New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Aio_1, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 03, 2010, 08:26 PM
Find More Posts by Jimmy Yucca
What power setup should I use for the index 2.2? I can't decide if I should use a higher kv motor with a 2 cell or a lower kv motor with a three cell. Also what kind of propellers do you guys use SF or DD?
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2010, 12:05 AM
Find More Posts by RayPB
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Yucca View Post
What power setup should I use for the index 2.2? I can't decide if I should use a higher kv motor with a 2 cell or a lower kv motor with a three cell. Also what kind of propellers do you guys use SF or DD?
You might want to review the Index 2 thread for ideas

I have flown the Index 2.2 and the Index 3. I use a Hacker A10-15S with a GWS 8x4.3 prop and 350mAH batteries. I am very pleased with this combination.

While I like both planes, I think the Index 3 flies better than the Index 2.2.

Ray
Old Mar 05, 2010, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the help Ray. Are you running a 2 cell or 3 cell 350 on the Index 3?
Old Mar 06, 2010, 12:58 AM
Find More Posts by RayPB
F3P and Sailplanes-Great!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Yucca View Post
Thanks for the help Ray. Are you running a 2 cell or 3 cell 350 on the Index 3?
I'm running a 2 cell. I don't think the A10-15S will handle 3 cells.

Ray
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:24 AM
Find More Posts by Aio_1
Hi Jimmy,

I'd agree with Ray. 2 cells on a motor like the Hacker A10-15s works well.
I don't think 3s has any real advantages for these planes.
2s has a few advantages I can think of:
  • more suitable motors to choose from
  • more cell options without ending up overweight (3s would have to be 250mAh or less to stay on target)
  • Typically Cheaper packs with 2 cells rather than 3
  • can use direct 2s voltage to some servos for additional speed and torque

Aidan
Old Mar 06, 2010, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by Alexandre Cruz
I am 2S fan too, even on higher cellings.

By the way, I have build my first serious F3P. It is Cirrus' inspired, a little different on wing, devices and stucture but Cirrus' inspired 142g with Rhino 360 2S.
The model uses Nano Cyclon motor prototype I bought on early 2006 in the USA, I think they changed thinks a little as my motor draws a bit more Amp than it should (2.2A average for F3P sequence) and has not the same pull as the new ones. More pictures here: http://aeromodelando.blogspot.com/search/label/F3P sorry for the text in portuguese...
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:24 PM
I was thinking of using one of these two motors on a 2 cell 360. Which one do you guys think is better for the Index 3?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...50kv_%2815g%29

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s...00kv_%2814g%29
Old Mar 06, 2010, 06:55 PM
Find More Posts by pmackenzie
I don't want to "Switch Now"
I would try this one, poor man's AXI 2203:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbyking/s..._19g_Outrunner

Pat MacKenzie
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:27 PM
Find More Posts by Alexandre Cruz
Excelent motor for the money. I use on my 3D model, good pull, draws little amps but 5g heavier than I would like it to be. Maybe this 5g (and of course other parameters) costs the difference betwen a Neu and the chinese one...
Old Mar 06, 2010, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by EnzoFalconi
Hi Jimmy,

I'd stay away from the two motors you show on your post. I tried the 2024 from the same series and it wasn't as powerful as the specs lead me to believe. It was adequate for the Osiris/Deluxe V3 hybrid I had it on, but it was only a couple of grams lighter than a stock 2204-14T and had far less power. You also have to make some thin rings to go into the GWS prop hubs to make them fit properly. The 2204-14T is a great motor for the price and will take your Index vertical with ease. It really is a poor mans Axi 2203 as the previous post said. My 2204's have taken some big hits from vertical crashes and so far have not been damaged. You can save a couple grams by lightening the motor face and replacing the steel shaft with carbon tube. You only save about 2 grams. This photo is of one I modified in my cnc mill, but you could do a similar job with careful use of a Dremel. You can find many motors lighter than the Turnigy 2204-14T, but they'll typically cost 3 - 6 times as much. I like my more expensive, lighter weight and better quality motors, but I rarely risk them in models where I'll be learning new maneuvers. I'd much rather take a chance of crashing a $10 usd motor than a $60 usd one. I build copies of my F3P kits to practice with before I fly the models from kits. It makes my kit models last a lot longer.

Michael
Old Mar 06, 2010, 09:31 PM
Find More Posts by mat subway
hi i'm kinda new to posting but have been lurking around the forum so I am wondering if anybody has built the snoopylution and how you did it cause the calypso has tabs and I don't know if it is a must for bracing or not to be interlocking or just glued on the surface
Last edited by mat subway; Mar 07, 2010 at 09:08 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2010, 11:57 PM
Find More Posts by dylantorquerol
Love the sport, not the plane
Here is my micro version of the 6th Version 4. 14" span with AR6400L and 2 aileron servos as well as APO5 brushless motor and Thunder Bird 6 with 2s 240mah 20C batt. 50g AUW.
Old Mar 13, 2010, 06:00 AM
Find More Posts by TamiyaCowboy
here's my first ever F3P foamie build.

morback micro:

fuse length: 17 inch
wing span :16.5 inch
airframe weight: 20 grams

i sued the morback 32 inch plan and resized via printer. cut and made from 4mm foamboard, still midway into build.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:35 AM
Find More Posts by dylantorquerol
Love the sport, not the plane
Great! I am going to do the 4-D mid engine version of the morback once I am done with my bipe. I started a thread for doing a micro variable pitch prop. Are you going to use an AR6400? What gear?
Old Mar 15, 2010, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by TamiyaCowboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylantorquerol View Post
Great! I am going to do the 4-D mid engine version of the morback once I am done with my bipe. I started a thread for doing a micro variable pitch prop. Are you going to use an AR6400? What gear?
i dont know to be very honest. i built plane thinking old AeroAce parts will work but coming in at 22.0 grams and thrust from motors at 10.6 gram, i can see the morback just gliding and not flying.

i looked on internet and noticed a picooz 6mm motor running stock gearing and main rotor @3.7v will produce 14+ gram thrust.

at this time i am looking to maybe koyosho/ITC/PZ power systems. whatever comes my way cheapest.