Aug 07, 2006, 05:42 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Air Hogs Storm Launcher

Well after much hype and a long wait I got my SL today. Now I did not get the stock batt. for it but will be using a a 7.4v 800mAh Lipo pack. As soon as the weather breaks hopefully tomorrow, I will get it out and get a stock flight report to you all. After that shes coming apart and I am putting A brushless system in it not sure what notors I will be using yet but will update this thread as I do. Tonight will be spent moding the batt compartment to accept non air hogs lipo's and removong the spring in the controller on the throttle side. Below in the pics you can see the battery compartment and the pins they use for the stock batteries.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 07, 2006, 05:46 PM
so where did you order from?
Aug 07, 2006, 06:09 PM
Thread OP
Jeff at JGRC was kind enough to let me buy one of the ones he recieved. I still have one ordered from Target and Wal-Mart, but who knows when they will arive.
Aug 07, 2006, 06:29 PM
Experienced R/C Repairman
I'm waiting for mine from JGRC also. Keep us posted on how it does.
Did you use Sharpies for the color, or paint sticks?
Aug 07, 2006, 07:06 PM
Thread OP
Well I just returned from the maiden test flight, if you can call it that and am very disapointed to say the least. With the stock power supply it will not ROG let alone ROW and to say it flies is pushing it. The only flights I was able to get were 10-15 sec hops and that was from a healthy throw. I was using 7.4v 800mAh packs, bigger than the what is stock I believe, and it seemed anemic at best. I am charging some larger cells now to see if it makes any difference at all and hope to go back out before nightfall. Another disapointment is the range I lost control at about 150yds and the SL does not have any type of fail safe as does its distant cousin the AA. Mike and Ed if you have any suggestions that may help me get it flying in its stock form I am all ears, as it stands I guess it wil just be a good platform for brushless. I will post some pics of the brief flights in a bit.
See later posts, as I found out these motors need some breaking in to reach there full potintial. After breaking the motors in the SL was a charm! Good work guys, and thanks UAV for your input.
Last edited by parkerinc; Aug 07, 2006 at 08:21 PM.
Aug 07, 2006, 07:13 PM
tic
tic
thunderscreech
Not sure but, I believe Mike and Ernest said the stock lipo pack is really a good one and not just any lipo will work.. I'm not saying you have a bad pack either.. Just something that might make a diff?
Aug 07, 2006, 07:19 PM
Foam Floats Better
If it will not hang or hover for a few seconds when held up vertical, then your battery is not putting out enough juice.
Aug 07, 2006, 07:19 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by tic
Not sure but, I believe Mike and Ernest said the stock lipo pack is really a good one and not just any lipo will work.. I'm not saying you have a bad pack either.. Just something that might make a diff?
Thats why I am stepping up to a 1020 pack and getting ready to go back out it seems like it will be better just in the little blurps I gave in the garage.
Aug 07, 2006, 07:21 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVPilot
If it will not hang or hover for a few seconds when held up vertical, then your battery is not putting out enough juice.
Thanks UAV, I hope you do not htink I am trying to knok your SL just trying to get the flights and results you were getting in your videos. The 800mAh pack I used will handle 18A is that not enough? What would you suggest
as a pack until the stock packs come out?
Aug 07, 2006, 07:30 PM
Foam Floats Better
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkerinc
Thanks UAV, I hope you do not htink I am trying to knok your SL just trying to get the flights and results you were getting in your videos. The 800mAh pack I used will handle 18A is that not enough? What would you suggest
as a pack until the stock packs come out?
18 amps should be more than enough, But how much does that battery weigh?

They are suppose to be breaking in the motors before they ship, and I know that this makes a big difference in the performance. Try running a pack through it at less than half throttle and see if it improves.

My favorite pack is still ,
Dualsky 620 mAh 7.4V Lithium Polymer 15C/20C Battery : $18.99

It's very light, 30 grams , cheap , and puts out some power.
Aug 07, 2006, 07:32 PM
Foam Floats Better
The last one I received had more power than any I have received so far, so I am kinda surprised. Mine was box stock with stock AH battery, and would go vertical on takeoff.
Aug 07, 2006, 07:32 PM
I break cameras
I am afraid the SL is really an under powered toy based on a great concept. Hope I am wrong. It kills me to hear people talking about brushless for this, shouldn't it fly as quoted right out of the box?? If not get something like the Robbe Gemini that can really fly and roll?
Aug 07, 2006, 07:35 PM
Foam Floats Better
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweatyfingers
I am afraid the SL is really an under powered toy based on a great concept. Hope I am wrong. It kills me to hear people talking about brushless for this, shouldn't it fly as quoted right out of the box?? If not get something like the Robbe Gemini that can really fly and roll?
Like I said, it should have enough power to hang on the props for a few seconds, or more. It should have more than enough power as is, but of course, brushless is always better.
Aug 07, 2006, 07:45 PM
Thread OP
UAV Breaking in the motors does to seem to be the key. I ahve now ran two packs on it and with the third it will hold a hover for a few seconds. Flight now is much better, the last flight was about 2 min before it lost altitude, when it is in the air it very responsive and flies well, seems to be a great platform. Still no ROG I will start playing with diff. packs to see what ends up being the best. I can definetly see that if I can just get the powewr to the blades this will be what everyone was hoping for and more. Also have you flown the SL with the Dualsky LiPo you mentioned?

Quick Reply