today. The contents all look to be complete and of good quality.

The CD with the photos and notes is great, and very helpful.

Here are some pictures of my progress so far today, I've attached a few notes to each.

BK
to remove ads between posts
Aug 12, 2006, 09:37 PM
Bill K, I am anxiously awaiting my Kittiwake kit but in the mean time and I have subscribed to this thread and I will be watching in great anticipation. What type of epoxy did you use to glue the skins to the foam? Thanks......Greg
Aug 13, 2006, 08:07 AM
Thread OP
Hello Greg,

I'm using 15 minute epoxy mixed with micro ballons and then applied in a thin film. I did find it helpful to have the pieces of tape cut first and I used a latex glove to spread the glue once mixed onto the foam. I also taped each piece at the stern before I started gluing so that it acted like a flap. Once the glue was on the foam, I just closed the flap and finished taping it down.

More pictures this afternoon,
Bill
Aug 13, 2006, 12:48 PM
Thread OP

Update

Here is a little update, I've glued the transom on and let it dry and sanded it match the rest of the hull. One thing I make sure of is that I spread a thin layer on the edges of the light ply where they meet so that they get a good seal. Then when sanded it leaves a nice tight seem that I can later seal without a lot of extra filling first.

Graham, do you remember what the weight of yours was at this point? Also I notice that the new laser cut transom was done after the instructions pictures were taken. I'm also glad that you pre-carved the foam in the stern area for the control rods. For some reason I was dreading that and was happy to see it already done.

Here are the pictures.

BK
Aug 13, 2006, 03:20 PM
Thread OP
Ok, I made a little more progress this afternoon while watching the Braves about blow another one. Nice to see them come back and win for a change.

Anyway, I've added the two brass cotter pins and glass bead into the deck sheet. Be careful bending the brass cotter pins, I found them to be a bit challenging to get on correctly. I also used medium CA and kicker for the glass bead after I scruffed it up good with some sand paper before putting it in.

I also put in the radio tray so the next. I measured, marked, removed, glued, and replaced being careful to not make to much of a mess. I then whicked a little more epoxy onto each corner to give a little extra. It seems plenty solid yet light to me.

I now have the deck glued and drying. Now I'm off find some of the materials needed for finishing.

BK
Aug 13, 2006, 08:15 PM
Thread OP
One last update for the night. I took the tape off and put the last couple of pieces on before putting some sealer on it.

Looks pretty nice at this point I think.

I found some spray Urathan, no brushes. Yay!!

Only one little challenge left... I need a transmitter, HS-55 and a smallish Rx. I have the full size servo, switch, and battery holder already...

BK
Aug 13, 2006, 11:44 PM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Hi Bill.... your Kittiwake is looking good! I have built them using Titebond waterproof wood glue so far which meant overnight drying. So I had no idea the kit could be built this fast!

I would suggest you test spray the varnish on some scrap foam Bill just in case the spray version has some extra chemical which could dissolve the foam. Certainly the brush version of this vannish is safe because I use it.

I can't remember my prototype weight at that stage, I'll do some checking back on the proto. thread where I think I stated some weights.

I get a real kick out of seeing others build my designs

Graham
Aug 13, 2006, 11:57 PM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Hi again Bill... my second prototype at the same stage that you show yours on the scales weighed 68g or 2.4oz, so you have me beat there, well done. I wonder if your thinly spread epoxy mix is actually lighter than my Titebond.

Graham
Aug 14, 2006, 08:07 AM
Thread OP
Thanks for the comments Graham. I've only done the bottom of the hull with the sprayed on stuff so far. The top will come later after I double check on the foam.

One thing I have noticed is that the Urathan is taking a while to dry on the CA that has been kicked. It still has a tacky feel. I plan to sand and put another coat or two on it.

All in all I'm pleased with how it's turning out though.

Just got to source some radio gear and I'll have it sailing shortly.

BK
Aug 19, 2006, 09:15 PM
Thread OP

Sealing Update

Well after a week of very slow progress I've got another update.

The spray on Urathan does attack the foam so I taped it up good as in the pictures.

I put two or three coat's on of the Urathan over a couple of days. I then used clear Dupli-Color Acrylic Lacqure over that. I've been lightly sanding between each coat with 1000 git sand paper and then cleaning it with a damp paper towl. When I was happy that it was good and sealed I taped the bottom and stuck it in the tub for a couple of hours. No warped wood, and no leakage, so my little expermint, while time consuming seems to have worked.

I've now sanded and begun the process on the keel. See pictures. Hope to make some good progress tomorrow on the masts and other rigging beginnings.

BK
Aug 20, 2006, 08:54 PM
Thread OP
After getting the keel built up and ready I figured it was time to get it glued in. Also not pictured here during the process, but pictured here is the glued in mast support.

I put a piece of blue painters tape over the slot in the servo tray and then ran a beed of 15 min. epoxy into that, then placed the keel up in place and taped it as shown to hold it in place. I than placed the epoxy around the keel where it goes through the hull bottom and let it run around it creating a nice fillet on the inside. The outside you can see the glue but it's nice and even with the bottom of the hull, exactly what I was hoping for.

Enjoy,
BK
Aug 27, 2006, 04:33 PM
Mr. Electron
wow what a nice kit. Do they ship to Canada
Last edited by DeValk; Aug 28, 2006 at 01:47 PM.
Aug 28, 2006, 09:18 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValk
wow what a nice kit. Do they ship to Canada
DeValk,

Contact Graham, I'm sure that he probably does.

BK
Aug 28, 2006, 09:26 PM
Thread OP

A little more progress

Well due to work and my other hobby I'm a little slow going right now. I have got the rudder glued up now and will let it setup over night before I start sanding it and getting it ready to attach. While waiting for the glue to setup enough to remove the clamps and tape, I put the radio gear in and built the supports for the battery housing.

Enjoy the pic's,
BK
Aug 29, 2006, 12:00 AM
Simplicate and add Fun!
Hello DeValk... yes I ship to Canada, already have done and England. I'll ship anywhere in fact. Email me at info(at)scalesailing(dot)com ... replacing as normal, and I will quote a price. Unfortunately I still have a waiting list and an order of 10 yards of white sail tape turned up today and it was black! So that didn't help, but I will have inventory on the shelves once I can overtake my orders, you can get your name on the list

Bill.... you will need to turn your sail servo around to get the proper swing of the sail arm... see photo. Still looking good sir, nice job.

Graham

Quick Reply