Aug 02, 2006, 03:46 PM
AZ Outback
Thread OP
Contest

X5J eXtreme August 19th/20th Signup

X5J eXtreme 2006 and Event dates.

Welcome, back for the third year.

Please read all rules, rule 8 is new for 2006.

X5J eXtreme Rules:

1. Any electric sailplane can enter, to fly the following rounds, three 10-minute flights. One point per second of flight time, one point deducted for each second over the 10minute-flight time. Maximum points possible 600. Round to the closest second.

2. The BIG ONE, motor run time is unlimited but subtracted from the flight time. Example, 600 flight pts - 19 motor run pts = 581 total round pts.

Rules 1 and 2 are restated below:

The pilot will select three 10 minute flying windows, any motor run during this period of time will be subtracted at a rate of a point per second. Flight time will be one point per second (in 10 minutes 600pts minus motor run time points). Flight time exceeding the window will be one point for each second subtracted from flight time. (This rule now reads closer to F3J rules from FAI)

3. Landing points to be measured from the center of the landing circle, to the closest part of the plane. For each meter from the point subtract 3 points. See attached file for table.

4. Motor handicap: brushless 95%, brushed Cobalt 75%, Ferrite 45%, and Speed400 30%. Actual motor run rounded to the closest second. Then multiplied by the motor percentage. Round this calculated value to the closest 1/10th of a second.

5. Your flight is limited, a single dawn to dusk flight day of your choosing, during a 48 hour period.

6. Any type of battery cell is legal.

7. Temperature Factor to be added to total flight score. See the attachment for the temperature table.

New Rule

8. You may restart your, motor as many times, as needed, but on the second motor start, you may not add landing points. A second way of stating this rule. If you start your motor after launch run of the motor, you will not receive any landing points.

Timers still need two stopwatches, this was easier then I thought it would be. Work out a signal with the pilot, if he is going to restart the motor. (I.e. "restarting...on...off")

This is the simplest way of scoring I have been able to come up with.

Flight time - closest second
Motor run - closest second
Calculated motor run - closest 1/10th of a second
Landing points - see table Rule #3

To compete: Please list your plane, gearbox, prop, cells and type, weight, and any other interesting facts, pictures are always welcome, to this thread.If someone else, not on the Web would like to fly with you please list him or her, on or by August 18th.

To all who enter,

The Best

Robert

The following are the dates for X5J eXtreme 2006:
Feb. 18th and 19th
March 11th and 12th
April 15th and 16th
May 27th and 28th
June 3rd and 4th
July 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th

August 19th and 20th

Sept. 16th and 17th

October 27th to the 29th Munice, Indiana, USA

First X5J World Competition 2006, events at the National field.

X5J Speed400 27th , X5J eXtreme 28th, and X5J Unlimited 29th
Last edited by Robert Burson; Aug 02, 2006 at 06:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 02, 2006, 03:53 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring

I'm in again

I think I am going to go with the Allegro Lite, esailplanes.com tuned speed 400, 4:1 gearbox, 11x8 folder, and 2S1320 lipo. I tried that combination for the first time Monday night and I think is is the best climber thus far for my Allegro (also tried DD 6x3 with 7 cell NICD and 2S1320 lipo as well as above GB with 7 cell NICD).

Plane weighs I think about 25 ounces with this gearbox/lipo combo.

Ryan
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Aug 02, 2006, 04:05 PM
turn, turn, turn.
I'm in too.
I may have my Pulsar back, if not, I'll fly the same unflaped Caleb as before.
Neu 15091D w/10 IB4200s, 16x16 prop. Weight, around 4 1/2 lbs.
Hope I can keep it up for 10 minutes at least once!
Aug 02, 2006, 04:33 PM
I'm in. I will be flying my Pulsar w/Hacker B15L, 12x7.5 prop, and a pack of 3S1P Lipolys.

Bobby
Aug 02, 2006, 05:33 PM
Hello!

I'm in again! with my home made “BLK2” Wingspan 1400 mm (modify Softik 1,4 ving) direct drive SP400, 6x3 folding prop and 3S 800 LiPo, weight 345g!!!!

