Jul 13, 2006, 10:06 PM
Actual Model Aviator.
Thread OP
Cool

Half Footy

hi, i just had to post this little thing im building, i printed the footy plans on normal paper, just for fun i cut up some thin basswood, heres what i have so far, its the mock up for my footy schooner.. more to come
mike
to remove ads between posts
Jul 13, 2006, 11:14 PM
floating and flying
So neat! Can't wait to see your schooner as well. Gaff rig?
Jul 13, 2006, 11:26 PM
Actual Model Aviator.
Thread OP
im debating ,, its gonna be hard to get 2 mast on this thing,, maybe a long bowsprit, with a huge jib, and a gaff rigged main, ill have to play around withthe mini one and see, iv been looning around at some footy kits and plans, so i have some options, ill keep you updated, heres a genaric idea, any suggesting would be great!
mike
Jul 14, 2006, 12:54 AM
micro yacht nut.....
I built and sailed a 1/2 size "Bobabout"
you need a complete radio system from one of those mini cars or similar.
My radio came in at 19 g and quite frankly its a little heavy and the components not powerfull enough.The gear exists to make it work but will run you some serious coin.
A half size "Bobabout" has only 1/8 the displacment as the full size version.
Jul 14, 2006, 10:03 AM
Actual Model Aviator.
Thread OP
cool,, this one will be free floater, im not gonna get the gear for this one, being a mock up model for the biger one i plan to build, gotta work tell 11pm so wont have much time to work on it
mike
Jul 14, 2006, 10:49 PM
Actual Model Aviator.
Thread OP
well got it sanded good, the sides are flush with the side panals now, should get a bit more done tonight, i just printed the laser footy plans on 14 ich paper, now im hooked on footys
mike
Jul 14, 2006, 10:54 PM
Why not a cat rigged yawl?
Jul 14, 2006, 11:06 PM
Actual Model Aviator.
Thread OP
gotta pic ??not sure how that is set up
mike
Jul 15, 2006, 11:02 AM

Footy Sail Rig

Not sure if I have my terms correct. Anyway this is a cat rig with mizzen. I think it would look really cool on a footy! (Drawing is a Bolger Micro.)
Jul 15, 2006, 11:26 AM
Here is another of Bolger's designs that I have in my files. A boat becomes a yawl when the mizzen is placed aft of the helm. If it is ahead of the helm it is a ketch rig. I am working on a sharpie schooner which should be done pretty soon, if I get the time
Bob
Jul 15, 2006, 09:47 PM
Actual Model Aviator.
Thread OP
cool, ill check it out,, kinda odd looking tho,, will see how it goes, gotta get stuff ready for float fly
mike
Jul 16, 2006, 10:13 PM
Actual Model Aviator.
Thread OP
well i got the ideas in motion, heres waht i have so far, i play to sheet a chine in on the hul to give more flaotation ans better looks, doing now
mike
Jul 17, 2006, 08:54 PM
Actual Model Aviator.
Thread OP

hull chives done!

well i got the shape finalized, this thing looks more like a big baot ina small hull haha, trying to decide if i want to make a weighted keel, or just add the weight in the bottom chine space..
mike
Jul 17, 2006, 09:30 PM
Skipper
Wow, looks great PV51. I thought my sub-footy was small.

I just put mine in the water with sails for the first time. Fixed rudder and sail trim but it moved when a puff of wind caught it. It certainly accerated faster than my old toy boat ever did. It's a little over 10 inches, 4 inch keel with 4 oz of weight, and a 16 inch mast. This is really fun.

I'm probably not going to put electronics in the little one. It'll just be my daughter's free sailing play toy. Attached pic for your enjoyment.

Now I need to work on my real footy. The hull is mostly ready. I need to build the rudder, keel, and rig. The nylon/polyurethane covering came out nice. Getting a final smooth finish is tricky though. I also need to make a quick measurement box so I can make sure to stay class legal.
Jul 17, 2006, 09:40 PM
Actual Model Aviator.
Thread OP
sweet, this one will be free sailing as well, more for looks then anythng, if it works ill build a full footy the same way , the hull is 6 inches, bow sprite so far and hull 8.5 inxhes, so this thing is tiny!!!, i plan to plank the deck with 1/16th balsa hahaha may be even the hull sides gonna see if the store has it,, more to come!
mike

Quick Reply