Aug 01, 2006, 01:15 PM
SSMA #01M9382, AMA #137824
Build Log

The INDY 400 - Model Aviation July 2006 Building Thread

Hello,

I'm the designer of the INDY 400 that was in Model Aviation magazine this month. Its a plane that I've had a ball designing, flying and talking about to other flyers.

Due to limited space in the magazine, there was not enough room to print very many of my building photos. I've been getting lots of emails from builders all across the United States asking about various details. To save time for all, I thought it made sense to post all my construction photos on RCGRoups.com. What a great website huh? This way, builders can access my photos anytime 24 hours a day.

I've very much enjoyed talking to modelers who are building the INDY 400 off of the plans they purchased through Model Aviation. Each evening, I look forward to getting online to read everyone's email. There's been a tremendous amount of interest in the INDY 400, so I'm sure MA is pleased with plans sales.

Please feel free to contact me anytime at HelloScott@aol.com if I can help you in anyway. Or, respond on this thread so that we can answer each other to the benefit of all.

BTW, it was past the Editor's deadline, so it didn't make it into the article, but the INDY 400 won 3rd Place in the Sport Monoplane Category at the Weak Signals Toledo R/C Exposition this year. I was tickled about that! There were other plans that were more stunning in construction techniques, but they told me it had "been a long time since they'd seen a cool new design that was a sport flyer and scratch built." Photos below.

Scott Black
HelloScott@aol.com
Last edited by HelloScott; Jun 02, 2009 at 10:10 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2006, 02:56 PM
Somehow, I started a new thread instead of replying to this one. So, follow this link for more photos and descriptions:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=550527
Jan 23, 2010, 08:08 AM
Lazer Works offers a laser cut short kit for the INDY 400! Follow this link and then scroll part way down the page. You will find the INDY 400:

http://www.lazer-works.com/misc.html
Jan 23, 2010, 10:20 AM
How many prototypes were made of the INDY 400 before the design became finalized?

Wm.
Jan 24, 2010, 04:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosbaylumber
How many prototypes were made of the INDY 400 before the design became finalized?

Wm.
4 total. 2 by me and 2 by long time flying buddies. We all tried different wingtip ends and how we enclosed the nose. The tail moments and wing and tail areas all stayed the same. They are dead on as near as we can tell.

Why do you ask?
Jan 24, 2010, 06:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloScott
4 total. 2 by me and 2 by long time flying buddies. We all tried different wingtip ends and how we enclosed the nose. The tail moments and wing and tail areas all stayed the same. They are dead on as near as we can tell.

Why do you ask?
I got problems with an airplane. One side says it is bad wing incidense, other side says wrong CG. Getting tired of making up yet another prototype that contains only some minor change. Each is better, but when is it too many.

Wm.

Wm.
Jan 29, 2010, 06:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosbaylumber
I got problems with an airplane. One side says it is bad wing incidense, other side says wrong CG. Getting tired of making up yet another prototype that contains only some minor change. Each is better, but when is it too many.

Wm.

Wm.
My prototypes never changed the wing incidence or the CG. I used the RCModeler Design Guide when I first designed the INDY 400. So, all of those parameters were good to go. It flew great the first time.

I've attached a photo of the first one. Pretty basic, but I wanted to be sure that everything flew well before I spent the time on cowlings and rounding and sanding. I've still got this early INDY 400 prototype. I've taken the radio out, but it flew great.

What I did with prototypes was try different wing tip styles, nose cowling, tank location, etc. The plan you are working on...what is it? Your own design or someone elses?
Last edited by HelloScott; Jan 29, 2010 at 06:10 AM.
Aug 21, 2010, 06:17 AM
If you have built an INDY 400, please post your photos and comments here! I'd love to hear from you and see your versions.

I've just heard from another person getting ready to start their Indy 400, which got me thinking it at been a while since I had visited this one.
Oct 14, 2010, 05:45 PM

plans

Can I get a set of plans from you >>>????

Quick Reply