Aug 07, 2006, 12:09 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith S
That is a neat little boat! Looks alot like a Leal Kanstein fiish.
LOL...it should. It's his boat.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 19, 2006, 12:58 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
OK..Back from vacation..Had lots of fun.
Now how did all this start??? Well here is how it goes.
The mold, equipment and set up.
Aug 19, 2006, 01:04 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
Now that the mold is ready lets lay up a hull. 2 layers of surfacing veil, foloowed by 2 layers of 3 oz. cloth. I usually run another layer of cloth strip around the bow, stern and sides. I layed the keel towards the stern very thin on this one, because it is going to be modified a little. Here is a finished hull fresh from the mold. The mottled appearance is from thickeners added to the resin for filling the detail areas before lay up.
Aug 19, 2006, 01:11 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
Time to modify. This hull was requested to have a cut away bottom for a nozzle drive. Off comes the bottom. A little thinning for lay up. Now for the magic.....

Yes a cardboard tube of proper size and a cut up ziploc bag. Stretched tight the bag gives a very nice finish. I will have a little fairing to do, but the overall will be clean. 2 layers of veil and 2-3 layers of cloth and we are back to a sound hull. I finished the interior of the entire hull with veil as it gives a much nicer appearance (at least to me). A little sanding and it is almost ready.
Aug 19, 2006, 01:18 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
Tada....The new hull#5 lives again. Comparision to hull#4. Black is nice, but the dust gets on everything.
Lessons learned from hull4 go to make hull5 better. Smoother overall, and the under body looks like it was meant to be. Maybe this will be a new class to challenge the Springer class tugs.
Aug 19, 2006, 01:27 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
Now those with good eye sight and large monitors will notice that some cloth was exposed during the fairing process. That is one layer of quite a few and the areas are still very strong...Probably to thick, but hey, you never know when some other tug might bump you. A final coat of epoxy to seal up all the little areas of cloth and give a nice even finish. Minor sanding and spot putty and it will be ready for some paint. Yes I tested for leaks and there were none. I didn't sand that much away. The side shot shows that the owner can cut away as much freeboard as he chooses. Or just sand the lines off and go smooth. (see hull 3 "VENUS" for example)
Sep 05, 2006, 08:39 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
Onward....After a minor delay due to a rush order of hull 5, things are back to normal at the boat yard. Forward ESC shelf and battery tray are ready for install.
Sep 05, 2006, 08:42 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
The running gear has been tested, run in, polished (hey why not) and is ready for final install. The rubber band is just there while a small dab of glue dries the cover on the Vantec ESC.
Sep 05, 2006, 08:49 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
TADA...something in the hull. Pardon the blobs of epoxy...I think I got carried away..and you can't really remove it when you see how much you stuffed in. The batteries can come out..but will most likely live in the hull. Boat will run on 12 volts. Motor set for about 1-2 amps. Most of the gear should be able to be serviced pretty easy....but you always say that until the deck gets glued down. Just need to finalize the RX and volt regulator and I can run some trials on her.
Sep 05, 2006, 08:57 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
Did someone say PAINT??? The bottom was primed and coated. The hull will be black...topsides as of yet to be determined. Also now that the servo and kort linkage is together I can show the travel on that. Lots of swing back there.
Sep 05, 2006, 09:00 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
Just found this.....She is making an effort to learn how these silly boats work. Maybe the next regatta will find her compeating against me. Maybe I'll have crew for the tandem salvage?? Either way I'm feeling lucky to have her.
Sep 05, 2006, 09:24 PM
Grumpa Tom
What a lucky guy is right! Pretty cool that your wife actually wants to learn about these things and participate.
Sep 05, 2006, 09:40 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
What a lucky guy is right! Pretty cool that your wife actually wants to learn about these things and participate.
I wonder if I can ever get her to start building??? Now that would be a fantasy.
Sep 05, 2006, 10:01 PM
Mostly harmless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatfox
... Either way I'm feeling lucky to have her.
You sure are
Sep 06, 2006, 01:51 AM
Taking care of the pond.
BoatFox,
Does she have a sister?

Don M.

Quick Reply