Aug 10, 2006, 08:35 PM
Umi, the ones I got are 4mm x 8mm inside dimension and 7.6mm x 12.4mm outside. I have two packs I will bring down for you Saturday. Jerry J
to remove ads between posts
Aug 10, 2006, 09:02 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerryj98501
Umi, the ones I got are 4mm x 8mm inside dimension and 7.6mm x 12.4mm outside. I have two packs I will bring down for you Saturday. Jerry J
I was thinking those were going to be too big, but they sound just about right. Thanks Jerry.

And Here I was working on building some up....
Aug 11, 2006, 11:58 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Hmm, what did I get done yestereday?

Oh yeah, I was working on railings and those hawser things.
Had to make some deliveries and then worked on the running gear last night... till late.

With the current gear on the servo, I get about 270 degrees of steering.
Aug 12, 2006, 03:10 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Okay, This is as far as the SDM tug gets before it's first sea trial.
I got a good start on the top side, but there are a lot of scupper holes down the rail, so I couldn't get the stern rail done. The uptakes are both 3/4 down, there is the flue, and one more panel to mount.

But I think I can see a tug now.
Probably won't be till after 3 when the regatta is over, but I will get some pics of it in the water.
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Mar 22, 2007 at 01:00 AM.
Aug 13, 2006, 12:57 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
So Back from the Portland Regatta, Tualatin Crawfish Festival and have tallied the damages.

One fried ESC, and a slightly toasted thumb and forefinger.
The Proboat ESC was acting odd. It would run while the boat was dry, but as soon as you put it into the water it would cut out within seconds. After trying to reset it a couple times with no better success, I pulled the two ESC out of my Fire Boat. The fire boat had made two rescues earlier and everything was running fine. So out come the ESC, and I drop them into the SDM.

This should run power from the battery to a "Y" harness to each ESC and then to each motor bow and stern. using separte throttles. The ESC have both had the BEC removed and been running fine in the fireboat for the last year. So The SDM now needs a reciever battery. As soon as I plug a battery into the receiver the motors start running, as I reach to for one of the ESC to hit the reset button, I hear "craclin'..." then see smoke. The ground wires on the ESC receiver connection are heating up. I grab wires and start yanking. OUch, Hot!! I yank the receiver wires to the ESC, and one of the steering servos right off its mount, pull the receiver battery, and the main power connection.
Wow, smoke,... lots of smoooke...

Upon analysis, no one seems to be able to come up with a reason for the receiver/ESC wires to burn up. Faulty ground comes up repeatedly, but no cause. The Proboat still refuses to run for more than a few seconds.
The Pittman Motors, are drawing only 0.68 amps each, 1.96 amps stalled, and 0.98 amps when run together off of the "y" harness.

After rmanaging the maneuvering event for the afternoon, I pull the pump switch out of the Fire Boat, and drop it into the SDM. At the waters edge, I plug every thing in, and a small group gathers. Some with cameras at the ready for the next "smoke" event. The SDM goes into the water and runs. No smoke.

But the SDM tug refuses to run straight. Ben eager to see a one week build boat and SDM run suggests that I didn't recenter the drive after accidently yanking the steering servo. Bingo...!! I lift the steering gear and center the drive, it works for about a minute then is off again. Ben suggests I try tightening the servo to the mount this time.

Okay off it goes, now running with a power on/off switch for the motors.
It runs beautifully. I steer some straight courses and wide turns to get the hang of it, and just sort of stumble around the pond for a bit. After a few minutes, I bring it into the harbor and try a left side crab. A little rotation, but after a little stick jiggling I find a sweet spot and let out a little cheer.
Ben Congatulates me and says, "now crab the other direction."
I shift the stick to the opposite side of the gimbles and the SDM stops and begins crabbing the opposite direction. Ben declares that he is impressed.
(apparently he has been practicing for months with his Z drives, and this is my first half hour on the pond with mine.)

