Thread Tools
Jul 27, 2006, 05:35 PM
Registered User
Andy W's Avatar
Discussion

Local mom killed on bike trail..


Just one more victim of, it appears, a previous offender let back on the street..

Google news search
Jul 28, 2006, 05:06 AM
turn, turn, turn.
That 3 strikes law has merit.
Jul 28, 2006, 07:48 AM
Registered User
Andy W's Avatar
3?

So 2 victims is OK, but 3 would be the limit?
Jul 28, 2006, 07:55 AM
Love is like Pi: Irrational
ronmeister's Avatar
Andy W, I really doubt that's what he meant.
Jul 28, 2006, 08:26 AM
Registered User
LTChip's Avatar
Violence should be one strike and you are out.

We treat drug offenders worse than rapists, child molesters, muggers, and the like. Our puritanical society seems to think drugs, gambling, and prostitution are worse than killing, maiming, or rape.

Make room in our prisons by legalizing recreational drugs, imposing fines or other such punishment on other non-violent crime (white collar crime etc.), and then lock up violent offenders for good. If you intentionally seriously harm another person, you lose your right to live in society permanently.
Jul 28, 2006, 08:30 AM
Size Matters!
RocketRob's Avatar
Hey Chip,
You got it!
Lets be sure we "reward" the corporate white collar criminals as well....non assisted suicide seems fasionably appropriate
Jul 28, 2006, 08:35 AM
If it wasn't for the foam
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTChip
Violence should be one strike and you are out.

We treat drug offenders worse than rapists, child molesters, muggers, and the like. Our puritanical society seems to think drugs, gambling, and prostitution are worse than killing, maiming, or rape.

Make room in our prisons by legalizing recreational drugs, imposing fines or other such punishment on other non-violent crime (white collar crime etc.), and then lock up violent offenders for good. If you intentionally seriously harm another person, you lose your right to live in society permanently.
I agree 100%.
Jul 28, 2006, 04:30 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Chuck's Avatar
Let's go one better. Build prisons in Mexico, hire Mexicans to run 'em, then ship all the violent criminals down there.


Chuck
Jul 28, 2006, 08:38 PM
turn, turn, turn.
Oh sure...white collar crime is ok.
Tell that to thousands who lost their nest egg to bogus stocks.

Oh yeah...one violent crime and you're out. No bar fights, no road rage, no retaliation if someone steals from you.
Give me a break.
Three strikes are few enough.
One for murder still stands...always did.
Jul 28, 2006, 11:35 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Let's go one better. Build prisons in Mexico, hire Mexicans to run 'em, then ship all the violent criminals down there.


Chuck

Chuck,

That's good old TX logic right there!!

Way too smart for the average person to buy in to.

Frank
Jul 28, 2006, 11:38 PM
Promoting Model Aviation...
Murocflyer's Avatar
Cut back on the benefits in prison. Make it hard. That will save money.

The sheriff in Maricoppa county seems like he has the right idea.

I do think we should legalize prostitution though and tax the heck out of it.
Jul 29, 2006, 01:24 AM
Registered User
LTChip's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkens4
Oh sure...white collar crime is ok.
Tell that to thousands who lost their nest egg to bogus stocks.
I was not arguing that it is ok. Just that a better punishment scheme is needed. Banning embezzlers from business, large fines, compulsory service of some kind, victim restitution, future wage garnishment, etc...would be much more appropriate than locking these folks up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkens4
Oh yeah...one violent crime and you're out. No bar fights, no road rage, no retaliation if someone steals from you.
So assault and battery is ok with you? Mutual combat is typically treated differently than assault in the law. Retaliating with violence against a non-violent criminal should not be tolerated. That an assault and battery against another is invoked by a roadway incident or a property crime does not assuage the seriousness of initiating unwarranted violence towards another. This behavior should be treated as society’s least tolerated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkens4
One for murder still stands...always did.
You are mistaken. There are plenty of murderers out on parole to make room for the latest batch of drug users, mentally ill, and other non-violent offenders.
Jul 29, 2006, 01:29 AM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
pmackenzie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck
Let's go one better. Build prisons in Mexico, hire Mexicans to run 'em, then ship all the violent criminals down there.


Chuck
And the Mexican government would want to do this because ...?
Pat MacKenzie
Jul 29, 2006, 05:38 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
And the Mexican government would want to do this because ...?
Pat MacKenzie

Because they see how successful the US is operating another prison in a Latino country. Perhaps it would lead to visits by such celebrities as Bill O'Reilly. Only if Bill isn't on his "boycott Mexico" kick.

Besides, Canada would never fall for it.
Jul 29, 2006, 05:18 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Chuck's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie
And the Mexican government would want to do this because ...?
Pat MacKenzie
Because it would put money into their economy, why else?


Chuck


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone tried a two speed on a bike?? dr.bjm Motorcycles 17 Aug 21, 2005 08:46 PM
Getting raped at local hobby shops on GWS Items akflyer GWS (Grand Wing Servo) 19 Dec 24, 2004 12:56 PM
Local Newspaper Story on my AP! CptMike Aerial Photography 45 Oct 31, 2004 10:11 AM