Aug 07, 2006, 09:28 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Umi,

Make another hull, cover them with some fake fur and they would look like those big fuzzy slippers.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 08, 2006, 11:54 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
If I had two 1/48, I could probably wear them, and walk on the water.

Roponach,
Yeah this is a break, I just finished three months on that architectural model, and during that time sold some stuff that raised the balance in my pay pal account. Since that is mad money, I picked up some small Graupner 1761 schottel drives out of Germany.
Apparently Harbor Models has "a lot" of these smaller drives, but they are not listed on his web site.

This month I have two regattas(one memorial), one combat event, Three rooms to paint and a fence to rebuild... do I have time for this he asks....

Yesterday
Got the interior sanded, and the drive mounts installed and drilled out.
The keels mounted, and a custom stand knocked. And the railings mocked up in cardboard.
I have to decide what color to paint it...
I like the "Wagenborg" paint schemes, and the color of the Spanish SDM
Aug 08, 2006, 02:49 PM
Give the dog a bone
Coming along fast. Everybody start folding up small pieces of rubber for all the fendering Umi needs. Are you going to make a small piece and cast the fendering...or just be cruel to yourself and start lacing some up?
Aug 08, 2006, 02:53 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatfox
Coming along fast. Everybody start folding up small pieces of rubber for all the fendering Umi needs. Are you going to make a small piece and cast the fendering...or just be cruel to yourself and start lacing some up?

Even if I cast it, I would have to come up with a "master" first.
Interesting proposal though.

Any suggestions?
I have heard cut bicycle tube? or tire? works as it has the corded layer.
Aug 08, 2006, 04:12 PM
Dragon Slayer
If you know of a dive shop, an old wet suit works great, cut stack stitch together.

And I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has to put boats aside to work on home projects.
Aug 08, 2006, 07:30 PM
Umi,

McMaster-Carr sells rubber sheets with two layers of cloth, and it can easily be cut with an Xacto knife here is the part number:

8698K71
Fabric-Reinforced Neoprene Rubber 1/16" Thick, 12" X 12", 70A Durometer
In stock at $3.76 Each

Mike
Aug 08, 2006, 10:25 PM
Grumpa Tom
This is a pretty cool scratch build.
Aug 08, 2006, 10:54 PM
If you are in a hurry, you can get some medium density foam rubber, black and set a stop on your bandsaw and cut small kerfs about 2/3 the way through. The attached pic shows one on my Tioga tug that has been on for about four years (the lower has had quite a bit of wear and should be replaced). Double back carpet tape is great for attaching the fenders. Another way is to go to a rental store and ask for some broken small vee belts, the older the better. They make good stand off fenders and they can be cut to represent the segments in the folded ones. Maybe a club project for this winter, make up some masters and cast them in rubber. Jerry J
Last edited by jerryj98501; Aug 09, 2006 at 12:59 AM.
Aug 09, 2006, 09:38 AM
Give the dog a bone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
Even if I cast it, I would have to come up with a "master" first.
Interesting proposal though.

Any suggestions?
I have heard cut bicycle tube? or tire? works as it has the corded layer.
I'm planning on using cycle tube on my next project. I like the idea of soft folded fendering.(until I start doing it...sounds tedious) I also bought some silicone rubber tape that is very sticky wet or dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JADESKI
Umi,
McMaster-Carr sells rubber sheets with two layers of cloth, and it can easily be cut with an Xacto knife here is the part number:
I've used this technique. The exacto knife will make your fingers sore after the first hour. I used the bandsaw with good results. Lots of black dust though. This makes a stiff fendering system without much give and so-so traction when wet.
Aug 09, 2006, 12:17 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Interesting, fendering ideas. I think I may go for some stop gap solid fendering for this week, and maybe try the bicycle tire version over time...
I will talk to everyone over the this weekend and next about options. Especially Gary with the Tiger Sun. He sure got that looking good.

Doesn't feel like I got much done yesterday. I wanted to get the bollard and uptakes started but I got distracted on window framing. I did get the railings cut. Now all the dewatering and hawser holes.
Aug 09, 2006, 05:44 PM
...Open neighbor's car door, observe sealing gaskets around door. Usually sort of 'shaped', sort of round, whatever, foam fendering material the automotive industry stole from model boat builders. Reclaim fendering. Remove finger prints from neighbor's car. Apply using CA where applicable on boat. Deny all knowledge of neighbor's car problem.
- 'Doc
Aug 10, 2006, 12:32 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
The SDM hulls and drives got a good coat of paint.
And it is official, I am not God,... on the 7th day he rested, I
on the other hand hope to install running gear.

Also get the railings detailed and the stacks and bollards started.
I picked up a very long strip of buna rubber seal. It is 1/4"+ square. I will try to get a test piece cut for bumpers.
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Mar 22, 2007 at 12:59 AM.
Aug 10, 2006, 01:45 PM
Umi - Did you get those drive units from Harbor Models? Thanks - Steve
Aug 10, 2006, 03:46 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by smart_racer
Umi - Did you get those drive units from Harbor Models? Thanks - Steve
No I ordered them from a model shop in Germany. They just happened to be on e-bay, and I happened to have some money in the account.

Harbor Models does sell them. I talked to the owner, after I got these, and he mentioned that he had "a lot" of the Graupner 1761 drives. However he was surprised when I told him that they were not advertised on his website.
If you call Harbor Models, You can probably talk to him and get a pair.

Also, I may end up making these, but does any one have any suggestions on "how to" make hawser holes? 6mm x 11mm. All the ones for sale are like 9mmX13mm inside dimensions.
Aug 10, 2006, 03:50 PM
3 Blades to the Wind
Bumper Materials...

Future Scale Look:
How about Car windshield wipers? Cut in the right fashion they could replicate a layered effect. If you got some of the multi-blade ones it could look pretty cool, and be VERY functional.

Scale Look:
You can buy just rubber sheets at most hardware stores, usually in the plumbing section. If you 'shingle' cut them and layered them they'd look almost identical to the real thing. Bike tire tubes are molded in their circular fashion, you might never get the curl out of them. You can mimick the corded look by glueing cloth between two rubber layers and then making them stack up right.

Quick Reply