Aug 03, 2006, 02:19 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Build Log

An RC SDM tug

I will probably regret that thread title when I want to find this thread later.

Everyone has their preferences I guess my building preferances seem to lead to a lack of plans, Lack of images, and serious lack of available kits.
There just aren't any.

At least not for what I always seem to get it in my head that I need to build.

With all those factors available, I start drawing, No not with a computer, that would be too easy... I pick up tracing paper an H lead, lead sharpener, straight edge, french curves and my favorite 0.25 technical pen.
All this leads to scanning, enlargement and tiled printing,... trimming and taping, and finally to,... Hmmm, Maybe I should build a smaller mock up first.

Perhaps this thread should be converting plywood and foam to RC. Day One.

SDM tug boat ship docking module rc model buld
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; May 08, 2013 at 04:14 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 03, 2006, 08:36 AM
Give the dog a bone
I guess this thing....but I don't think I see enough Depth...Hmmmm
Aug 03, 2006, 10:33 AM
Grumpa Tom
Quote:
I start drawing, No not with a computer, that would be too easy...
Says you!

I couldn't draw with a computer if I had one! Oh wait, I do! But I do not know how to draw on a computer. I wish I did. I do it the old fashioned way too. Paper and pencil and circular items for my "french curve".
Aug 03, 2006, 11:04 AM
r/c ships and workboats
Theese boats are not all that deep for their width on the hull. The twin skegs ( one for & aft) are what accounts for most of the draft. Saw the test model for the "frisbee" tugs as it was called then.
Aug 03, 2006, 11:41 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Boatfox, you are way too quick, I was hoping to get them fiberglassed before anyone figured out what it was.

The SDM only have a 16 foot draught. And most of that is the skegs and the Zdrives. I was surprised that the design of the hull is so simple.
The SDM-II had the pilot house and winch moved forward. This improved the steerage while pulling a tow.

Since the project has been identified, here is a look at the plans I drew up (I still cheated...) and the larger hull that was also done yesterday.
Aug 03, 2006, 04:18 PM
Taking care of the pond.
OH, the big boat had a babby boat.

HA HA
Aug 03, 2006, 10:17 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
First coat of epoxy resin and fiberglass done this morning, and ready for a second run.
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Oct 17, 2010 at 05:57 PM.
Aug 03, 2006, 11:54 PM
Give the dog a bone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umi_Ryuzuki
Boatfox, you are way too quick, I was hoping to get them fiberglassed before anyone figured out what it was.
Hope I didn't spoil the surprise.....It should come as a compliment that I was able to determine the vessel by your skilled foam carving.
Aug 04, 2006, 11:09 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Boatfox, Someone would have guessed. You were just sooner than later.

I managed two layers of glass and a third coat of resin yesterday.

Today I sanded the hulls and stood up the 1/96 deckhouse.
Aug 06, 2006, 01:16 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
I spent some time hunting steering gears today, the largest 32 pitch gear the local hobby shop has is 76 teeth. A bigger one will cost mucho dinero. So that is on the back burner and won't be installed till later.

A lot of sanding done today, the hulls are hopefully on their finish coat of resin.

Worked on the superstuctures a little.
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Aug 06, 2006 at 03:41 AM.
Aug 06, 2006, 04:39 AM
sensitive artsy type
Quote:
The large peices are stapled together so thay they match. I always regret that later.
An alternative would be double stick heavy duty carpet tape. What they use to stick carpet down, (I guess).
Aug 06, 2006, 10:16 AM
Umi,
For gears try here;

www.hpcgears.com

Not saying it's the cheapest place by any means (shipping mostly), but if they don't have it, or can't make it, it can't be done. Then again, 'dumpster-diving' is almost always a practical option... Hows that for extremes?
- 'Doc
Aug 06, 2006, 12:11 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
LTdoc,

I had a quick look, HPC is twice the price of SPD/SI and there, the gear I want is $48 bucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treetop
An alternative would be double stick heavy duty carpet tape. What they use to stick carpet down, (I guess).
Staples aren't the problem, When I double cut finish and sub deck like that, After I get through fiberglassing, the finish deck is too small by almost a 1/16" all the way around. The thing is, I have done that on at least three builds now...
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Aug 06, 2006 at 07:32 PM.
Aug 07, 2006, 12:23 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Thread OP
Okay, day 4.
It feels a little bogged down, I had to do one more glass coat to the small SDM hull.
But that one won't be running right away.

The large SDM hull got its final sanding yesterday, and I chipped and melted most of the foam out of the center. I then rough sanded the interior, and epoxied a piece of plywood into the bottom. This will support the motor and drive mounts and the rest of the equipment. While everything was curing I worked on the skegs and superstructure.

Who has a big single spool 1/48 winch for this thing?
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Mar 22, 2007 at 12:57 AM.
Aug 07, 2006, 05:13 PM
Dragon Slayer
she is looking good Umi, have you realy got the time for this with all your other projects? Or is this a short brake? So you can do something for your self?

Quick Reply