Jul 28, 2006, 07:35 AM
The best in EDF since 2005
Thread OP
Discussion

Lee ME262 Mods, tips and tricks thread

I figured that many members have the Lee262 or have been looking at it and wanting one but unsure due to the reported mediocre performance. This thread will be dedicated to Mods, upgrades, tricks and tips found during build, repair, general flying etc.

Anyone with the Lee262 feel free to post your experiences, and lets try and keep the thread solely for this model
Cheers,

Mark.
Latest blog entry: Extreme RC AUSTRALIA
to remove ads between posts
Jul 28, 2006, 08:31 AM
Thread OP
Ok to start off, I am in the middle of setting up a pair of EDF55 fan units for Kevo to fit into the existing nacelles of his Lee262. He wants to keep the cost on this one down, and get reasonable performance out of it. To this end the route we are taking is as follows:

GWS EDF55 series II fan units
Mabuchi 370 brushed motors
Modified GWS heatsinks to suit brushless can design
3s1800mah LiPo pack (pack is already owned) retrofitted with balance harness

The key to this setup will be in the details, as we are not working with a super high powered brushless setup, how we assemble the fans and "blueprint" so to speak the power system is far more important if we want something with reasonable power and reliability.

Motors must be run in prior to any testing or use. To do this we take a 2-4 cell nicad or NiMH pack and plug it into the wiring loom that comes with GWS mabuchi motors (plugs into a flightpack plug perfectly) while the motors are immersed into a glass of water. This slow unloaded running beds in the brushes correctly, giving us a 100% contact situation between brush and armature. This gives us the best chance at peak performance and power with lower amp draw. Being immersed in water keeps the motor cool and washes away the brush material. Takes around 15-30 mins depending on battery size.

You can see the brushes through the ventilation ports on the can, with a bright light you will be able to see the curvature and know when they are run in.

Edited: After running in and drying, put a drop of machine oil into each bushing, then rotate the shaft by hand to let it settle into the bush, and wipe off the excess.

Next I take a pair of GWS heatsinks and machine the fins off them, I then machine a slot in one side that lines up with the ventilation slot in the motor. This allows maximum cross ventilation in the can, whilst still giving full coverage of the heatsink. Its more time consuming, but I think its worth it. (see photo).

Kevo has worked out that he can cut the centre out of the existing 262 han housing, wrap depron around the EDF55 and it will slide snugly into the hole left over. Sounds good to me, with the inlet lip on the EDF55 the instal should look very factory like.

As Kevo is upgrading his SU27 he has a spare battery pack. This is going into the 262 as it was originally chosen for dual mabuchi 370 motors. I have fitted a balance harness to it so he will be able to balance charge it using the Hyperion balancer.

For those without a spare battery pack my suggestion would be a pack around 12-1300mah 3 cell and 20c rating. I have a couple of EXTREME POWER options available, and there are numerous packs on the market that will be suitable.

It will be interesting to see what others have come up with for this plane!

Mark.
Last edited by Extreme_RC; Jul 31, 2006 at 05:24 AM. Reason: Added extra instructions
Jul 28, 2006, 10:16 PM
I don't land, I arrive

Lee ME 262 mods

Thanks heaps Mark for the trouble you are taking to set up these fans for me and for the SU27 setup. Looks a great job.

With this model I am already on my second fuselage, wing and nacelle's. The original was badly broken when a motor failed about 5 seconds after launch. This left me with one motor WOT about 6 feet off the ground. It screwed itself in nicely. After getting new motors and fixing the fus I finally got it flying. I decided to get a whole new airframe and start again as I love the looks and sound of it in the air.
It is now flying stock apart from my own esc and radio.
It flys fast enough to do circuits only and can't tolerate any wind at all so I decided to try and get a bit more power and make it a bit more fun without going to the expense of brushless. Hence the setup Mark is doing for me.

The stock motors are 185 brushed and the fans are pretty cheap looking so we figured The GWS fans with their recommended brushed 300H motors would give me quite a bit more thrust without a huge dent in my wallet.

The stock fans and motors are glued into the foam nacelle's and are impossible to remove without wrecking the nacelle so I'm going to cut the motor mount pylons from the shroud and smooth it all up with the dremel. This will leave the shroud intact inside the nacelle. The GWS55 will fit in nicely with a bit of packing (I hope). Sounds simple enough (in theory anyway).
Jul 29, 2006, 01:14 AM
Plane Crazy Hobbies
Hi Guys
I Have one of these and agree that the performance out of the box is not so good. Also the wings lack in strength so I put a main spar on it and a secondary rear spar then covered in the bottom, works great. I changed the motors to 2030 series brushless 5400kv in the original fan units. Twin 25a ESC's and 1x 2100 20-30C lipo. Performance is very good, i wonder what it would be like with good units installed.

