Jul 20, 2006, 10:26 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Anti Vibration Engine Mount

Does anybody know if it essential to have a nose ring to support the front of the engine when using an anti vibration mount similar to the one detailed here?
Cheers
hyde engine mount
Last edited by petert; Jul 21, 2006 at 12:07 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2006, 12:56 AM
Team JR
What motor and what plane do you have?
It is fairly essential to use a nose ring IMO. Changes in thrust line. The extra beating on your airframe and servo's.
You don't have to get a hyde mount with nose ring. Just install one. It's pretty easy and they are cheap. Don't forget about the budd mount also. IMO I like it better.
www.buddengineering.com
Chris
Jul 21, 2006, 05:51 AM
Thread OP
I have a GMS 120 with pipe to go in a Arestti III. It is my first 'real' pattern plane. I don't really get what the nose ring does or what it is fixed to.
I was going to make an engine mount as detailed on the web site linked above, not get a propper hyde mount. They are about the price of what I paid for the plane.
Any help greatly appriciated.
Cheers
Jul 21, 2006, 07:59 AM
Team JR
I'm not sure how the engine is mounted in the arresti.
My current glow plane doesn't use a soft mount. Or a nose ring. It still fly's just fine. I just have to rebuild servo's often.
Chris
Jul 21, 2006, 11:03 AM
Hyde builds his soft mounts several different ways. Some require nose rings and some don't. The ones that don't need a nose ring have a heavier and thicker rubber. Ola Fremming apparently thinks his mount requires a nose ring. The safest way would be to use a nose ring with this particular mount.

The purpose of a nose ring is to stop the engine from changing its thrust line as it torques or revs up. A 2-cycle has less torque than a four. You could try running your engine in the mount without a nose ring on the bench and see if the nose moves when you rev the engine up. With or without a nose ring, the engine will vibrate visibly around the crankshaft axis at certain speeds. If the engine nose starts rotating then you will need a ring. Don't stand in front of the engine when you try this. If the nose starts rotating, it could tear the mount apart.

Allan
Last edited by AWorrest; Jul 21, 2006 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Change info
Aug 18, 2006, 06:56 AM
mikedsilva
i am using a dave brown vibra damp rail mount system in a Excelleron 90 with a Saito 1.25.
this mount allows the motor to move around a lot and i must say it is a little unnerving to watch. However i cannot find anywhere that recommends the use of a nose ring in conjunction with this mount. It does seem to reduce any vibration to the servos and receiver; i guess its like mounting the motor in a big blob of stiff jelly....

Quick Reply