This thread is privately moderated by the wiz, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 15, 2006, 11:26 PM
---Before you fly that first flight of the day, check everything.
---Before the very first flight of a new plane, have a friend look at and check everything even though you've been flying 30 years. Do I really have to list ALL the reasons why?
-----------------Bill
Latest blog entry: Summer temps
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2006, 01:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky Paul
Don't wear sandals when working with an X-Acto knife.
So true! I had socks on and my X-Acto knife rolled off my workbench and stuck into me, It also likes it stick into your thigh's when you're wearing light pants.

The best tip i got so far was: Do it right the first time.
Jul 16, 2006, 09:45 AM
My best building tip has been to keep everything as light as you dare. Less weight means less power needed, less lead for balancing, increased performance, increased economy, increased durability and most of all increased enjoyment!

Robert
Jul 16, 2006, 12:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by the wiz
GREAT responses/advice so far. i think the award for the funniest has to go to JWFEATHER. i really love this hobby and the people that make up this forum are great. keep it up. i'd like to hear more. many thanks.
I must be missing something--- Why was Ez bends funny?
Jul 16, 2006, 08:57 PM
Creations Aberration
Patience is a virtue...
Jul 16, 2006, 11:58 PM
Not now, Kato! Not now!
Here's some I got from an ER nurse --

1) Never try to open a stuck CA cap by biting and twisting it.
2) Never store your CA near your eye drops.
3) If you've made your wife mad, never go to sleep without locking up your CA first.

And one from me - When at the work bench, always have your CA debonder within an arm's reach.

Dave
Jul 17, 2006, 12:14 AM
1. Get a reasonably good radio or sound system for shop.

2. Do not run out of tasty Microbrews, especially ESB!

3. A strop and proper abrasive will work magic at keeping blades so sharp you do not dare touch them with too many ESB's cursing through your veins!
Jul 17, 2006, 01:04 AM
Dashing Rogue Smuggler
Think ahead:
You can never have too many exacto blades, tubes/bottles of glue, sheets of sandpaper in all grits, solder, piano wire, control horns, etc.
It sucks when you've got several hours of time to yourself on a Sunday evening to devote to building and you've run out of one of the essentials and all the stores are closed.
Also, when you are "flying" your supergirl daughter down the hall to her room to tuck her in for the night and start wondering where her center of gravity is... it might be time to take a break from the planes for a day or so.

Rich
Jul 17, 2006, 05:04 AM
Thread OP
sorry, not pokeing fun, but, Ez didn't/ doesn't sound so ez. jmo of course
Jul 17, 2006, 02:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karrde
Think ahead:
You can never have too many exacto blades, tubes/bottles of glue, sheets of sandpaper in all grits, solder, piano wire, control horns, etc.
"Enough clamps" is an oxymoron.
Jul 17, 2006, 03:07 PM
aka: A.Roger Wilfong
All good so far...

Not all building tips, but...

1) It's easier to take a gram off of 100 parts than to take 100 grams off the finished model.
2) Never grab for a falling knife or soldering iron.
3) Quit for the day if you've made 3 mistakes.
4) If the glue has already set, sleep on it before you try to fix what you just messed up.
5) When you crash, pick up all the pieces and do an inventory before you leave the crash site.

- Roger
Jul 17, 2006, 11:19 PM
Some restrictions apply
Never use that fancy glue while wearing your favorite shirt.
Jul 18, 2006, 03:30 AM
Thread OP
okay, since so many have passed on some great tips and since i asked the question in the first place, i thought it only proper to pass 1 along. think "outside the box". a chair is only a chair if you use it for that purpose. a hardhat is a bucket if you use it to carry water. problems are more difficult than challenges. any challenge can either be a stumbleing block or a building block. and finally dumpster dive (especially in the business district and upper scale neighborhoods) from trash to treasure. you'll save money in the long run.
Jul 18, 2006, 03:54 AM
Light and floaty does it
1. Cheap servos are always a false economy.
2. Don't try to build models when you're feeling ill. You'll make a pig's ear of it. I do, anyway.
Jul 20, 2006, 08:43 PM
De-Brushed user
Build to fly, not to crash.

When inverted, down is up, and up is expensive.

Quick Reply