500 g/17.5 oz. dc head pusher - the Minimum - Page 12 - RC Groups
Apr 15, 2009, 03:39 AM
Bill,

your second attempt looked and sounded very promising. The blades were certainly up to speed. Did you feel the lift when you levelled her after the initial spin-up? At this point you ought to apply enough power to counter the drag of the blades, then hold her lightly and watch, if she's trying to lean over to one side. If she does, trim her upright. Then, before you shove her into the air, apply full power and try to release her as upright as possible. In the video it seemed as if she was leaning a bit to the right on release. And launch her directly into the wind.

Jochen
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2009, 08:11 AM
Video is great I always used it to show my son how he was hooking the ball when he was pitching in little league. other wise it was yea yea dad I don't hook it you don't know what your talking about till you set him down in front of the T V and run the tape. Humble pie is so hard to eat don't you agree. Only if you don't learn from it then it can be a great desert. Anyway I think I have a better understanding of what went wrong and how to correct it.So back to the field today for round 2. See you in the movies Bill
Apr 15, 2009, 09:00 AM
RC Group therapist
Hello Bill,
I was also wondering if your radio was mode 1 or 2? I have mode two(throttle on the left stick). I hold my gyros with my left hand for hand launches so that my right hand is already on the pitch/roll stick to make immeadiate corrections if required(Just a technique, not suggesting it's the only way). I mention this because I started flying gyros without the benifit of a forum or any other type of outside assistance which resulted in way too many launches that resembled your video. I started out launching right handed because it felt more comfortable, but there was a delay getting to the pitch/roll stick, but I switched to the "awkward feeling" launch hand to fix this problem. I set the throttle high enough to ensure it will overcome the rotor drag with my right hand (left holding the model), and when the rotors are up to speed level it and just extend my arm and release it without throwing it. In short I'm saying that my opinion would be to launch with your throttle hand(mode 1 or 2) so the other hand is already manipulating the pitch/roll stick.
Good luck with your testing today Bill. Don't mean to ramble on, I'm just attempting to be helpful. Waiting with anticipation for your next video.
Regards,
-Mike
Apr 15, 2009, 11:52 AM
Mike : your right I think that would be an good option and I think I will try it. I just came back from the field and NO JOY, After the blades spin up and I turn it level to release it seems to loose lift and the blades stall out the motor doesn't seem to take over to thrust it forward and it drops like a rock maybe at 2 lbs. its too heavy. Also my shims are balsa and got chewed up on the last mishap so I am going to make them out of lite ply. Also my hing material might be letting the blades cone too much negatively that is too far down on the return side of the rotation.if you can understand what I am trying to say. All things to ponder while I go back to work for 4 more nights. 4 on and 4 off is nice but nights suck. BILL
Apr 15, 2009, 12:46 PM
Bill,

if you get the feeling that you are loosing lift when you turn her level, turn her back a bit again until lift returns and then shove her horizontally into the air with the nose still up. I hope for a better result next time.

Jochen
Apr 22, 2009, 10:53 AM

Well Back To The Drawing Board

Like you say if you build it from scratch you know how to REBUILD IT !!!
So with that in mind I have already started on the rebirth. This time I am going for R O G. I can't seem to let go. and the receiver wire will no get in the way. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zU4flhlOGVg
Apr 22, 2009, 04:50 PM
Bill,

when I still used those long antenna wires, I wrapped them all around the gyro. From the receiver to the left wheel, from the left wheel to the tail, from the tail to the right wheel, from the right wheel to the front, the rest kept dangling. After reading this you'll know why I got fed up with the situation.

Jochen
Apr 23, 2009, 12:10 PM
I've been wrapping the long wire antenna around a 10" plastic beverage straw. Watch that the wire does not wrap over itself. The ends are cello taped to the straw and the straw is then either taped to the fuse or just layed inside if a built-up fuse. I've not had a crash due to loss of range, the only excuse I can't blame my crashes on.

I agree also that you need to level the fuse out on both axes and watch for the wind direction. ROG's are ok but leave less time to correct for a rollover. Let the bird fly off the ground. Don't horse it or it will roll. If you're losing a lot of rotor speed when you level out, check the blade pitch and adjust. It's a compromise.
Apr 23, 2009, 03:36 PM
Ok Gentlemen Both sound advise,below you can see I went with the
TIM ALLEN approach Sent away to Binford Tool and got MORE POWER
oh oh oh. I think this one wants to fly I increased all sections of mast and fus. by 1/2 made a new mast head and of coarse landing gear with a steerable front wheel. no tail feathers yet. coming soon. Got to back to work tonight so I will be a mole for a few days . See ya soon Bill

Only Break What You Can Afford !
Apr 26, 2009, 08:33 AM
RC Group therapist
Peter,
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you had a new project in the planning/development stages, is that the case? I hope so, can't wait to see what you're working on!
It would be nice to see some more videos of your minimum as well, I'm sure the flights are expanding the envelope with the gained experience. Any aerobatic stuff yet? I'm still building one at some point, I've got more projects than time for now.
Regards,
-Mike
Apr 26, 2009, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boneswamped
Peter,
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that you had a new project in the planning/development stages, is that the case? I hope so, can't wait to see what you're working on!
Building gyros has for the time being rather dropped down my list of priorities I'm afraid.
Quote:
It would be nice to see some more videos of your minimum as well, I'm sure the flights are expanding the envelope with the gained experience. Any aerobatic stuff yet? I'm still building one at some point, I've got more projects than time for now.
Regards,
-Mike
Same problem here.... Only my "other projects" are not RC related..
http://www.peteronion.org.uk/Elliott/PIC803.html
PeterO_UK
Apr 26, 2009, 04:54 PM
Peter,

for the uninitiated, what is an 803?

Jochen
Apr 27, 2009, 03:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JochenK
Peter,

for the uninitiated, what is an 803?

Jochen
Just go up one level to http://www.peteronion.org.uk/Elliott/
PeterO_UK
May 05, 2009, 01:38 AM
RC Group therapist
Hello Peter,
Nearly all of what you've posted about your other projects went screaming over my head like a super-sonic jet. The bits I could understand were interesting. So anyway, looking forward to more Minimum stuff from you, and here's to hopes you're able to find some free time for flying.
Regards,
-Mike