Aug 05, 2006, 11:38 AM
On some of my boats I use rubber gaskets made by slitting some neoprene tubing and pushing it around the edges of the opening and matching it on the hatch cover. I used black neoprene lawnmower fuel tubing from the hardware store, pennies a foot. Then a little bit of petroleum jelly goes between. You can also use silicone caulk in a bead around the hatchway, and in all the deck joints after gluing. Whatever you want to use, be sure it doesn't have any plastic solvent in it.

On another type of large hatch I made, it can be dogged down with a nylon screw that goes thru the center, the seal around the perimeter is good and tight without any greasy goop. The hatch uses a 3-inch long captive screw that goes thru a wooden crossmember (actually a piece of old yardstick) that's a little longer than the hatch is wide in one dimension. You can slip this in and out of the hatch hole easily as it rotates freely, like an airplane prop, when the screw is loosened. The act of tightening the screw snugs this crosspiece against the underside of the deck and pulls the hatch and deck together into a watertight embrace. You can just glue in the crosspiece permanently to the underside of the deck of course, but I like that mine stays with the hatch, because it makes it easier to grub around in the hull when it's removed.

For something that looks cleaner, you could fasten smaller hatches with very strong neodymium magnets for an invisible lock that needs a special little spatula-like tool to break the seal.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2006, 03:20 PM
i say, Yippee
Thread OP
I was out again (before a wedding, getting all the water time i can) and took some shots. I did seal up the hatches with some electrical tape, worked well as a downwind run put my nose in the water for a spell. My 3.5 year old took the pictures. These are the good ones not of the ants on the nearby rocks.
Aug 05, 2006, 03:53 PM
Looks very nice and scale-like in the water. I am by no means an expert on sail trim, but it looks to me like your jib is so taut it can't make any kind of curve at all. If it was me, I'd loosen the back end and move it a little forward up the jib club to see if it made a difference. The mainsail shape is also looking like it's a little tight. In my Fairwind, the battery pack is loose and can be moved fore and aft to change how high the bow wants to ride. If you move some weight to the rear, perhaps your bow won't submarine as much... but this will also affect all your other trim and mast position, etc. If you have OCD, you will be in heaven tuning a sailboat, as there are dozens of combinations of settings for every little factor that must constantly be tweaked for changing conditions, and they all interact so you change one, you have to re-set others.

FUN!!! :-)
Aug 06, 2006, 09:43 PM
i say, Yippee
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aten W Arthog
I'd loosen the back end and move it a little forward up the jib club to see if it made a difference. The mainsail shape is also looking like it's a little tight.
I have no idea how to do that? I'll have to read up on the terminlogy tonight.

Quote:
If you have OCD, you will be in heaven tuning a sailboat, as there are dozens of combinations of settings for every little factor that must constantly be tweaked for changing conditions, and they all interact so you change one, you have to re-set others.
Whats' OCD?
Aug 06, 2006, 11:06 PM
OCD=obsessive-compulsive disorder. You know; gotta check the stove is off ten times before you feel safe to leave the house, that kind of thing. It was a joke, because a compulsive person could spend forever tweaking the interactive elements of a sailboat rig and never get around to getting the boat in the water:-)

When or if you move up to much larger/pricier RC sailboats, you'll find almost everyone uses custom-made sails with a built-in airfoil curve in their structure, but for boats the size of yours and smaller, or just for people who are not diehard racers, the model's sails are simple flat sheets that are easier to afford and work okay for the most part.

But the trick to getting your boat to go faster with the sails you have now is to adjust them so they can take on a classic curvature like an airplane with an undercambered wing. That jib in front, for example; it's job is to help guide the wind over the mainsail, and with it taught and perfectly flat all across, you're losing some of that boost and adding drag instead of directing it to the mainsail. Do a google image search for "parts of sails". Keep the picture handy.

Now, what I was suggesting was the "leech" end of your jib, the flapping rear part - was pulled too tightly toward the back of the boat, flattening the jib. It looks to be like your jib has a jib "club", that is, a little club-shaped boom along the bottom to which the sail is attached, like the boom for the main sail. Some boats have one, others don't. The rope that controls letting the Jib swing in and out with the wind (technically called a 'sheet', not a rope), is usually attached to the jib club. Otherwise, it attaches to a grommet at the corner of the jib itself, and we wouldn't be having this conversation because jibs set up like that form their own natural curve in the wind. Along the jib club, heading back towards the main mast, is the connection where the back corner of your jib sail attaches to the jib club. That corner of a sail is called a "clew". I was suggesting you adjust that clew end of it along the length of the club, towards the bow just a wee little bit, so the whole jib is no longer taut like a trampoline, but has a little curve or scoop-like quality to it. Doesn't take a lot. A couple millimeters would probably do it.

