Jul 18, 2006, 03:57 PM
FGR Racing Team Member
Discussion

Typhoon 3D RTF Electric on FLOATS!

So Down on the lake in NC there is a little bit of time before the Jetskis and the Bass boats tear up the water for the day. So I decided that when it was quiet I would hook up the ole Typhoon to some floats so I could fly with only a couple minutes notice.

Here is the result
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2006, 05:41 PM
Living the dream
R3d, that looks great - first time I have seen it done with a Typhoon.
I put floats on my Ultrafly Outrage and have had a great deal of fun flying that.
After its been raining heavily I also keep an eye out for large puddles in parks etc as you only need about half an inch of water to take off in so it adds another dimension to flying to go "puddle jumping". Some pics of my Outrage are in my blog (together with a couple of vids of another foamy on floats) here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=525087

KiwiKid
Aug 07, 2006, 06:31 PM
If it floats/flys...Gimme
I to installed GWS floats on my Typhoon using 2 original landing gear struts. I just popped the front pair in the intended slot and where the other ones lined up with the fuselage, I cut away foam, added epoxy, set the struts in new slot and covered it with a bit more epoxy. A day later, she was ready for the water. My Parkzone Typhoon 3D flew in its stock brushless and NiCd battery setup BEAUTIFULLY from the water. Watch out though, because those large wings tip easily with a crosswind while taxiing. This truly might be the first RTF aircraft that I have seen fly so well on floats with no other modifications. Nice job with one question; it seems as if you have the aicraft sitting extremely high off the water to start with. The clearance provided by the stock landing gear struts is plenty. Id just think your setup would be more prone to tipping while taxiing...friendly suggestion.
Aug 14, 2006, 01:50 PM
We fly the fun stuff
Wow those look great. Would you guys mind telling me how long your floats are? I made my own floats out of blue foam in December. I think they were 27 inches long. The bows only stuck out about an inch infront of the propellor. When I applied full power on water the bows of the floats would go under water and the prop would hit the water. Yes I used full up elevator the whole time. I came home and made another pair and now I have 3 inches infront of the prop. Works great! I am shure my floats aern't built perfectly but they work.
Aug 16, 2006, 09:34 PM
Today I built a set of 24" floats using the plans in the "$1.97 floats" thread using posterbaord. I tested it today and they worked great withits stock setup but were a little small and sank in the back but they worked. You guys were saying that it wanted to tip over onto the wing so I spaced them out 10" (25% of the wingspan) and it didn't want to tip over at all. I would attach pictures but im not really sure how.
Aug 17, 2006, 01:09 PM
The Typhoon RTF comes with two different props. Is one prop better than the other for flying with floats?
Aug 18, 2006, 05:10 AM
Living the dream
Newkid, heres a chart showing the basics of float design and installation
Dec 30, 2006, 03:06 PM
We fly the fun stuff
Has anybody put their Typhoon on floats?

Newkid
Jan 11, 2007, 12:52 PM
Always Ready!
Quote:
Originally Posted by newkid
Wow those look great. Would you guys mind telling me how long your floats are? I made my own floats out of blue foam in December. I think they were 27 inches long. The bows only stuck out about an inch infront of the propellor. When I applied full power on water the bows of the floats would go under water and the prop would hit the water. Yes I used full up elevator the whole time. I came home and made another pair and now I have 3 inches infront of the prop. Works great! I am shure my floats aern't built perfectly but they work.
Hey newkid... I think the problem with your floats is the angle they are mounted... shouldn't they run parallel with level flight? Seems like when you power it up the airplane will want to fly level and your floats will then be pointed down.

Quick Reply