Aug 11, 2006, 02:22 PM
Electric Helis is my game
Thread OP
Discussion

CC HV 85 - Fixed Heli mode, PCM lockout?

Hi,

I think I need to sacrifice a chicken to the heli gods after tonights flying.

I changed my E-Raptor to Fixed Heli Throttle mode, setup a 100-80-100 V curve and went out flying.

Did a 200+ft tailslide and got a lockout when I tried to flip out of it!
Managed to get control back and had probably 2-3 inches left to the ground!
The pro's would have been proud

Anyway, Got 2 more glitches while getting back to land, and I NEVER had a lockout on this machine before.

After landing I did a range check (didnt do one before I started though) and I got maybe 20 feet away until the failsafe went in.

So either antenna is bad (dont look bad though) or fixed heli mode introduced something.

Anyone seen this before with fixed mode on the CC HV 85's

- Fredrik
to remove ads between posts
Aug 11, 2006, 03:18 PM
Using any kind of BEC? I had a simillar thing happen to me, using digital BEC.
Thats why I am running a flightbattery on all my larger e-helis now. More weight yes, but also problem free.
Aug 11, 2006, 03:25 PM
Thread OP
Found the problem, Was not the antenna nor the flight mode.
A ferrite ring on the throttle lead fixed it.

Why o why CastleCreations do you not ship it with the ferrite ring already in place, as Kontronik does on there Jazz.
Aug 11, 2006, 04:36 PM
A man with too many toys
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMel
Found the problem, Was not the antenna nor the flight mode.
A ferrite ring on the throttle lead fixed it.

Why o why CastleCreations do you not ship it with the ferrite ring already in place, as Kontronik does on there Jazz.
Thatís a very good suggestion. You should send CC e-mail suggesting that. Also post on the CC forum.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=168

I always put a ferrite ring on the throttle lead (all ESCís) just for insurance.

RC
Aug 11, 2006, 04:40 PM
NTM
NTM
I thought the hv controllers were opto isolated ?
Aug 11, 2006, 05:42 PM
Mel,

Is your spool up the same in fixed vs. Gov.? I have a nice spool up in gov w/ the HV85 but when I go to Fixed and switch to Idle 1 it jumps?

Sorry to be off topic.
Aug 12, 2006, 01:11 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
Ferrite rings are like .99 US so I add em if I have any problems.

If they were a required item all ESC's would have, but few do.

Big thing is the heli didn't go in

JM2C.
Aug 12, 2006, 03:14 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rerazor
Mel,

Is your spool up the same in fixed vs. Gov.? I have a nice spool up in gov w/ the HV85 but when I go to Fixed and switch to Idle 1 it jumps?

Sorry to be off topic.

No its not, I did a 460 turn when going to idle up, thinking it should be the same (stated in the manual that spoolup speed affected both)..

EDIT: I checked my settings, and I had spoolup on 9 (custom) so that can explain it, if you lower it to slow or medium I guess it would work OK.

Ive switched to Governor High @ 55% throttle now, gonna see how that compares, if its not good, I'll go back to fixed mode, then I can test around abit.
Last edited by MrMel; Aug 12, 2006 at 04:19 AM.
Aug 12, 2006, 04:17 AM
Thread OP
An short update.

There was a direct link between range and number of loops in the Ferrite ring.

If I added a loop I could go x number of meters extra far away, I ended up with 5 loops (ran out of cable), the range was now 50meters plus (tested in the backyard, didnt have more space)

I hope this was the real cause which I experienced yesterday, Wind is to blowing to much for flying atm, will try later tonight and see.

Quick Reply