Jul 31, 2006, 10:01 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
Build Log

Friends boat from scratch

Well as it happens from time to time I was asked to build a boat. Static build, nothing fancy...just go from these plans. Long story short....a cruiser designed this modified long range cruiser himself and passed away before anything happened. My friend got the original drawing sketches and thought it would be wonderful to have a model displayed in front of them. I told him I would do it, as long as there wasn't a rush, because I figured I'd do 90% of the build at work in the spare moments....
On to the build. Just my luck...the side view and top view don't match up very well at the stations, and there is some detail left to the builder. Off I go.
3/8 ply keel/stem, door skin stations, and a little pink foam to fill in at the bow.
Last edited by Boatfox; Sep 19, 2006 at 09:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 31, 2006, 10:07 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
Managed to get some light weight balsa wrapped around everything. Heck I even managed to put my thumb through it once..LOL The plan is to get most of it started then glass the hull. A little bondo and a fresh coat of white paint to finish it off. Much of that to come in the future.
I also got the decks put down. Not to much trouble when you aren't worried about equipment access.
Jul 31, 2006, 10:09 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
Deck house was started. Kind of a funny shape, and not much space between it and the big blue...but maybe this was going to be a single hander...The blue tape was for the decking. Trying to get everything centered up.
Jul 31, 2006, 10:15 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
Now the decking gets started. I tried to use CA, but was disappointed in the bond. Switched to poly and the long process of mounting two or three planks and letting it dry. I think I got up to maybe 8 planks a day. LOL like watching paint dry, but this was in odd moments I could sneek off and have fun. The forward deck house is starting to take shape. Lots of odd angles not matching up here and the plans don't have any answers.
Jul 31, 2006, 10:23 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
The decking has all been cut out of 3/4 inch black walnut flooring. I managed to sneak away with some from a demo project and this seemed like a great time to start playing with it. Main cuts I did at home on the 10" table saw, and the final sizing took place at work on my 4" Jarmac saw. Roughly 1/4" wide by 1/16th thick. I glued up a small strip of a manilla folder between the planks for a holly teak appearance. The poly glue bonded the deck beautifully. Almost to good as some extra oozed out here and there. After the planks dried I cut the excess glue and manilla off with a razor blade. Rough sanding with a 1/4 sheet sander evened up the surface and a final hand scraping with a clean razor blade gave a smooth finish. The pic shows the finish, but saddly with some dust. I'll find another pic soon.
Jul 31, 2006, 10:29 PM
Grumpa Tom
Very impressive! What kind of a boat is that used for?
Jul 31, 2006, 10:32 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
The main aft cabin has been planked and the front cabin has at least been sheeted in. Working out the details for the darn windshield. What a P.I.T.A. It need to be thin, bent and strong enough to survive some handling. The design has it with exposed free standing on the outside of the cabin, and all matching up smoothly at the cabin. I'll have to get creative in here. At this point I noticed the decking goes slightly askew...Some of the planks must not have been a full 1/4", but tapered. To late to correct it so I move on. I bet most would not have noticed it.
Total cost to date is around $30.00 for glue and basswood stringers. The balsa was from my scraps drawer, and the walnut I wanted to play with before I do a "real" boat.
Jul 31, 2006, 10:34 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot
Very impressive! What kind of a boat is that used for?
Long range cruiser. Scratch from rather iffy plans, but I'm starting to guess at the missing pieces. Typical coastal cruiser. Might have to go review a passagemakers magazine.
More as time permits at work...but the weather is nice and I have some real fabrication happening. I don't like to weld in the hot sun, so when it cools off I get to burning.
Aug 01, 2006, 06:30 AM
Beautiful job !! I'm really enjoying this thread, and the other on the "small tug"...But what, exactly, is "poly glue" ? Who makes it, and where do you buy it ?? Will it adhere to fibreglass and/or epoxy glass?

Paul.
Aug 01, 2006, 08:44 AM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
polyurethane glue..
goes by gorilla glue, pro-bond and a few others. Needs moisture to cure and has a foaming effect that fills in gaps and such. My first use on fiberglass/epoxy and I would say it has a tenacious grip. I roughed up the hull with 60-80 grit paper and glued it in. I think you would break the wood fibers before getting it off the hull.
better wear gloves, cause it sticks to skin too. Not like CA instatnt bond..more like why are my finger tips brown and dirty looking?
Home Depot, Lowes, Ace, any hardware store.
Aug 01, 2006, 09:17 AM
Thank you! One more item to put on the shopping list....!
Aug 03, 2006, 09:06 AM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
Couple more pictures...The forward deck house has been planked up. Still figuring out the darn wind screen. I don't want it to be to delicate. Also found a picture of the decking without so much dust on it. I have started the side rails now that the deck is settled out. Next week I hope to be in a position to get this back home to do the glass work on the exterior. Check out the plans. I wish they had more detail. To many what ifs.
Aug 03, 2006, 11:06 AM
r/c ships and workboats
Very nice planking job!!
Aug 03, 2006, 11:51 AM
Sea Dragon-Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by keith S
Very nice planking job!!

I was just thinking the same thing...
Aug 19, 2006, 01:50 PM
Give the dog a bone
Thread OP
Windscreen plan has been decided on. I like having a boat at work to play on in free moments, but splitting my tools between home and work is a pain.
Anyhow the lower rail has been attached and the sides of the house are started. Not entirely convinced everything is squared up, but with angled sides and tilting top and cambered decks...its as close as I can get it. The rails on the back deck will continue around the entire hull. A thin layer of balsa will be attached and shaped before I glass the exterior.

Quick Reply