Anyway, I have some ESC issues to work out. I managed to rebuild one ESC once I got home. but the second one just shorts out when given power, and two of the FETs show signs of cracking and heat damage. I hope I can replace it, as it is one of a matched pair. ...
Actually, I just looked, and I can steal a matching ESC from the ferry boat.
The ferry will probably love a new Proboat... (if it works)
So I may end up at Foss Cup with an ON/OFF switch for power, I hope that is not the case, but I am not sure what else I can come up with before the event.
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Mar 22, 2007 at 01:01 AM.
Aug 13, 2006, 01:14 AM
Looks like fun times, great collection of new boats there! Electronic problems aren't fun - I've had two incidents - one with melted wiring that tend to be a bit frustrating!
I look forward to seeing these at the Foss Cup. Haven't got that fire monitor sorted out yet though - not enough 'holiday' hours.
Mike
Aug 14, 2006, 03:49 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
No worries about the fire monitor, it is yours to use "when" you please.

I will probably be joining you in the "underwater winch club". I have a pretty good record of winding my props up in my own mine strings in combat. However I have been pretty good at trapping other boats in them too. So things could balance in my favor.

I spent about five hours over at a friend Les's shop making some bollards. Not detailed out, but they will proved good anchor points for any lines this coming Saturday.
The two proboat ESC seem to be working now, I think they may have just wanted everything broken in before they assumed their work stations. We'll just have to give it a go and see. It seems like they were causing some electrical frequency canceling against each other. At full speed one or the other would stutter, then stop till I dropped the throttle. A full set of capacitors seems to have cleared this up.

Monday will be the last day I have time to work on it before Foss Cup. So it will be going up as is after that.
Aug 14, 2006, 01:37 PM
Looking good Umi........I Like the drives ..... At the speed you've built this Im thinkin I should have done mine the same way-------- Buying the drives looks much less painful......... Alan
Aug 14, 2006, 07:41 PM
no wings any more, just dust!
looking very nice as usual umi how many cusses and curses came out during construction of the SDM?? be honest, did it all go to plan?

I have just given My yamato a transplan and that took 7 hours, 3 burned fingers several cups of coffee and plenty of blue language, especiallyu when i managed to catch my fingers on the soldering iron!
Aug 15, 2006, 12:56 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost 2501
looking very nice as usual umi how many cusses and curses came out during construction of the SDM?? be honest, did it all go to plan?

I have just given My yamato a transplan and that took 7 hours, 3 burned fingers several cups of coffee and plenty of blue language, especiallyu when i managed to catch my fingers on the soldering iron!
I am not sure if I cussed... I will have to ask Ben...
If I did, I would think at least twice. Once upon "cracklin' " and the second when I grabbed hot wires.

I will check in when I get a chance, Off to Seattle today.
Aug 21, 2006, 10:07 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Tied up to a barge sideways indeed...

Thanks for that picture Roger.

On the way up to Seattle, I stopped off at jerryj98501's place and got a grand tour of a very nice shop. He had a couple of spare gears I may be able to use, and some extra dental drill heads he was willing to part with.

With a little time to spare last night, I turned the neck/bearing piece down to fit inside a 1/4" brass tube, silver soldered that in place, and then telescoped a bearing tube over it, and silver soldered a retaining ring onto the shaft.

It looks very promising,
Not even close to the engineering marvel of Algie's drive set up, But might suffice very well for a small 1/96 scale drive on the baby SDM.

Thanks for parting with these Jerry.
Aug 22, 2006, 03:09 AM
Umi ...... Must say Im impressed with the drives from dentists handsets..that looks Smokin....... And thanks for using mine as an example This Azidrive subject is getting quite interesting there must be many other ideas out there. Look forward to seeing the outcome of your project....... Alan
Aug 22, 2006, 03:10 AM
ooops????
Aug 22, 2006, 08:17 AM
Dragon Slayer
Umi:
looks good,
When you put the new 400 motors in the bigger boat you'll have motors for the little one, they might stick out the top but it should work.
Last edited by ropanach; Aug 22, 2006 at 03:18 PM.
Aug 22, 2006, 01:15 PM
Submarines, etc.
umi

what motor(s) do you plan to use in the mini-sdm?

in fact, what are the dimensions of the midget, and what kind of radio, esc, servos, batts, motor(s), etc do you plan on using....

Tim

Quick Reply