Jul 22, 2006, 04:16 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Problem with Spektrum DX6 radio & dual Aileron Servos

I know I'm not the first person to have this problem. I have Google'd it, and checked the forums here but I couldn't find *THE* answer..

Here's the problem.

1. I started with a fresh program.

2. Plugged in all of the servo's into their appropriate ports with the right aileron servo in the Aileron port, and the left aileron servo in the Aux port.

3. Powered up the RX to "center" all the servo's. Attached the connecting rods, centered & trimmed everything perfectly.

4. Went into transmitter setup and changed the wing type to Flaperon. I then reset the flaperon travel adjustment's (both of them) to ZERO.

Once I did this one of the aileron servo's shot up. They seem to be working fine except for one not being centered anymore. (Turning Flaperon OFF center's it again, but then it doesn't respond as an Aileron either).

5. Since it seemed to work ok, I went into the TX setup and adjusted the sub-trim to -150% which brought it almost all of the way back down to were it was supposed to be. I then adjusted the linkage to match the new offset and everything seems hunky dory.

I am soooo confused and frustrated at this point I want to give up and go back to a Y cable, I just figured 'this' would be the 'right' way to do it - and I'm all about doing things the right way...

Any thought, hints, tips, tricks, suggestions? Does someone have a step-by-step walkthru of how to get this to work with the DX6 radio? I've found a post by Chuhn which says:

1. Start with RX off
2. Activate Flaperon Wing Type
3. Zero out Flap travel
4. Turn on RX centering the servos and attach linkage
5. Check that both ailerons are traveling in the correct direction (mine weren't, had to reverse both aileron & flap direction)
6. Adjust the Aileron travel adjust so that the right Aileron travels the same amount up/down as the left aileron.

I finally got things looking right (ailerons move about the same distance each direction, etc). But now the question is, WHY?

Why is it so difficult to get these things setup the right way? Why couldn't I have just thrown a Y cable on there and be done with it? What's the point of going thru all of this trouble? I don't understand why the servo's (when setup centered) would be so far off when I switch to flaperon mode. I don't understand why I have to ajust the end points (Ie: I had to set the aileron to travel like 90% down and 82% up) so differently. Isn't a "centered" servo centered and should travel the same amount either direction?

ARGH!
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2006, 05:17 PM
Ascended Master
You can't use a Y-harness and have flaperons. You need independent channels for the two servos.
And then lots of "try this, try that".. to get them to work.
Jul 23, 2006, 07:48 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul
You can't use a Y-harness and have flaperons. You need independent channels for the two servos.
And then lots of "try this, try that".. to get them to work.
I understand that, I'm was more concerned with the ailerons at this point. I just figured the right way to do it was with 2 seperate channels, that way I could add the flaps in the future.
Jul 23, 2006, 07:58 AM
oeginc - one other thing you need to add (and Paul is right it is trial and error - every time!) is switching the right and left wing servos from aileron to aux and aux to aileron. This assures the servos go in the right direction and flaps go down not up.

This and servo reversing are the ticket to flaperons. Even with my high end systems (more advance software than the DX6) sometimes flaperons and the elevator mixing that goes along with them can take 20-30 minutes to set up.

The more you do it the easier it gets, but I dread it every time! Especially considering the fact that it is not worth it (flaperon) on many planes!

Mike
Sep 25, 2006, 12:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pda4you
oeginc - one other thing you need to add (and Paul is right it is trial and error - every time!) is switching the right and left wing servos from aileron to aux and aux to aileron. This assures the servos go in the right direction and flaps go down not up.

This and servo reversing are the ticket to flaperons. Even with my high end systems (more advance software than the DX6) sometimes flaperons and the elevator mixing that goes along with them can take 20-30 minutes to set up.

The more you do it the easier it gets, but I dread it every time! Especially considering the fact that it is not worth it (flaperon) on many planes!

Mike
Just a quick follow-up.. I have now set this up on several of my planes, I can do it in a matter of minutes now (literally, like 3-4) and I now prefer it compared to a Y-harness configuration because it allows me to tweak my aileron settings up/down thru the controller instead of having to undo the screw, slide the rod, tighten the screw, fly it, and start all over again if it's not right...

P.S. Does anyone have an easy way for a novice to figure out where the aileron's should be? I've seen many people build a plane and take it out to fly it and never have to make any adjustments. On my mini ultra stick I was banging my head trying to figure out why normal flight would be fine, but inverted it would dive like a rock (when everyone else was saying they can fly either way hands-off). Well, after a little playing around with it, I finally figured out my ailerons were off and in normal flight my elevator was correcting for it, but inverted all hell broke loose...

-- Rob
Oct 17, 2006, 08:17 AM
I need DX6 aileron help!

Right Aileron servo- Ch2
Left Aileron servo- Ch6
Flaperon- On
Flap Travel- 0%

Ok, thats how its set up, which is exactly what the manual says to do.
And the ailerons work fine, my problem is adjusting the travel.
Is it possible to adjust the travel of each servo independantly?
When I adjust the the AIL travel in the DX6 it adjusts ONLY the right wing (the one plugged into the Aileron channel). But I can find no way of adjusting the left wings aileron travel?
Help!?
Oct 17, 2006, 10:20 AM
Watts is where its at!
Try adjusting the travel for the flap channel to get the other wing. I know this works for sub trims.
Oct 17, 2006, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by racerxky
Try adjusting the travel for the flap channel to get the other wing. I know this works for sub trims.

You're correct it works for subtrims, but for travel the flap channel moves both ailerons in the same direction (ie you're setting the flaps/spoilers).
I found another thread that suggests it cant be done.... you simply adjust the right wings travel to be the same as the left, then use dual rates to adjust the travel. Seems silly they didn't do it properly, but I guess thats why it isn't a high-end radio!
Oct 17, 2006, 06:22 PM
O'n'A Party Rock!
Oeginc-I believe the reason you are having trouble with what you described in your first post is this; when you plug the one servo into the ch6 port, that channel is either completly disabled, or set by default for one of the other switches, probably at max throw one way or the other, such as gear up or down. Then when you go and change it to be a flaperon, suddenly it moves to the new center for flaperons, rather than all the way one way for gear, or just "dead", basically just change the order you are doing this, enable flaperons first, then plug servos in. Hope this works!

Quick Reply