Part I: ICARE R/C Imports Let Model ASW 28-18 3m Slope/Thermal Flying - Page 2 - RC Groups
Apr 09, 2014, 04:50 PM
If you launch the model perfectly every time, meaning NO crosswind, a gentle breeze, having someone who throws it perfectly straight, you may have success. Anything missing from the above means the model will tip stall and spin in and will be junk. I consider this model to be strictly for the slope, there is no way I would bungee it, maybe a winch but that is difficult.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2014, 05:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
If you launch the model perfectly every time, meaning NO crosswind, a gentle breeze, having someone who throws it perfectly straight, you may have success. Anything missing from the above means the model will tip stall and spin in and will be junk. I consider this model to be strictly for the slope, there is no way I would bungee it, maybe a winch but that is difficult.
Thanks .....Do u think adding a motor will ruin its flight characteristics?
Apr 09, 2014, 05:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commplexxo
The electric version is about 300 grams heavier - yes that is all ~ 1800 grams. In my opinion the wing is strong enough - I have about 50+ flights on the model and haven't folded the wing.

Martin
Martin.. That is about 20% more in weight!
How does that effect the flight characteristics of the glider?
Tip stalls wise and thermaling?

Thank you
Apr 09, 2014, 08:22 PM
You would need to fly faster and it will be harder to thermal but certainly possible. But of course with a prop on the nose it ain't very scale, that's why a dedicated ALES type ship will do 'MUCH better thermaling.
Apr 09, 2014, 10:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2000
You would need to fly faster and it will be harder to thermal but certainly possible. But of course with a prop on the nose it ain't very scale, that's why a dedicated ALES type ship will do 'MUCH better thermaling.
Yes no doubt .. But the elegant look of a scale glider is something else
Apr 10, 2014, 02:35 PM
I had a 3 meter ASH26 that I electrified, flying weight 2400grams. Yes you had to keep the speed up to keep it from stalling, the wing tip cord on the ASH was only 5cm, but it would thermal quite well and when flown from the slope, the extra weight was beneficial.
Apr 10, 2014, 03:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonslim
I had a 3 meter ASH26 that I electrified, flying weight 2400grams. Yes you had to keep the speed up to keep it from stalling, the wing tip cord on the ASH was only 5cm, but it would thermal quite well and when flown from the slope, the extra weight was beneficial.
Great insight.... Thank you
I think i am somewhat leaning towards adding a motor ? Maybe not all pluses but probably will get to fly it more often and as u sated better in slopes!