The mainsail, I don't feel competent to coach you on much, only to say, in that one picture, it doesn't have a classic curved form showing from top to bottm and front to back but looks kinked or bent in the middle. That's inefficient, you're losing lots of speed there. There are several gadgets on the boat you may need to adjust to fix this; the boom vang, the cunningham, the topping lift, the main mast backstay and shrouds... it can be overwhelming, all this foreign jibberish and technical stuff, until you go thru learning them one at a time and seeing the inter-related nature of their adjustments.

But it's just these sorts of details that add a pleasant sort of complexity and depth to mastering the boat. You could ignore everything I just wrote and sail it like you have forever and be happy. Like golf or chess, easy to learn the basics, takes a lifetime to master the intricasies. Same with boats; you're already having great fun. When you feel like you want to understand the boat more deeply and wring it's best performance out of it, then you'll start playing with tuning your rigging. Racing is great stimulus and training for this as well. If you can find people to race with, do so, because while you're not going to win the first few times out, you'll learn fast by doing and watching what the others do, and it becomes instinctive. They'll also give you great tips afterwards if you ask them.
Aug 07, 2006, 05:14 PM
i say, Yippee
Thread OP
OCD ok now i get it, i was looking for a deeper meaning. Doh

I was out again today and there was another out with a scratch built 1 meter. Boy is my girl small! 612mm vs 1000mm. I'm gonna have to get another boat at least the 36" class. But of couse it'll have to wait until next season, one thing at a time... I was also able to scoot around some bouy's (Chris) had tossed out. Alot more interesting sailing around objects than a free for all.

Anyways i adjusted the sails so they would some curve and i found a new level of speed. I also added a few pennies to the very back of the hull which made it sit better going downwind. It's actualy sailing better and better now, i just need a stronger sail winch as it's have trouble bringing in the sails at times.

I was looking at the CR-914 but wow the price. I'm not a big scratch builder so off to look at more boats.
Aug 07, 2006, 10:38 PM
Useful Idiot
You could do what the electric racers do: cover your hatch seams with hockey stick tape.
Aug 08, 2006, 09:23 AM
i say, Yippee
Thread OP
I actually used electrical tape as it matched the details on the hull.
Aug 09, 2006, 09:44 PM
i say, Yippee
Thread OP
Got a question, i was out again and notice the jib boom(?) flexing quite abit. I watched closer and the main boom was doing the same. Should i stiffen them up? There are both nylon plastic in the shape of a 'T' and was thicking that a lenght of carbon tube would be better.

Problem is i'm not sure it will make a difference. Will it?
Aug 10, 2006, 08:02 AM
No difference unless you're racing. I'd leave it be for now.
Sep 02, 2009, 08:07 PM
I found a place that specializes in Kyosho Model Yachts.Kyosho Marine

Register your 612 today in one of the most exciting Kyosho sailing classes.

Your sail number is forever. It can transfer from one owner to the next.

Sail registration and an AMYA Membership will allow you to compete in AMYA sanctioned Regattas.

Join the ranks of other Skippers, learn to sail faster, and race in sanctioned regattas

You will be contacted by the Class Secretary to assign you sail number. Preferred numbers may be available

Rules are posted at http://612.ModelYacht.org where you can join to become an AMYA member.
Sep 03, 2009, 11:31 AM
"Skippy" -

Correct me if I'm wrong,
if you are going to self-promote your own business (RC-101) it really belongs in the "Classified" section - no ?
May I suggest, wording to read ... "I 'have' a place that specializes in Kyosho Model Yachts"

Your link "dead-ends" = no page found.

To be fair with class promotion, the 612 Fortune class is a "Proposed" AMYA development class, meaning it has less than 20 registered owners, and anyone wanting to race "today" would do it under an "AMYA Open Class" - which to my knowledge, has never sponsored or held a sanctioned "AMYA Open Class" event. While a group of Fortune 612 boats could race together, they still are not recognized as an AMYA "Class".
Aug 31, 2010, 03:12 AM

How happy are you with your boat ?

Hi there !!
I'm planning to start in this RC sailing (I'm actually a real competition sailor) and I getting really curious about th RC's !!

I'm about to buy a Fortune and would like to know about your experience with it ? How does it sails ?

Thanks and enjoy the boat !!
Regards

Nuno

Quick Reply