Fanfold profile TBF Avenger - RC Groups
Aug 08, 2006, 05:09 PM
Discussion

Fanfold profile TBF Avenger

This is my fourth FFF prototype scratch build, testing all the different tips I ‘ve read online.

This one was built in the profile combat style. Fanfold 3-layer fuse with crutch fit into side slots. The wing is simple 3 bend airfoil with skewer spars. Light coat airbrushed with Acrylic craft paint, paper insignias. It is still a test for all I have learned, but finally I am cutting up that stack of foam.

I started with a 3-view and enlarged to a 30” wingspan. Control is A/E/T, but since it is not completely aerobatic I think it would profit from Rudder control too.

Here are the specs as best I can describe:

Fanfold 3-layer fuse with crutch
3 bend airfoil with strip ailerons, clear tape hinges
GWS light foam wheels 2”
Landing gear ala Gene Bond’s Blu DC3
Hitec HS-81 (aileron) Hitec HS-55 (elevator)
GWS 350c ‘D’ gear (10X4.7, 11X4.7, 12X6)
9.6v 720Mah niMh
Berg Microstamp 4L reciever
FMA mini-30 ESC

She flies stable and sweet, although feels a bit heavy. I think my wing loading is at max right now. I broke all my props, but the 12x6 seemed to allow half-throttle and maintain level flight. It survived the maiden flights only breaking the bamboo tail skid. I think the next one using this same equipment may fair better at around 36” wingspan. That will be the next version with some improvments in construction technique.

I’d like to thank all who post their ideas, plans and solutions here at RC Groups. Now that I’ve finally dove in, I think I’m ready to design much more.

Here is pic or two after hacking in the equipment (made it look weathered) and about 6 first flights.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2006, 06:54 PM
Oops get the hot glue gun
That's a really nice Avenger! I like the design a lot, looks well thought out and sturdy. Unique too, I've always been a fan of the TBF & have a friend who is a crew chief on one at a WWII museum. Those things are huge up close.

Good job!

Gary D.
Aug 08, 2006, 08:45 PM
Too little play time...
Dang that's nice!

I found the gear idea you used... Nice.

Could you elaborate on the airfoil you mentioned?

I drew up a P-47 Jug from 3-Views some time ago but it kinda died on the vine.

I really like the rugged 3 layer design but I could see it would be heavy... Don't know which way I'll go yet.

How a bout a direct side on pic and maybe a belly shot?

I'd love to see a vid.

Again, great job!
Aug 08, 2006, 09:43 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
...I like how you mountd the motor. Kind of remindes me of GAS planes.
Very nice!!!
Aug 09, 2006, 05:24 AM
On patrol.
nicely done
Aug 09, 2006, 05:47 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
Jus , That's SUPER !!!! does it have the scale size surfaces .... I'm sure everyone will want the plans .... COOL !!!!
Latest blog entry: Lost plans
Aug 09, 2006, 09:46 AM
WarrEagle- The airfoil was just two bends fore and aft of the skewer spar. I found the method in an old 'foamcore' plan from Model Builder magazine. It was real easy to make the slot for it, but I'd stick with the 4/40 type airfoil from here on out.

The 3-layer could have been lightened in the center sandwich, but I didn't bother. Weight load was mostly due to using this motor/battery setup on a 30" model. It flew very stable from the first toss....errr for a while.

I must have cracked the wing root at some time. During a later flight it would violently torque if I pulled up too hard. I think wing flex caused an aileron pushrod to change the control surface. It went down hard for the last time...so no more shots of this one.

I can tell you that the side view is exactly to the 3-view. The stab is located higher than the crutch, which I thought would be weak. But it was fine, just not easy to construct (which is my goal)

GPW- Yes, the outlines are scale to the 3-view and the elevator is stock. No rudder. Ailerons are about 1 inch at the tips and full length.

As for plans, I knew I would eventually have to draw them up instead of enlarging 3-views. I've already started on a newer version designed in Illustrator. This one has some improvements and slightly altered lines. Wingspan is 37.5" and will use the same gear.

Should I post the description and pics I have so far on this thread? Or start a new one?

Thanks for the encouragement and positive feedback.

Juscuz
Aug 09, 2006, 11:15 AM

Down for good

Ok..here's the final pic after the otopsy. There was a crack in the wing root from a previous hard landing that just didn't appear until I pulled up hard on the elevator.

I'm posting this pic for those who wanted another view. You can see the wing slot, aileron shape, and underside very clearly.

I will start a new thread for the 36" version I am working on now.
Aug 10, 2006, 07:19 AM
gpw
gpw
A Simple Fix!!! some Scotch tape and Hot glue and it'll fly again ... and once you've repaired em , they always seem to fly even BETTER!!!!!
Cuz' , just keep it going ... sure would enjoy seeing your plans ...
Aug 10, 2006, 11:10 AM

She's retired

GPW- I thought about fixing this 'little crack', but decided to move foward with the larger digital design. I'd like to have a plan to offer for it.

So the equipment is already removed and being fitted into the larger version. She's retired, but going up on the wall.

For anyone quickly designing something from 3-views...

Cut out and paste only one half of the top view for wings, fuse, stab. The book images can be very un-symetrical, so use the halves and flip them over when you trace them onto foam.

You'll also save paper at Kinkos.
Jul 11, 2018, 11:04 PM
flyin' fool
A very nice profile fun scale from 12 years ago. This design/build method lends itself to lots of other different war birds.
Jul 12, 2018, 06:06 AM
gpw
gpw
So many great designs to be brought back …
Jul 12, 2018, 09:16 AM
flyin' fool
Lately there's been a bit of a lull on innovation, just re-hashing. Maybe we're running out of new ideas??
Jul 13, 2018, 05:46 AM
gpw
gpw
Gold , for a long time now we’ve been thinking all the cards have been played on the table … Everything a re-discovery of previous designs … And then there’s drones …

We’ve moved on …

Quick Reply