Aug 09, 2006, 04:46 PM
Build Log

French Customs launch

I have decided to build the french customs launch from marine modelling international magazine as I have nothing better to do! I spent the afternoon buying balsa, marking out pieces, cutting and sticking and have the hull built. After countless times of super glueing my fingers to the boat/knife/other fingers i have a little more plating to do and I will have completed the hull. I will keep you posted on my progress, I am photographing each stage as I go along. Here are the first bunch:

==* I apologise for my possibly unorthodox building techniques, I am not a noob but not an expert! *==
Last edited by remondo; Oct 17, 2011 at 03:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 09, 2006, 04:48 PM
Quads & Planes, cant beat them
The build looks great so far.
Aug 09, 2006, 04:58 PM
For only building in one afternoon you are doing quite well so far. Keep up the good work! And keep the pictures coming

Don
Aug 09, 2006, 05:15 PM
some would say I'm rushing it, I surprised myself but I just got down to it and got it done!
Aug 09, 2006, 05:33 PM
If you have time to glue your fingers to the boat/knife/fingers/etc, then you probably are not rushing it too much. You know you're thinking too much when you glue your fingers to your temples...
- 'Doc
Aug 10, 2006, 12:25 PM
hahaha - thanks LtDoc!

Right. Made a mistake with the planking, plating, whatever you call it and put 0.8mm balsa on-it was far too weak! so i went out and got some 0.8mm Obechi and it's looking much better. One question thought, what do I use to cut the obechi, seeing as it's a hardwood my craft knife struggles?
Aug 10, 2006, 12:41 PM
Remondo you are lucky to just be able to pop out and buy some Obechi at your local hobby store. I couldn't find it here anywhere I doubt.

Don
Aug 10, 2006, 12:49 PM
i didnt even know it existed, I was looking for ply! but its still hardwood so is a perfect substitute
Aug 10, 2006, 01:20 PM
Some guys just have all the luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by remondo
i didnt even know it existed, I was looking for ply! but its still hardwood so is a perfect substitute
Aug 10, 2006, 02:56 PM
Give the dog a bone
this saw works for me...Jarmac Saw
But this is the one I'd like to take for a planking test drive Byrnes Saw

I already know...$$$$
So
#1 A hack saw with fine blade
#2 Matt Knife (full size razor knife/box cutter)
#3 Japanese back saw (very sharp DON"T SLIP)
#4 Jewelers saw...(I was never impressed)
#5 Band saw.

All kinds of ways to cut wood. Let us know what you work out. Looks good so far.
Aug 10, 2006, 05:17 PM
wow boat fox thanks - think I'll carefully use a junior hacksaw. Here is a picture of the new planking after I (gently) ripped the old balsa planking off!
Aug 10, 2006, 05:24 PM
I don't think you can do better than a Jim Byrnes table saw for modleling. It may be expensive but you get what you pay for with Jim. No one has ever said anything bad about his saw. I have been using a dremel table saw for years. I can't wait until later this year when I can get one of Jim's.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatfox
this saw works for me...Jarmac Saw
But this is the one I'd like to take for a planking test drive Byrnes Saw

I already know...$$$$
So
#1 A hack saw with fine blade
#2 Matt Knife (full size razor knife/box cutter)
#3 Japanese back saw (very sharp DON"T SLIP)
#4 Jewelers saw...(I was never impressed)
#5 Band saw.

All kinds of ways to cut wood. Let us know what you work out. Looks good so far.
Aug 11, 2006, 01:53 AM
Grumpa Tom
I have an el cheapo HF 4" table saw that looks like it must be a clone of the Jarmac Model 1002.

That Byrnes saw is sure nice!
Aug 11, 2006, 01:08 PM
QBXB
If you buy a Byrnes saw you will NEVER regret the $$$ spent.
Bruce
Aug 12, 2006, 06:25 AM
sears has i 10" band saw for $129.00 on clear out sail.