Aug 05, 2006, 07:05 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

DLG launch for non-DLG Fling

Before the days of the DLG Fling I remember some guys modding the regular Fling for DLG use. Anyone have some tips/pics? Never done the DLG thing before

Kristopher
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2006, 07:34 PM
First tip: Get a QFII, DL50, or Gambler. They are proven planes.

Second tip: Donít even consider the FLING-DLG. I have one that has been un-built on the shelf for more that a year because it is not worth the effort and I canít bring myself to unload it on some unsuspecting fool.

John
Aug 05, 2006, 08:36 PM
First off. John is right. With a proven plane designed for dlg, you will get much higher launches without fear of the glider breaking apart on launch.

If you already have a Fling hlg you can probably get away with some easy discus or sidearm launches. There's a long Fling HLG thread in the archives. Some people have grabbed the wingtip at the spar and lightly thrown the fling. We are not talking about 100 foot launches. Aim for 40 or 50 feet. Any more and you could be picking up the pieces. The vertical tail on this glider is just barely adequate for hlg flight. A lot of owners have lengthened the rudder to increase it's effectiveness. Even with this mod you will need a rudder preset when you launch. This means if you are throwing with your right hand, you have to hold right rudder during the launch.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ight=fling+hlg

Here's a start.
Post #102 talks about installing a peg. Doesn't really give enough info to locate where he drilled the hole.
Post 176-179
Post 400
Post 449
Post 531, 532
Last edited by John Gallagher; Aug 05, 2006 at 08:43 PM.
Aug 07, 2006, 09:57 AM
db1
db1
don betz
Here is a fine example of a new Fling tail for DLG.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5085243&postcount=313

My version was not nearly as nice looking but it was quite effective. I have many Zlog documented launches over 100'

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5086321&postcount=314

I flew it that way for months and many hundreds of launches, maybe thousands, I don't know. I finally blew it up when MY wing mounting system failed. I could easily get 55 to 65 second flights in the post-sunset calm.

Without re-doing the tail it is true, you won't get over 50' and even then you will eventually blow up your tail, that is how I came to the point of putting a cruciform tail on mine.

I miss that plane but I sure am liking the XP-4 that I replaced it with! Now I am going to try an Arrow Pro.

db
Aug 07, 2006, 10:27 AM
Hi db1,
Is that the stock boom? The link you gave shows a longer than stock boom, which should help a lot.
How high were your launches with the + tail?
Aug 07, 2006, 11:02 AM
db1
db1
don betz
Hey John

I used the stock boom and moved the h-stab forward and the v-stab back some. if you look closely you can see where my boom goes to half round, that is where the h-stab used to mount. (*edit: I just noticed that you CAN'T tell where the boom goes to half round in those pictures)

I agree a longer boom would make it launch even better. I and others around me were always amazed by how well mine launched and flew. I apparently just lucked onto some good dimensions as I used the TLAR design method.

On the other one that I linked to, the guy did extend the boom. It didn't look like an ideal solution to me at first but he said it worked well. It seemed to me like the additional rod he used would have been too flexible. I guess not. His sure looks nice!

db
Last edited by db1; Aug 07, 2006 at 11:11 AM.
Aug 07, 2006, 12:05 PM
John It looks like you used springs to tension your pull pull. Does that method work well?

Quick Reply