Part II: ICARE R/C Imports Let Model ASW 28-18 3m Electrifying Scale Model - Page 2 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 08, 2006, 11:04 AM
One Idiot is plenty...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commplexxo
Dbox,

I disagree that you require more "powerful" or "heavier set-up". Firstly, the power set-up in this review is more than is required for “power/climb rate”. Secondly, this kit is really well designed and you will have problems balancing it if you’re heavier in the nose. If you go heavier, because the LiPo’s are light, you will have to place the batteries even further back in the fuselage to achieve balance at the expense of a heavier overall model weight.

Keep in mind that you want the model as light as possible to thermal.

Just my 2 cents,
Martin
Martin,You have done a VERY nice job with this plane.I literally fell in love with your ASW.And it is on my list to get.Thank you for the info about the balance.In my conversions of pure sailplanes I usually move tail servos to the tail itself or further down the fuse,dont ask me how,I just do.And never have a problems of balance after all,even more I can play with different motors and batterys to look for better or just different performance.ASW designed for thermalling ,right,my problem is that I am allways pushing envelope a little further,bored with thermalling,looking for performance.In terms of the weight,I went from the lightest weights to start and adopt the plane,to see how it flys and lands to heavier and heavier to see how it changes her behavier,it fun and education for me.
David,I tryed Lehner 4200 XL with Modelmotors 4:1 gearbox-prop is too small.
So I got Maxxon 5.2:1 for it from Japan,could not find any of 6.7:1 or 7:1
Motor is definetely HOT and just begs for it.It is little bit heavy motor,but take so much of abuse,just love it.
D...
to remove ads between posts
Sep 08, 2006, 02:06 PM
Dbox,
If your Lehner is with 16/19mm pitch of mounting holes, you may use the Kontronik's from Tower Hobby. The KPG 27-5,2:1 ones are with needle bearings. And they have a 6mm shaft which is more convenient for matching spinners.
As far as I know, there is no commercial available aftermarket gearbox with ratio higher than 5,2:1 because the small pinion needed is usually 'engrave' into the motor shaft.
David
Sep 26, 2006, 01:23 AM

Right on!

Martin--- Great work, beautiful plane and a very well done article. Thanks for sharing your thoughts. I think you have provided the spark to get me excited about 3M+ electric flight again! Thanks MJ
Oct 28, 2006, 05:17 AM

Template

Hallo Commplexxo!

Do you happen to have a template for the firewall, or at least a photo from straight on?

I've decided to go the same route as you with my ASW 28, only with sligthly different components - hyperion Z3013/16 motor, jeti spin regulator (with internal switching bec, can drive 8 servos) and flightpower 20/30C 3S 2150 battery. I'm hoping of an auw of around 1550 grams.

Anyway, is there a template available?
Oct 28, 2006, 12:46 PM

Template for firewall?

Sorry,

I do not have a template for a firewall; however, I'll try to summarize how I suggest you do it.

(1) Take a note of your spinner diameter. Ensure that as you are "sanding" away the nose of the ASW - that the transition from the fuselage and the spinner is smooth - so the spinner does not look funny. (See Picture 1) Do not over sand or under sand the fuselage. If you under sand you still can fix it. If you over sand then you’re out of luck.

(2) Prepare a circuit board that you are ready to cut - if you have any lead soldered on the board pick it away with a sharp knife

(3) Take the fuselage of the ASW and place the circuit board flat against the sanded nose portion. Trace the circuit board with a pen around the fuselage that you’re holding. Once you're done you should have a slightly larger "shape" of the fuselage ASW 28 traced on the circuit board.

(4) Here comes the tricky part. Cut the circuit board in a form of the shape you traced on the board perfectly precise. Make a hole in the circuit board for the shaft of the motor - do not make the holes to attach the motor just yet – the hole for the shaft may be a little oversized. You may have to shift the position of the motor once you figure out how everything fits taking motor, firewall and spinner assembly into account.

(5) Insert the circuit board (firewall) and the motor from the inside of the fuselage and attach the spinner assembly. (The following all depends on the length of the shaft) Keep sanding away - evenly from the firewall (circuit board) (the outer "shape you cut out" until you get the spinner to fit and about 1-2 mm of space between the fuselage and the spinner back plate.

For the motor used in this review there was very little sanding involved - the shaft was quite lengthy; however, for the motor you plan to use it may be a bit different story.

Good Luck,
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by authomassen
Hallo Commplexxo!

Do you happen to have a template for the firewall, or at least a photo from straight on?

I've decided to go the same route as you with my ASW 28, only with sligthly different components - hyperion Z3013/16 motor, jeti spin regulator (with internal switching bec, can drive 8 servos) and flightpower 20/30C 3S 2150 battery. I'm hoping of an auw of around 1550 grams.

Anyway, is there a template available?
Nov 23, 2006, 05:08 PM
After reading this I think I might have to call Icare.
Love Scale Sailplanes and this makes it easy to get in the air.
Dec 01, 2006, 04:23 PM
I have had several ASW 28 fuselages now and inform that LET have delivered one fuselage with the firewall already installed and one with the complete motor, propeller and spinner already installed - what a beautiful glider it is...
Dec 03, 2006, 04:13 PM
Mine is getting close to finished now. I am very happy with how i turned out, I can fit the scale cockpit with all the gear in the plane, but will fly it without to save some weight. The auw on mine seems to end up at 1610 grams, the saved weight over the rewied plane is in the lighter 2150 20C pack and the jeti spin regulator with internal bec capable of running 7 servos.

I'm happy with how the fuse and spinner fit together, thank you for the help Commplexxo! I could not find any print board, and instead laminated some ply and fibreglass for the firewall.
Dec 03, 2007, 10:50 AM
Dave
I just cut the nose off my ASW-28 and have to sand about 1/6" more. Should I make the (vertical) thrust angle PARALLEL to the main wings or to the centerline of the fuse?

Also, I noticed that with the nose open, the resulting hole in the fuse is soft and flexible which means that I can make a perfectly round firewall to force shape the opening round to match the spinner. Naturally, the nose is very slightly oval and will easily assume the circular shape of the round firewall.
Last edited by CygnusX1; Dec 03, 2007 at 11:56 AM.
Dec 04, 2007, 09:56 PM
In terms of “compensation angle” for torque, I decided to keep the angle perfectly perpendicular with respect to the horizontal and vertical axis”… In this case the angles were kept perpendicular to the natural contours of the “front shape” of the fuselage. If one takes the entire fuselage into perspective the overall appearance of the mounted motor will look slightly off - pointing upwards (you do not want this). Focusing on the contours of the “front shape” of the fuselage will make the transitioning contours look more natural.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=715836

Good Luck,
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CygnusX1
I just cut the nose off my ASW-28 and have to sand about 1/6" more. Should I make the (vertical) thrust angle PARALLEL to the main wings or to the centerline of the fuse?

Also, I noticed that with the nose open, the resulting hole in the fuse is soft and flexible which means that I can make a perfectly round firewall to force shape the opening round to match the spinner. Naturally, the nose is very slightly oval and will easily assume the circular shape of the round firewall.
Dec 04, 2007, 10:46 PM
Dave
Soaking in all the advice, here is what I came up with. I still need to sand it a little more.

Sep 10, 2017, 03:48 AM
hello guys i have a new asw 28 from let model

iam now setting up the radio
can some one give me some start point for the flaperon settings

how many mm move the aileron down and up

thanks marco