Neil
Last edited by neil waterman; Jul 29, 2006 at 01:21 AM.
Jul 29, 2006, 01:40 AM
I don't land, I arrive
How did you remove the fan from the motor shaft to change motors?
I've still not been able to remove mine. Didn't want to use to much force as I was afraid of ripping the nacelle apart.
Jul 29, 2006, 02:04 AM
Plane Crazy Hobbies
If you look at the pods you can see where the mould joins are. I cut horizontally along the join then directly behind the plastic fan unit, basically cuting out a section to get to the motors. (Sharp Blade)You can insert a bent small blade in behind the blade and gently pull forward while holding on to the motor with plyers. The wings are not strong enough and need reinforcing , the way i did it takes time but is worth it.
Jul 29, 2006, 02:15 AM
Hi guy's

Who sells the Lee ME262?
Last edited by GuyP; Jul 29, 2006 at 02:29 AM.
Jul 29, 2006, 05:38 AM
Thread OP
One would be able to get away with 5400Kv motors looking at those rotors, being 4 blade and what appears to be less pitch than a GWS fan will keep the amps down. Have you measured the amp draw on a fresh pack?

Neil, what is the actual diameter of the motor housing, does the 2030 you are using have fins around the body to make the diameter 23.8mm? Are you using the YE2030 style motor from Yama Electrics?

I am still unsure of which brushed motors these things were fitted with, the EM150 size motors are 23.8mm diameter, the EM300 are 24.4mm diameter, close in can size but vastly different in performance.

I may have to order the parts for a complete airframe and build one of these up.

Mark.
Jul 29, 2006, 07:10 AM
Thread OP
Had a chance to run some tests tonight with the newly run in GWS 300H motors in EDF55 fans with heat sinks fitted. 30A brushed ESC was used.

1st test with 3s1800 8c / 143 gram battery
WOT gave an instant reading of 420 grams thrust, I ran the setup a couple of times for 10 seconds per run then shut it down. After a minute I started the main test.

Main test No 1:
Thrust started at 415 grams, this dropped quickly over the first 3-4 seconds to 397 grams thrust at 10.00 volts & 16.4 amps.
6 seconds later thrust was 377 grams at 9.70 volts & 15.4 amps.
After another 10 seconds voltage had dropped to 9.45v and was floating around this point fairly stable with amperage fluctuating between 14 and 15.

2nd test with 3s1200 20c / 100 gram pack

WOT gave an instant reading of 435 grams thrust, I ran the setup again a couple of times for about 10 seconds then shut it down. After a minute I started the main test.

Main test No 2:
Thrust started at 420 grams, this dropped over the first 5 seconds to 410 grams thrust at 10.55 volts & 17.4 amps
12 seconds later thrust was 406 grams at 10.5 volts and 17.1 amps.
After another 10 seconds voltage was still floating around 10.4 volts and amperage was still holding at high 16's.

Results are basically what one would expect, power will settle around 350 grams thrust after the first minute or so with a standard type of LiPo pack.
Power will hold strongly at 400+ gram thrust with a 20c pack sized to run around 15c.

This was not however a battery test as such, it was a test of low cost brushed motors, to see just what we can get from them. GWS tests show 180 grams thrust at 10.8v for this setup, when I run one motor alone I am showing almost 220 grams for slightly less volts. This says to me that running in the motors so the brushes are well seated, and lubricating the shaft bushes with a drop of oil does indeed maximise what you can get from the 300H.

A good choice of pack for this type of twin brushed setup would be the EXTREME POWER Sports series 3s1300 20c pack. At 116 grams its fairly light, and at 15c it can deliver 19.5 amps, more than what is needed in this setup which should see it maintain an even higher voltage and subsequent fan speed.

Mark.
Jul 30, 2006, 12:27 AM
I don't land, I arrive
Thanks for doing the tests Mark. The results look pretty good for the brushed motors. I guess my batteries may not be the best option but seeing as I have 2 I may as well use them. Just hope I can mount those fans now. Should be able to remove the baffle from the back of the nacelle also.

Do you want me to send you the old spare nacelle and motor I have so you can have a look at it?

Guy - I think the importer was Model Engines but they are not on their site at the moment. Check a few online stores as I seen them still advertised in a few places.
Jul 30, 2006, 12:32 AM
Fight or Flight
Hey Guy, my mate has two of these at his hobby shop at $180 each. give me a yell if your interested and i will pass on his number.
Jul 30, 2006, 04:09 AM
Closed Account
Hey guys, great thread. Pitty I cant use it, i tried flying mine three timed but way underpowerd and it stalled ot. The whole things smashed.
Aug 02, 2006, 12:23 AM
I don't land, I arrive
Mark - Received the fans and battery etc today. You did a great job. Many thanks.

Don't know when I'll get it set up as I'm banned from the workshop at the moment. Evidently I spend more time with my planes than with 'she who must be obeyed'.
I've even been accused of stroking them affectionately. Believe me, I was only cleaning them.

Once I'm allowed to set it up I'll let you know how it goes.
Aug 04, 2006, 05:18 AM
I really feel sorry for this guy.

Correct me if i'm wrong but this pisses me off.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Think he paid too much? see the RRP $499?
Aug 04, 2006, 05:44 AM
I don't land, I arrive
You are right.
What a rip off merchant.

Quick Reply