/Johan
Aug 03, 2006, 05:09 AM
Can't resist! Flying my Poly Sergio again if the wind allows.

Poly Sergio 2.2meter wingspan. Rocket 400 brushed motor on a Cosmotech planetary gearbox. Either NiMh KAN1050 8sell pack or a 3S 1200mah lipo.

Cheers
Rudolf
Aug 03, 2006, 08:41 AM
Soaring Circuits
Are the different versions of the X5J (SP400 and Unlimited actually) described anywhere?

Thanks,
Randy
Aug 03, 2006, 09:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrust
Are the different versions of the X5J (SP400 and Unlimited actually) described anywhere?

Thanks,
Randy
Hey Randy,

If you read the first post in this thread, it goes over the rules for X5J eXtreme. Basically is is electric soaring, 10 minute tasks, and motor run duration counts against you. You get a handicap on your motor run if you choose to go with a speed 400 ship as opposed to say a brushless.

It is very fun and you should absolutely try it out. And since it is free, that is pretty easy to do! :-)

If you are talking about the October X5J 3 day contest Robert is running in Muncie, it will be one day speed 400 planes only, one day using the X5J Extreme rules, and one day no limit on motors and no handicaps. Or at least that is my understanding.

Ryan
Aug 03, 2006, 09:18 AM
Soaring Circuits
Yeah, it was mainly the Unlimited that was the unknown. By no handicap, I assume you just subtract your full motor run time, regardless of what motor type you're using?

Thanks,
Randy
Aug 03, 2006, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrust
Yeah, it was mainly the Unlimited that was the unknown. By no handicap, I assume you just subtract your full motor run time, regardless of what motor type you're using?

Thanks,
Randy
That is my understanding. Robert could confirm. He could also confirm how Speed 400 will work, as I guess it could make some difference if everyone only subtracts motor time * .3 versus the entire motor run time (as if the former, long motor runs would not hurt you quite as bad).

Either way, it sounds pretty fun. Also would be interested if he will run this "open launch" or man on man. MOM could be fun because then guys might be running thier motors and then when the first guy decides to pull throttle perhaps everyone follows suit kind of thing? Kind of like playing chicken.

Ryan
Aug 03, 2006, 12:29 PM
AZ Outback
Thread OP
Gooday Gentlemen,

What is in my mind does not always make it to the page, the Friday Speed 400 will not have to be handicapped since everyone will be using the same type of motor. All events will be MOM for each day. We were able to launch 5 to 6 ships on the sound of a horn at the Mini Extreme in the Spring with no problems. The evil things a winch line can do are not present in this event, tho I have seen some exceptions, due to pilot error which could occur in both an all or staggered launch.

Ryan nice job on all the questions, I may have to hire you. After I have recovered from the Nats I will update the rules.

The Best
Robert
Aug 04, 2006, 05:08 AM
I'm going to try again. I hope the weather and plane cooperate this time. I'll be flying my High Aspect 3.1E, Hacker B40/9L+4.4:1+15x10+10C GP2000 or 1950FAUP.
Let's hope for fair weather and winds.
-Eric
Aug 04, 2006, 06:41 AM

Participate

I want to participate in the F5J-extreme on the 19. and 20. aug. I will fly my STORK II Electric, brushless an 10 cells.

ESPEN
Aug 04, 2006, 10:25 AM
Robert, you're the man for running this every month. At least those of us who can't get to a contest have a way to participate. I'll play again if I'm not at work. Omega 1.5, AXI2208/34. I do have a question however. Since virtually everyone seems to make their 10 minute time, have you considered eliminating the penalty for motor type? I run about the same amps or less than a geared S400, using the same motor run time with the small outrunner. I'd need to spend more bucks getting a lower tech drive just to be competitive, or more bucks for a high amp brushless set up. Just wondering if you've mulled any changes. Thanks again for the opportunity to compete.
Mike
Aug 04, 2006, 11:52 AM
Nunz15,
Everyone should always make thier 10 min time, since you can run your motor for the whole time. It's the penaly that keeps the competitors from doing this. I understand your pain though. I put a brushless in my plane, because I have it. The motor is not giving me an advantage. I just need to practice more so the motor will be an advantage.

Bobby

Quick Reply