Aug 18, 2006, 03:04 PM
HeliAP'er!
Ahh it's great to see someone else still building in wood! That's a wonderful little plane you've built yourself there, you must be very proud of it.

I look forward to seeing more of your AP photos!

David
to remove ads between posts
Aug 18, 2006, 04:14 PM
No Guts No Glory
Thread OP

Thanks! Yes wood is still a very good choice

From time to time I just have to get my fingers on some balsa! EPP and depron are great, but wood can still hold it own. The plane is a very classical design which lends itself to be built from wood. The fus is surprisingly light and solid. Anyway more intresting pictures will follow tomorrow.
Aug 18, 2006, 09:05 PM
Flown there, crashed that.
The slight blur maybe is caused by a mixture of the Nikon's lack of shutterpriority and the side facing camera. Are the pictures crisp on the ground from the p3 without motion?
Aug 20, 2006, 05:47 AM
No Guts No Glory
Thread OP

Huttwill fly-in 2006

As I said earlier I took my new plane to the Huttwil electric fly-in. I got to fly with the some of the best pilots and builders in Switzerland.I was so nervous! It worked out well. I did not make a total fool of myself. I actually hit the runway on all 5 flights. I am especially proud of the picture of my plane in the waiting area of the runway with the Arbalète model. One of the best scale planes I know. The sun was a problem, more the lack of it. But I got some nice pictures. The blurring is less of a problem now, but if I build a new plane I will go the pusher way and have the camera looking forward. The wind was very strong but the plane flew very well. The whole event was a lot of fun and very well organised. Last but not least this area of Switzerland is among the nicest in the country. The Emmental is famous for its cheese and hills.
Last edited by kestrel2003; Aug 20, 2006 at 05:56 AM.
Aug 21, 2006, 01:51 AM
Great pictures and a very nice plane! Good Job!
Aug 21, 2006, 03:07 PM
Kestrel,
You live 10km from where I fly here
Aug 21, 2006, 03:49 PM
No Guts No Glory
Thread OP

small world!

Small world! Lets meet up. Wo genau? The picture looks swiss but I can not just yet put my finger on where that is
Aug 23, 2006, 01:45 AM
No Guts No Glory
Thread OP

Printing

So I got round to printing some pictures. The original size is just right for a A3 (297mm x 420 mm or 11.6in x 16.5 in) printout. The pictures are very sharp when printed, maybe I was over critical when zooming into the pictures on my computer. So for me this new plane was a success, especially the ease of operation and flight performance. I will now experiment some more with stabilisers (piezo gyros) and start drawing up ideas for a pusher design.
Aug 23, 2006, 02:13 PM
I'm Bonafide!
You weird Europeans with your A3 paper and metric scale
Aug 23, 2006, 05:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrel2003
Which picture is a P3 image which one the 3700? Which one is better?
I vote for Y......
Aug 24, 2006, 02:21 PM
Quote:
Wo genau?
If you take a picture 50% more to the left of you Zurcih Basin picture you might just see same land mark.

Her's a slightly better picture of what I mean.
Not edited full size
Another unrelated one
These are my first AP attempts on a TREX.
I'm not very happy with results - too blurred, blocky. Will have to improve the mount.
Yours are real nice but on my uncallibrated montor some are over saturated in green.
Aug 24, 2006, 03:18 PM
No Guts No Glory
Thread OP

Some in flight pictures

Courtesy of P. Rickli some in flight pictures made with a Nikon D200.

The green saturation looks OK on the print out. Now I will hope to catch some late sommer colours.
Aug 24, 2006, 03:25 PM
Very nice! You should be proud or your plane. Nice pictures too.
Aug 24, 2006, 10:36 PM
All posts Copyright '07
greetings from New Mexico, USA!

very nice pictures, and a great job on the plane. but what the heck is all that green stuff?
Sep 04, 2006, 06:50 AM
No Guts No Glory
Thread OP

it gets greener and greener

Well autumn will add some more colors. In the mean time the lack of bright sun is making it difficult to get good shots.The overcast is long lasting this time. the auto contrast makes the pictures look very grainy. Anyway this is a local golfclub from up.

Quick Reply